New Optio W80
Posted 04/07/2009 - 15:15
Link
Looks cool!
28-140mm plus 5x zoom is good, even if I would have preferred it thinner with extensible zoom (probbaly it is not compatible with the all the *proof!
How are pentax compact cameras? I have got a canon ixus
28-140mm plus 5x zoom is good, even if I would have preferred it thinner with extensible zoom (probbaly it is not compatible with the all the *proof!
How are pentax compact cameras? I have got a canon ixus
Posted 04/07/2009 - 15:51
Link
I really don't know, average I believe.
I quite like the *proof of this, many others don't have that certainly not with a lens comparable with a 28mm lens on fullframe.
The price is around $299.95 USD
I quite like the *proof of this, many others don't have that certainly not with a lens comparable with a 28mm lens on fullframe.
The price is around $299.95 USD
Posted 04/07/2009 - 18:20
Link
It's a bloody handy little camera, and if you like getting wet, it's good fun to have in your pocket/trunks. The quality of the W60 is distinctly average and I suspect that cramming even more unwanted pixels in the 80 has only made things worse.
Posted 09/07/2009 - 22:28
Link
Maybe it's a silly question, but it seems to me that waterproof cameras don't have any lens protection? I thought about such a camera but I would worry all the time about possible scratches.
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Posted 10/07/2009 - 08:26
Link
misiek_knm wrote:
Maybe it's a silly question, but it seems to me that waterproof cameras don't have any lens protection? I thought about such a camera but I would worry all the time about possible scratches.
It fine, worry not!Maybe it's a silly question, but it seems to me that waterproof cameras don't have any lens protection? I thought about such a camera but I would worry all the time about possible scratches.
The lens elements move inside the body and the front element is recessed enough. I actually put camera down lens side down to protect the screen. I carry it in a sock or my pocket.
Posted 10/07/2009 - 22:28
Link
I rather worry about fingerprints, smears etc, getting on the glass all the time (like it happens with phone (mobile) cameras. Then dust / sand, just name it scratching it. Possibly I'm totally wrong, I just have that feeling...
Then, you might be right, if I carry the camera in a pouch it should be protected. Hmmmm...
Then, you might be right, if I carry the camera in a pouch it should be protected. Hmmmm...
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Posted 11/07/2009 - 00:42
Link
If it's waterproof to 15 feet then it should withstand a dunking in a washing up bowl with some Fairy Liquid...
Joining the Q
Posted 11/07/2009 - 19:07
Link
misiek_knm wrote:
I rather worry about fingerprints, smears etc, getting on the glass all the time (like it happens with phone (mobile) cameras. Then dust / sand, just name it scratching it. Possibly I'm totally wrong, I just have that feeling...
Then, you might be right, if I carry the camera in a pouch it should be protected. Hmmmm...
Although the picture above shows the lens uncovered, I suspect it's like other Optios that have a lens cover that automatically closes as the camera is switched off.
I rather worry about fingerprints, smears etc, getting on the glass all the time (like it happens with phone (mobile) cameras. Then dust / sand, just name it scratching it. Possibly I'm totally wrong, I just have that feeling...
Then, you might be right, if I carry the camera in a pouch it should be protected. Hmmmm...
~Pete
Posted 11/07/2009 - 19:24
Link
Like this:
[IMG]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/lime501/20D07026.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/lime501/20D07026.jpg[/IMG]
~Pete
Posted 11/07/2009 - 22:11
Link
Oh, that would be fantastic But on every single picture of the camera I've seen (oh, the same about other water-proof P&P cameras) the lens is not covered. Thanks for that then
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Posted 11/07/2009 - 23:00
Link
the W60 lens is uncovered, but it really doesn't matter.
If you want this sort of camera then you'll love it. But check the image quality and speed (response time) in the shop. Don't take other people's word for it.
It is quite likely that I have missed a vital setting, but I a struggling to capture that crucial moment (even pressing the shutter early) because of the lag.
maybe I need to turn off all the fancy tricks so it can concentrate on doing the exposure and just focusing on the middle of the frame.
If you want this sort of camera then you'll love it. But check the image quality and speed (response time) in the shop. Don't take other people's word for it.
It is quite likely that I have missed a vital setting, but I a struggling to capture that crucial moment (even pressing the shutter early) because of the lag.
maybe I need to turn off all the fancy tricks so it can concentrate on doing the exposure and just focusing on the middle of the frame.
Posted 11/07/2009 - 23:30
Link
Darkmunk wrote:
the W60 lens is uncovered, but it really doesn't matter.
I suppose it's the same for the W80 then Perhaps something to do with the waterproofing?the W60 lens is uncovered, but it really doesn't matter.
I can recommend a Lenspen for removing fingerprints, and a pouch or bag should protect it from scratching.
~Pete
Posted 13/07/2009 - 19:41
Link
Hmm, I'm not in hurry anyway, so I'll check in some shop to see how it feels and if it has a cover (or rather not) when it's available.
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Michal R. Hoffmann
K20D, DA 16-45mm, A 50mm F/1:1.4, DA 55-300mm; flash Pentax AF240Z
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



10412 posts
18 years
Dordrecht,
the Netherlands
link
Looks like a fun camera, wondering how good the IQ is
I really like the wide angle lens on it!
12.1 Megapixels
12.1 Megapixels for detailed images that can be printed in large sizes.
5X Internal Optical Zoom
5X internal optical zoom in a slim 1 inch body is equivalent to 28-140mm.
Wide angle lens
Wide angle 28mm lens gives an expanded perspective to images, ideal for indoor, landscape, or group shots.
2.5 inch LCD screen
2.5 inch LCD monitor features anti-reflective coating, making it easy to view, even in bright sunlight.
Waterproof
Waterproof design withstands depths up to 16 feet (5 meters) to protect from rain and spills, as well as allowing full underwater photos and video.
Shockproof
Rugged Shockproof design protects against drops of 3.3 feet, ensuring the camera is protected from hard use and the occasional “spills” on dry land.
Coldproof
Coldproof design allows the camera to be used in sub-zero temperatures of -10° Celsius (14° Fahrenheit), ideal for cold weather activities such as skiing and snowmobiling.
HD Movie Capture
Widescreen, HD movie capture records resolutions up to 1280x720 pixels at full-speed 30 frames per second.
Face Detection
Fast Face Detection technology sees up to 32 faces in 0.03 seconds, with Smile Capture and Blink Detection, for perfect portrait shots.
Shake Reduction
Pixel Track Shake Reduction (SR) ensures sharp images in any lighting condition, without adding high ISO noise. Digital SR and Movie SR are also available.
Super Macro Mode
Close focusing, Super Macro mode brings out the details in even the smallest subjects as close as 1 cm.
K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ