New K10D - sort of...

amoringello
Posted 20/12/2007 - 16:35 Link
Starting back a few months ago my K10D started getting errors writing to the card. Finally sent it into repairs and after two months of issues there,

I finally have it back after they replaced almost every electrical component in the poor thing.
The repaired camera is suhweet! It is like Christmas came early. (been making due with an istD that cannot fire PTTL flash at all -- yeah, if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all... )


Anyway... for the past year I've been having issues with metering, focus and flash. Today none of those issues exist!!
It is really nice to point at something and not have to adjust focus on a mythical point in space. PTTL flash, although not perfect is a lot more consistent and predictable.


I know other people on here have reported similar issues with less than sympathetic ears at times. Although I am all for blaming one's own lack of skills before blaming the hardware... I don't believe my skills have improved that dramatically in the time that the camera has been away.

So, just a note for those that read all the tips (which are honestly quite helpful), and have done well controlled tests. If you find that your camera is still dud, you may want to try a loaner for a while to compare or just send it back and have it fixed.
ChrisA
Posted 20/12/2007 - 18:34 Link
Quote:
and have done well controlled tests.
This is the key.

One of the reasons scepticism is the order of the day whenever someone pipes up worrying about whether their kit is working properly is that an extraordinary number of people a) don't read the manual, and b) take 'test' shots that prove nothing.

But of course, sometimes something goes wrong, and the problem is real.

Glad you've got a working camera now!
Clarky
Posted 21/12/2007 - 01:23 Link
So did they give you an explanation what may have caused the problem and what they found was faulty. :
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
amoringello
Posted 21/12/2007 - 02:16 Link
No explanation... had to have it shipped to the main repair facility 1500+ miles away. So I wasn't really able to talk to anyone directly about the issues.

Anyway, the invoice says they "replaced the printed circuit board and image sensor, adjusted and calibrated all circuits. Replaced memory card contact pins and adjoining circuit board".
The body/case is definitely mine, but I don't know what internals are left untouched.

I'm just glad it was still under warranty.

Apart from a few spots of dust that I cannot blow off, the camera works better than ever. Guess I'll have to get some eclipse2 or maybe even try the Pentax cleaning kit.
Just sort of peeved that sticky dust is on my brand new sensor, but I'm not sending it away for eight weeks for dust!!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo