NEW TO FILM.

DERYN

Link Posted 11/05/2013 - 21:31
I have been looking at 35mm pentax film cameras with a view to possibly buying. I have been using a Pentax digital for a number of years and have some lenses I could use.

I have seen lots of models on ebay and I think a MX would be my choice. A good choice? But, what should I be checking before buying as I don't want to end up with a dud?

DERYN

johnriley

Link Posted 11/05/2013 - 22:56
There's more chance of a good MX that one of the electronic cameras, in some ways. They are sturdy, well made SLRs that are entirely manual in operation. They will work without batteries, which are only needed for the meter.

Try and find a little used one that has had a careful amateur owner, but many are stored incorrectly with the shutter cocked. This will weaken the springs after some time and lead to slow shutter speeds. So an overhaul may be needed. Store a manual shutter uncocked if possible.

A K1000 is not so nice, but is essentially the same spec and was made for longer, so more recent examples may be possible.

In all cases, replacement of foam seals may well be required. 1970s foam becomes dry and fragments or becomes sticky and gets everywhere. It's not difficult to replace or have replaced.
Best regards, John

DERYN

Link Posted 11/05/2013 - 23:04
Hi John, there are a couple of MX's on ebay at the moment. After reading your reply I've checked and a couple have had or will have new foam seals so thanks for the advise. Anything up to £100 seems to be the going price.

Not sure yet if to commit and buy one.

p.s. I have a 50mm 1.7 and 28mm 3.5 for starters.

DERYN
Last Edited by DERYN on 11/05/2013 - 23:06

johnriley

Link Posted 11/05/2013 - 23:07
I think there's one in the Classified section of this forum at the moment.
Best regards, John

DERYN

Link Posted 11/05/2013 - 23:15
Hi, I checked with the classifieds earlier and I didn't see any film cameras!

Yes just spotted it. I would only want a body so perhaps that would be a little cheaper. I'm looking at 2 on ebay at the moment.

DERYN
Last Edited by DERYN on 11/05/2013 - 23:24

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 12/05/2013 - 00:14
The MX is pretty but don't overlook the P series cameras which are pretty trouble free, more ergonomic shutter speed dial, and cost peanuts. The light seals do not have foam in them. I would grab a P30 and start shooting while you await an MX at the right price. Careful of CBBA though. (Cheap body buying addiction).
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

gartmore

Link Posted 12/05/2013 - 06:25
You didn't mention which lenses you have so be aware that many modern DA lenses won't work very well because they don't have aperture rings and will not cover the entire 35mm frame.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

DERYN

Link Posted 12/05/2013 - 09:24
Hi and thanks, I will check out the P series cameras. CBBA? nah, not me!

The only 'modern' lens I have is the kit 18-55 and I won't be using that. I mentioned above that I will be using the 50mm 1.7 and the 28mm 3.5. I think both lenses are quite good.

And sorry for using capital letters for my post heading, it's usually not the 'done thing'.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 12/05/2013 - 15:08
The 50/1.7 and 28/3.5 are nice lenses!
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]

Hardgravity

Link Posted 12/05/2013 - 18:57
The MX is a good choice, don't discount the ME though, not as good as the ME Super but cheaper and readily available. Both these may need light seals doing though.

As for the P series, I like my P30 but would suggest either a P30n or t, they seem happier with M series lenses. Early P30 models don't always want to work with the older lenses.

Avoid the P50 though, nothing wrong with them just they're an electronic body and prone to not working. I know I had 3 before I found a good one.

Forgot to plug THIS SITE for my views on them all
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.
Last Edited by Hardgravity on 12/05/2013 - 18:58

Hardgravity

Link Posted 12/05/2013 - 19:04
Another thought, check out SRS HERE and order over the phone, tell them your Pentax user name and get free delivery.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

DERYN

Link Posted 12/05/2013 - 20:51
Thanks again for the info guys.

I will search for either an MX or a P30N. I will only want a body so the search is a little harder as most are sold with lenses.

If you got any more info do post please.

DERYN

johnha

Link Posted 12/05/2013 - 21:22
Hardgravity wrote:
As for the P series, I like my P30 but would suggest either a P30n or t, they seem happier with M series lenses. Early P30 models don't always want to work with the older lenses.

The original P30 only had Program & Manual exposure modes, the n & T added Aperture Priority. Using a lens without an 'A' on the aperture ring isn't as intuitive as it should be (at least for me).

The obvious choices (things that are plentiful and most likely to be reliable whilst offering full manual control) for me are: MX, K1000, ME-Super, P30n, P30T.

Desirable options (possibly less reliable - but great if you get a good one): Super-A, Program-A, P50.

All of the above should work just fine with M lenses.

I've limited it to manual focus bodies but there are countless AF options available: SF, Z & MZ series (IIRC a few of the MZ series don't offer open aperture metering with M series lenses?).

The most common problems I've had with electronic cameras have been faults with the shutter timing circuitry - the shutter fires but only at one speed (probably the x-sync speed) and not the one indicated by the camera. Mechanical shutters are more reliable but may not be as accurate or consistent.

DA lenses will only work in Shutter Priority or a Program modes (unless it's an AF body with HyperProgram or HyperManual available).

Regards,

John.
PPG Flickr

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 12/05/2013 - 22:10
I'd always recommend a P30 or P30N to beginners.

If you go for an MX, check that the light meter works, check that the seals and mirror buffer are intact and not sticky. Run a test film through it using all the main shutter speeds to make sure that they're accurate.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

DERYN

Link Posted 12/05/2013 - 23:18
Got my eye on a P30N body and will probably go for it. Cosmetically very good and everything working as it should

Deryn
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.