New to DSLRs

pschlute

Link Posted 29/06/2017 - 20:02
Final bit of advice....dont expect to master it all in a few months. I have at this malarky for 40 years and am still learning.
Peter

My Flickr page

stu62

Link Posted 30/06/2017 - 05:28
May I ask where you are from dale

DaleT

Link Posted 30/06/2017 - 18:00
I sometimes hesitate to admit this, but I am from the Washington, DC area (not a politician or directly affiliated with the Federal Gov't). But all I want to discuss on this forum is camera stuff.

And to the previous poster (Peter). That's good to hear. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of this camera and I've had it for over a month now.

davidstorm

Link Posted 30/06/2017 - 22:28
Welcome to the site Dale, it doesn't matter where you are from, hope you learn a lot of useful tips for your venture into the land of the DSLR!

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

davidwozhere

Link Posted 01/07/2017 - 00:58
You probably haven't a clue what they were talking about "over expose or under expose" and then arguing about it. The basic information about exposure is on page 93 of the manual. It's useful for your right thumb to get used to using the wheel on the back (it controls the exposure). They went on about 'histograms' too. That is on page 33 but it's only useful to know as opposed to necessary so don't worry yourself over that.

Some other jargon in the manual that's likely to mystify you: AV=aperture value, TV=Time value (or shutter speed) SV= sensitivity value and EV= exposure value. There is also a brief glossary on page 362-5

Now go and click at everything in sight. Pentax shutters are good for thousands and thousands of actuations so you won't break it!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

RobL

Link Posted 01/07/2017 - 08:24
Dale, you are right to start in auto mode and get to grips with the other camera functions. If you haven't already then get a decent book on photography basics, the manual can only tell you what the knobs do, if you like, but not how to use them. Next step I would suggest would be to experiment with TV (manually select shutter speed) and AV (manually select aperture) modes, which being semi-automatic will get an exposure generally right. Many pro photographers will just stick with one of these depending on their subject. Then try exposure compensation +/- to see what that does. If you are not sure about how the exposures are coming out try bracketing (it's in the manual!). After you have the hang of these try TAV mode where you can select both aperture speed and exposure but the camera selects the correct ISO to get the exposure right; just make sure in your settings you have not limited the ISO range too much.

When I first got my K50 I think it took me a year before I got to the end of the manual! The camera is like a computer programme, capable of a huge range of functions but you generally find that you just use those parts relevant to how you work, and the trick is learning how to use those to best effect.

McGregNi

Link Posted 01/07/2017 - 09:10
A camera manual is not the place to learn the fundamentals, it's more the way to find out how the fundamentals are specifically applied on your own camera.

But we need to know what we need to know firstly ! That's often the difficult part.

I recommend a good browse in Waterstones or a library ...there are a number of good general books on photography that have all been updated for the digital and DSLR world.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

stu62

Link Posted 01/07/2017 - 11:37
McGregNi wrote:
A camera manual is not the place to learn the fundamentals, it's more the way to find out how the fundamentals are specifically applied on your own camera.

But we need to know what we need to know firstly ! That's often the difficult part.

I recommend a good browse in Waterstones or a library ...there are a number of good general books on photography that have all been updated for the digital and DSLR world.

Or if you are not one for reading there is always phone a friend

tigershoot

Link Posted 01/07/2017 - 12:03
JAK wrote:
tigershoot wrote:
...3. Set the camera to always overexpose by 0.3 of a stop..

Just curious, why would you do that by default? Is it perhaps your camera underexposes a little?
It's normally easier to recover underexposure as opposed to over exposure, so deliberately overexposing would surely make the issue worse?

Hi Dale (by the way!)

I have used the K20 and the K5 and also the Kx and all tended to underexpose. My K3II is the otherway, it either gets it bang on or is overexposed. With experience I find that I know what type of shots are problematic and will lead to blown highlights and set the camera accordingly.
K3ii, K-5, K-x, DA150-450mm, DA16-85WR, DA16-45, DA18-55WR, DA18-135WR, DA35 F2.4, M100mm F4 Macro, DA55-300mm, FA50mm 1.4, AF360 Flash, AF540 Flash
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.