Newbie Seeks Advice

brigOdon

Link Posted 07/02/2016 - 20:43
Hi

Having done a class at a local studio, I'm now inspired to get into 'studio' lighting using off camera flashes. I've picked up a soft box, brolly and stand and am hunting for a decent second hand background support system.

I have a K5 iiS and a Metz 52af1 and 1 radio trigger.

Am I right in thinking that for my 2nd flash I can use any flash (not necessarily a Pentax compatible one) as long as it operates in slave mode? I understand the line of sight restrictions.

Grateful for any advice and guidance.

Thanks

Ian
Last Edited by brigOdon on 07/02/2016 - 20:44

McGregNi

Link Posted 08/02/2016 - 00:19
How are you operating the Metz? Are you using the camera built-in flash as trigger? And what do you do with the radio trigger ... (Do you mean you have a transmitter and a receiver ?.... Tell us what exactly).

Really need to know this information before anyone could venture further suggestions I feel.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 08/02/2016 - 00:20

brigOdon

Link Posted 09/02/2016 - 18:41
Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate it.

I currently have 1 radio transmitter with a single receiver.

I intend fitting the receiver to the Metz and firing it using the camera mounted transmitter. My original thought was to use the 'new' (cheap and second hand) flash as a slave operated optically, but am coming round to the idea that I need to buy more receivers and fire both flashes wirelessly. The 'new' flash will have manual adjustment to vary the output.

Does that make any more sense?

Thanks

McGregNi

Link Posted 09/02/2016 - 20:27
Sure, if you're already using a radio trigger then it makes sense to expand that system to two. For me, the next step up from that starting point would be a radio system that allowed remote control over manual power levels on the two flashes.

This is likely to be a system that offers 'group' control, in your case each flash would be one group. The added convenience and speed of being able to fine tune and experiment with the brightness of each flash, and all from the cameras position, is a huge benefit for manual working.

The two systems I know of that offer this and work with Pentax cameras are Cactus and Yongnuo. I can tell you about how the Cactus work, because that's what I use, but there are some experienced users of Yongnuo gear around on this site also who should be able to advise on that system.

With the Metz unit, to gain power control remotely, you need a radio system that supports the flash specifically or can be 'profiled' to learn it's power and control it in ratios. For your second flash then choosing a native unit from your radio system will ensure it has the power control capability built-in.

Let us know the model of radio equipment you already have and any particular flashes you've been looking at, and I'm sure between us all here we can come up with some workable solutions.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

brigOdon

Link Posted 11/02/2016 - 21:22
Hi

To get me going and for budgetary reasons, I've bought some cheap radio triggers which work with the Metz and the 'new' flash, which is a Vivitar 285. These only work with the camera in flash sync speed mode, but that's ok for now, I can adjust the output on each of the flashes manually.

I can see the advantage of a compatible setup which would allow TTL or perhaps TTL HSS, and controlling output from the camera sounds like a great idea. One day....

Thanks again for your advice.

Happy snapping.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.