New AF360FGZ problem

fatspider

Link Posted 04/02/2016 - 19:23
The above is acting up, alternatively I'm an idiot and can't figure it out.

It won't respond to either the K5 or K3II, neither camera will adjust shutter speed when the flash is attached and charged, or even fire it, the zoom on the flash doesn't respond either, if I try and change the mode with the mode button it seems to only allow TTL or PTTLW, I can set Master or Control with the set button but other than that it all seems a bit hit and miss.

I've been through the manual and can't find any troubleshooting advice or even if there's a way to factory reset the settings.

Should add this is the WR version.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

McGregNi

Link Posted 04/02/2016 - 19:37
I'd make sure the batteries are all new, and be careful that the flash is fully seated into the hotshoe .... is the rotating lock-down lever fully to the left when you are putting the flash on? Make sure it is and then lock the flash down by turning it to the right securely. This is the obvious stuff which you no doubt were sensitive to, but it does sound like some sort of poor connection issue.

Is this a brand new flash Alan, and if not has it been working OK previously?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

fatspider

Link Posted 04/02/2016 - 19:49
It was new last November and has only been used a couple of times, I did think it was the batteries but they've been fully charged and it made no difference, and the recharge times are fast when using the test button to fire.

Oddly enough I tried it just after posting and lo and behold it worked, although when I tried to change the settings with the mode button it refused to go back to PTTL, I've just had a play again and if wiggled about on the hotshoe I can get it to work, yes I am making sure the locking lever is secure.

Now I've got it to respond (in a fashion) it will switch on (off the camera) and display PTTL, it wouldn't even do that before.

It going to get tested every day for the next couple of weeks, if it continues to play up I'll be sending it back to get it checked out.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

McGregNi

Link Posted 04/02/2016 - 20:03
So just check this Alan ...... off the camera, in your hand ..... will it switch on and display P-TTL? You should now be able to cycle through the modes, including M and P-TTL W (this should give the options for setting 'master / control / slave') ?

When set to the slave mode your K5II should be able to trigger it from its pop-up flash (check the camera flash mode is on 'wireless'). If none of this is working properly then clearly the flash is faulty and its not just a connection issue.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

fatspider

Link Posted 04/02/2016 - 20:20
I can do that......now

But when it was acting up even off camera it wouldn't cycle to PTTL

Like I said I'm going to keep an eye on it, may just have been a glitch through lack of use, but any more episodes and it will be getting returned.

Thanks for the input.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

McGregNi

Link Posted 04/02/2016 - 21:18
One other thing that might be causing confusion .... In any automatic camera exposure mode (P, Av, Tv etc) the flash must operate in P-TTL mode, and it will keep flicking back to P-TTL whenever you half-press the shutter.

If you set manual camera exposure mode then you should be able to cycle reliably between the flash modes, and they should hold.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.