Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

ganners
Posted 24/06/2008 - 08:52 Link
Hello everyone

I have been lurking here for a while - thought it was about time I said hello.

I've been interested in photography in for some time and used film SLRs in the 90s. I was thinking of getting back into SLR photography and then couldn't resist the value of the K10!

I work in IT and so qualify as a bit of a geek. I understand technology and also have a reasonable grasp of the 'theory' of photography but generally take crap pictures! I don't think I have the eye for it.

Still, I'm looking forward for the chance to practice and improve.

Cheers
Paul
K10D, Kit 18-55, Sigma 70-300 APO, Mecablitz AF48
ChrisA
Posted 24/06/2008 - 09:04 Link
ganners wrote:
generally take crap pictures! I don't think I have the eye for it.

I don't believe (except possibly with rare exceptions) that people either 'have' or 'don't have' the eye for it.

I think most people develop it, if they're motivated, and work hard at learning from their mistakes. Some will develop quicker than others, as with other things in life, but as with those things, effort plays a big part.

Even recognising that your pictures are crap is a good start, and I'd put money on it being the place most of us were at, at one time.

Welcome!
hefty1
Posted 24/06/2008 - 10:14 Link
Welcome ganners!

Have a go at entering the weekly competition or post some photos in the gallery - the feedback you get can go a long way in improving your pictures. Other than that it's all down to practice, practice, practice...
Joining the Q
Father Ted
Posted 24/06/2008 - 13:25 Link
ganners wrote:
Hello everyone
I understand technology and also have a reasonable grasp of the 'theory' of photography but generally take crap pictures! I don't think I have the eye for it.

Still, I'm looking forward for the chance to practice and improve.

Cheers
Paul

Hi Paul!

Sounds like you are already one step ahead of where I am at the moment

But I've got to say these are a really nice bunch of folks who'll help you when you ask.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
johnriley
Posted 24/06/2008 - 16:45 Link
Welcome to the forum! I'll look forward to seeing lots of posts and perhaps some images?

Just to take up the point though of whether or not people "have" or "don't have" an eye for images, my experience is that some definitely do.

Down at the club lots of new members come through and over the years it's apparent that the male ones have loads of technical knowledge but in general have to work at the aesthetics a bit. The female ones in general don't worry too much about the technicalities but definitely have a keen eye for composition and what generally makes a great picture. I stress again in general beacuse there are also many notable exceptions to this.

One exception was H---- who I persuaded to enter the year's competitions as I thought he'd do well and would put in some interesting images. Well he just won everything, with apparently no effort whatsoever. Classic shot after classic shot....

The rest of us mere mortals have to work harder than that!
Best regards, John
ChrisA
Posted 24/06/2008 - 17:00 Link
johnriley wrote:
Just to take up the point though of whether or not people "have" or "don't have" an eye for images, my experience is that some definitely do.

Interesting to note the male/female difference, John, and of course no one would be surprised that there's the occasional prodigy.

I was just picking up on the OP's "I don't think I've got it" comment. It would be a terrible shame if someone bought a camera, took a few pictures, concluded from the results that he (or she!) didn't have the eye, and gave up.

As you say, most of us have to work harder than that.
johnriley
Posted 24/06/2008 - 17:11 Link
It might be interesting to have a few of us post two images - a very early one and a current one, just to show how far we have progressed since our first tentative efforts.

When I get a moment I'll have a look in my early archive and see what I might dare to show!
Best regards, John
ChrisA
Posted 24/06/2008 - 18:59 Link
johnriley wrote:
It might be interesting to have a few of us post two images - a very early one and a current one, just to show how far we have progressed since our first tentative efforts.

I could do that... or I could just post one of my relatively few current decent ones, and one from my gazillions of current drossy ones.
Mac
Posted 24/06/2008 - 19:22 Link
My daughters can pick up a point and shoot (digital or 35mm) and blow me away.

Both myself and evil Nikon brother in law spend hours discussing all the physics and formulae, but neither of us get one shot in a hundred worth keeping.

The ladies on this forum, well outnumbered by us technogeeks, show amazing creativity with their submissions.

I don't have to look any further than our Lady from Cornwall who regularly floors me in B&W.

So, I agree with John.

How about Gerri from Winnipeg, Don? You invent gear and software. Who has the best eye?

Anyone else?
Mac from Montreal

SP, SPII, SPF, PZ-10, P30, SFX, K110D, istDS, Optio 60, Z-10, H90, RZ10, I-10, f3.5 28mm, f1.8 55mm, f1.4 50mm, f3.5 135mm, f2.5 135mm, f4 50mm Macro, f4.5 80-200 F, f4 35-70, f3.5 28-80, f3.5 35-135, f3.5 18-55, f1.8 31mm Ltd., two Auto 110's, Auto 110 lenses and filters, tubes, bellows, Manfrottos and a sore back.
ganners
Posted 24/06/2008 - 19:50 Link
Thanks to all for the welcoming words.

Mac wrote:
The ladies on this forum, well outnumbered by us technogeeks, show amazing creativity with their submissions.

I thought it was a left/right brain thing? The lefties (I think) are inately artistic with skills in music, art and composition (words that is). Righties tend to be accountants and IT Managers.

Photography may fall more into the middle ground as something which can be learned or copied. I could 'copy' the composition of a great photograph and get it almost right - I couldn't copy a great drawing or painting!

A friend and colleague of mine takes jaw-droppingly good pictures (I have seen 20 or more which are just stunning - wildlife mainly). I would love to create just one like that!

Paul
K10D, Kit 18-55, Sigma 70-300 APO, Mecablitz AF48
Classvino
Posted 24/06/2008 - 20:11 Link
ChrisA wrote:
...Even recognising that your pictures are crap is a good start...

Sounds like a 12 step program...

"Hi. My name is Jamie, and I take crappy photographs. It had been 3 days since I took a crappy picture, but yesterday... well... I did it again..."

--------------
MZ-6,K10D,K20D,Grip,DA*Zooms,DA 18-55-200 Kit,FA50,1.7TC,AFZ360
For Saleentax FA28-90,FA100-300,Sigma EX28-80,DC18-200,
Makinon 500mm Mirror
amoringello
Posted 24/06/2008 - 20:24 Link
Hi, my name is Tony and I take crappy photos.
I stopped taking crappy pictures for a month, but my wife said I really should take the camera back out of the closet since I had spent so much money on it...
click, crap, click, argh!, click, eek, click, smash!... oops

I like the idea of posting current and past photos. Maybe a side competition for the greatest improvement, lack of improvement and/or greatest decline - heaven forbid.
yelvertoft
Posted 26/06/2008 - 18:49 Link
I agree with John's generalisation. My wife is teaching me why that thing that I thought of as foreground interest is really just a load of clutter, and I'm teaching her why her technique of press and hope isn't making the best of her artistic eye. We're both learning and spending quality time together. It's fun.
Don
Posted 26/06/2008 - 18:57 Link
Welcome!
Quote:
How about Gerri from Winnipeg, Don? You invent gear and software. Who has the best eye?

Well Mac, Gerri wears contacts.. I don't.
talk about being put on the spot....
kinda like that question we men all hate being asked... "Does this make me look fat?" (the best answer of course is "Kill me. Kill me now. No, REALLY, I WANT TO DIE".... much better than "That outfit has nothing to do with it...It's your a$$ that makes you look fat".

Let's just say even with my best work, I wouldn't be able to feed myself, if it wasn't for Gerri's people skills.......
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Unlocker
Posted 26/06/2008 - 21:51 Link
I'm with you there Don!

Apparently, saying 'it doesn't matter what you wear sweetheart, you have a big bum so it will always look big' , is the wrong thing to say!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.