New to DSLR Buying advice required please.

Domingoan

Link Posted 26/05/2010 - 08:27
Hi

I'm completley new to the world of photography. In fact I'm that new I haven't purchased anything yet.

However I have decided i'd like a Pentax. I'm looking for an entry level camera and so I'm drawn towards the Km or Kx.

If anybody has the time I'd be much obliged for any advice, pros and cons of either model.

Also having difficulty tracking down any Km models, are they still available?

cheers.

bforbes

Link Posted 26/05/2010 - 09:13
Hi and welcome to the forum. I believe the K-m was replaced by the K-x sometime ago, so you may be looking for dealers with old stock or used. Good look with your hunt.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

flossie

Link Posted 26/05/2010 - 09:23
Hello and welcome!

Either are excellent choices for your first camera. I bought a Kx for a variety of reasons, but an important one was my lack of experience with a DSLR - and I've found it a fantastic tool to learn with.

Its not too complicated - very intuitive to use - rarely had to consult the manual, the buttons and menus are great (not confusing like other brands!). There's also a huge amount of support and help online from fellow users, both here and elsewhere, which is great when you are starting-out.

The big difference between them is the famous low-light ability of the Kx - basically you can turn the ISO (gain) up higher and get some fantastic shots in difficult conditions without lots of noise (splodgy mess in any black/dark areas) - so if you like to take shots indoors without flash, this would be a big advantage. If you are more interested in flowers or flash, its not so crucial.

Kx also is higher resolution (...not a big deal...) and has Live View (like on a point&shoot camera or mobile phone) - although I don't like this as its nowhere near as good as looking through the viewfinder, some people do.

I'd certainly recommend starting with the Kx/Km rather than a bigger camera such as the K7 or K20(0)D - the weight and size of the camera is quite important, a big camera has its advantages sometimes, but you need to become comfortable first, and if it weighs a ton you'll leave it at home and miss that magical shot!

The Kx replaced the Km, so you will only find the Km as stock-clearance or second hand. However, that means its cheaper...
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...

robbie_d

Link Posted 26/05/2010 - 10:33
I wouldn't rule out some of the older bodies either, like the ist DS. These can be had very cheaply (there is one with an 18-55mm kit lens on the classifieds right now), and have the advantage that when you feel you want to upgrade, will be able to command virtually the same price you paid for them. Either that or keep them as a second body.

I purchased a Samsung GX 1L (same as ist DL2) for my mum off this forum as her first serious camera. She loves it, and has produced some really good shots with it.

Looking around the galleries on this forum, you will see some stunning shots from these earlier cameras.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Last Edited by robbie_d on 26/05/2010 - 10:35

chaude

Link Posted 26/05/2010 - 13:50
i've recently just bought a ist DS off ebay, and I'm quite new to the world of dslrs, despite i've been exposed to a few on and off throughout the years since some mates own them, so i've used a variety of cameras..
getting an older body would mean that you pay less, and if you somehow decide that you don't like it or you're just not as into it as you thought you would've been, it won't cost you a fortune and you won't make a big loss.
my DS has served me very well indeed.

Anvh

Link Posted 26/05/2010 - 15:33
No doubt about it the K-X is the better camera, there is a newer sensor in it and newer hardware while the body is the same.

There is also the K200D, it has the same sensor as the K-M but it has a better body in mine honest opinion.
It's still small but slightly larger, it takes AA batteries, it's weather sealed, has top LCD screen, AF brackets in the viewfinder and you can buy a battery grip for it.
The battery grip can be handy when you want to use heavier/longer lenses since it would balance the package a bit better.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

rkt

Link Posted 26/05/2010 - 17:42
If you are out for a new camera then Kx should be the one... it has been getting rave reviews... to quote dpreview.com "A very impressive DSLR with an excellent feature set and possibly the best high ISO performance in its class. The lack of visible AF points is a frustrating omission, but if you can live with that the K-x is a little cracker, and a bargain too."

For second hand, depending on your budget, you will find a range of options like the K200D, K10D, K20D ... the last two are not entry level, but may keep you satisfied for longer as you grow your skill ...
regards,
rkt

Offertonhatter

Link Posted 26/05/2010 - 19:50
The Kx is indeed a stunning DSLR, I would choose over the Km anyday. Nice and small, uses AA batteries (a plus or minus depending on your point of view) and really excellent low light performance. It even puts the K-7 in the shade on this (so to speak).
However, you can still get brand new K200D and K20D bodies in shops in the UK (not sure where you are Andy), for less than a new Kx. I have three bodies, namely the istDS, the K10D and the K20D. Each is excellent. All three have pentaprism viewfinders, unlike the Kx,Km and K200D, but I won't go into technicalities as to why.
Personally, I would say, that going for a K20D would be a better choice, but it is not a "beginners" DSLR. However if you are willing to learn and work with the camera, it will reward you even more than the Kx. But if you are happier with the Kx then that is the one for you.
If you need to know where you can get a new K20D, then let me know, but they are not far from me (Bolton). Whoops, there is a clue.....
Hope this helps.
Some Cameras

Mannesty

Link Posted 26/05/2010 - 20:58
Whatever you do, don't be in a hurry to splash out on a load of lenses until you know what types of subjects you prefer to shoot.

The twin lens kit is an ideal 'all-rounder' kit with the 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses. They'll probably cover 95% or more of your needs in the short term.

Beware, Lens Buying Addiction (LBA) has no known cure and is usually a very steep and expensive learning curve.

Also, don't expect award winning results from the on-board flash. If you feel you need to progress to flash, seek advice here before buying.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

grahamwalton

Link Posted 26/05/2010 - 21:52
I have recently added the KX to my Pentax collection. I am very impressed with it's performance and have not touched my K20 since I bought the KX. I am currently experimenting with the auto HDR modes, where the KX takes 3 photos at different exposures and merges them into one. I recommend getting Sanyo Eneloop or Uniross Hybrio rechargeable batteries with the KX.
Friendly Regards
Graham

Domingoan

Link Posted 27/05/2010 - 04:56
Thanks for the advice and opions everybody.
For once I'm looking forward to shopping!

cheers

Andy

Anvh

Link Posted 27/05/2010 - 15:36
Domingoan wrote:
Thanks for the advice and opions everybody.
For once I'm looking forward to shopping!

Just wait when you've LBA
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Transit

Link Posted 28/05/2010 - 07:00
Mannesty wrote:

Beware, Lens Buying Addiction (LBA) has no known cure and is usually a very steep and expensive learning curve.

I have to challenge this wild claim!
Now that I have the DA14,DA40, FA50/2.8,FA100/2.8, K50/1.2 M50/1.4, M50/1.7,M135/3.5, M200/4, 24,28,35,50,105,135,200 Takumars, Tamron 90/2.5, 90/2.8, 300/5.6 etc,I'm confident that I am cured.

Pete
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
Last Edited by Transit on 28/05/2010 - 07:03

Mannesty

Link Posted 28/05/2010 - 09:07
Transit wrote:
Mannesty wrote:

I have to challenge this wild claim!
Now that I have the DA14,DA40, FA50/2.8,FA100/2.8, K50/1.2 M50/1.4, M50/1.7,M135/3.5, M200/4, 24,28,35,50,105,135,200 Takumars, Tamron 90/2.5, 90/2.8, 300/5.6 etc,I'm confident that I am cured.

Pete

You are not cured, just in remission. At some time in the future it'll resurface and persuade you to take your wallet shopping again. Trust me, I know.

Impressive line-up of lenses, but . . ., wait a minute . . ., I don't see an FA 135mm 1:2.8 in your list. Can you feel the urge? See, It's coming back .... and as it happens, I have one for sale.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 28/05/2010 - 09:10

Transit

Link Posted 28/05/2010 - 10:46
Mannesty wrote:

Impressive line-up of lenses, but . . ., wait a minute . . ., I don't see an FA 135mm 1:2.8 in your list. Can you feel the urge? See, It's coming back .... and as it happens, I have one for sale.

Thanks but my wallet is closed, my will is iron.

er... an FA135/2.8 you say...
did you have a figure in mind ?
K-1 K-01 Q-7
some len

Close to the Edge
Down by the River
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.