Nightime Photography

Yecora99
Posted 17/03/2012 - 22:42 Link
Hello,

I live close to the Medlock Valley and have noticed on a few occasions what looks like an Owl in the trees behind where I live.

I noticed it earlier this week at about 11:30PM.

How would I go about trying to take a photograph of the Owl in such awkward conditions?

Best Regards,

Paul
Quote:
Pentax K5D, Pentax 16-45mm f4 DA ED AL, Pentax 55-300mm ED, Pentax 100mm Macro f2.8 D-FA, Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 170-500mm.
Smeggypants
Posted 18/03/2012 - 02:09 Link
Long exposure and hope it doesn't move.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Tringa
Posted 20/03/2012 - 12:55 Link
As owls sometime sit very still a long exposure and high ISO may be possible.

Flash could also be used if the distance is not too great. I'm always a bit wary about using flash with animals as it could easily scare them. The problem is you never know the effect it will have until afterwards. Recently I took some photos of a pine marten with flash and there was no reaction.

I'm guessing the owl was a Tawny. If so, they rest up in trees during the day. It can take a while but it is possible to spot them resting and much easier to get a photo.

When young tawny owls leave the nest they cannot fly but clamber about in the branches. They call for food from the parents so it is sometimes possible to find the little ones more easily.

Dave
AxelLuther
Posted 21/03/2012 - 20:23 Link
I would also try tourch lighting
I practiced a bit last year (check here for first results )
You can light very selective with a torch not turning the whole foreground into an almost overexposed whit area and the owl might not be too shocked (or it will fly away - but hey - no risk no fun )
_____________________________________________

Colors are the lack of darkness

You find more of my pictures here: https://pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/axelluther or on my web page: www.axel-luther.com

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo