New old Pentax user
Posted 27/11/2012 - 20:38
Link
Hi and welcome .
Have you looked at the Tokina SD 28-70MM F3.5 and Tokina SD 70-210mm both compact reasonably light and very good lenses , in fact i still use the 28-70 doing flora shots on digital , there very cheap to buy too
Have you looked at the Tokina SD 28-70MM F3.5 and Tokina SD 70-210mm both compact reasonably light and very good lenses , in fact i still use the 28-70 doing flora shots on digital , there very cheap to buy too
Posted 27/11/2012 - 20:50
Link
Thanks, I haven't looked at the Tokina lenses. Worth a try. Any idea what the 70-210 weighs in actual grams? (Light is such a loaded term
Posted 27/11/2012 - 20:51
Link
Hi And welcome to the forum.. Hope you enjoy your time with us.
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses
Stuart..
Stuart..
Posted 27/11/2012 - 21:49
Link
Hello, and welcome to a friendly forum. I can upstage you in the ancient Pentax stakes: I still have the Spotmatic which I bought in the USA in the mid 1960s - it is branded "Honeywell" because they had the US franchise then. I think it still works, though I haven't put film through it for 2-3 years. Really sturdy cameras that can survive a surprising amount of accidental abuse.
Enjoy your membership!
Martin
Enjoy your membership!
Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
Posted 27/11/2012 - 22:12
Link
cudbm wrote:
I have seen on the dreaded bay a 70-210 Pentax-A, which apparently weighs only around 300 gm, for a few tens of pounds. But I also read some rather disparaging reviews somewhere.
So, is that a reasonable lens for such ancient kit?:
Hi and welcome to the Forum!I have seen on the dreaded bay a 70-210 Pentax-A, which apparently weighs only around 300 gm, for a few tens of pounds. But I also read some rather disparaging reviews somewhere.
So, is that a reasonable lens for such ancient kit?:
The A 70-210 actually weights 680g.
How about a pentax 75-150? It weights 465g and is well balanced on a MX/ME. Very good lens and contemporary to those cameras.
Posted 27/11/2012 - 22:38
Link
cudbm wrote:
Thanks, I haven't looked at the Tokina lenses. Worth a try. Any idea what the 70-210 weighs in actual grams? (Light is such a loaded term
Its 405g, its a nice lens , I also have a Tamron Adaptall 70-210mm i could also recommend ,i got this a few months ago ,not used it a lot but i have had some good images from it ,its very light and could just be what your looking for Tamron Adaptall-2 70-210mm Macro f/4-5.6 (58A)
Thanks, I haven't looked at the Tokina lenses. Worth a try. Any idea what the 70-210 weighs in actual grams? (Light is such a loaded term
Posted 27/11/2012 - 22:47
Link
Welcome to the Forum, I have used the Pentax-A 70-210 f4 from when it first came out, and at the time it was rated top of the bunch in AP, even beat Olympus, Canon, Nikon etc.
I used it with my Super A and ME Super, but both had ME II winders on them which helped with the balance.
Have you thought about a leather hand strap, I have them on my istD and K10D, I find they help a lot with the 300mm and 170-500mm lenses.
You could also consider a Sigma 70-210 APO compact zoom, Ive been very pleased with mine, and I think it might be a bit lighter than the Pentax A lens.
I used it with my Super A and ME Super, but both had ME II winders on them which helped with the balance.
Have you thought about a leather hand strap, I have them on my istD and K10D, I find they help a lot with the 300mm and 170-500mm lenses.
You could also consider a Sigma 70-210 APO compact zoom, Ive been very pleased with mine, and I think it might be a bit lighter than the Pentax A lens.
Regards John/Jumbo
Posted 27/11/2012 - 22:54
Link
Aaarghhh I didn't check before posting, the lens I was thinking of was actually the Pentax-A 80-200 f/4.7-5.6 rather than the 75-210! It got a bit of a poor rating for handling, IIRC, so perhaps it's better to stay away from an auction copy. I'll keep looking for that Tokina in the local charity shops. The Pentax 75-150 is actually a bit short at the long end of the zoom, since I've already got the Pentax-M 135mm (a wonderfully light lens that you hardly know is there, but still seems to provide some reasonable results).
Thanks for all your comments. OldTaffy, you should give that Spotmatic an outing, you might rediscover the love!
Thanks for all your comments. OldTaffy, you should give that Spotmatic an outing, you might rediscover the love!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3 posts
13 years
I also have an old Tamron K-mount 85-210 fixed length zoom. I've almost never used it, as it weighs a ton... around 750gm I think. It just overbalances the Me and MX, and I have very poor right hand grip. Most other zooms of similar range seem to weigh not far off the same. I have seen on the dreaded bay a 70-210 Pentax-A, which apparently weighs only around 300 gm, for a few tens of pounds. But I also read some rather disparaging reviews somewhere.
So, is that a reasonable lens for such ancient kit?
Oh, in the digital world I'm afraid I have a Fuji X10 (sharp intake of breath all round!).