New K100D Super

stevejcoe
Posted 28/06/2007 - 13:32 Link
K10 Super new features, probably not too much for current K10 owners to get excited about, development funds should go to the brand new model. My guess is that there will be a few tweaks with firmware, maybe better flash support and of course the auto pict modes.

If I am right the pricing will be about the same as the K10, which will be discounted and dissappear pretty quickly. The K10 Super will be the mid market segment offering, aimed at the so called advanced amatuers, with all the new high end stuff coming with the launch of the new model.

ME Super - K100 Super
Super A - K10 Super
LX - K1??
Tyr
Posted 28/06/2007 - 13:44 Link
Quote:
K10 Super new features, probably not too much for current K10 owners to get excited about, development funds should go to the brand new model. My guess is that there will be a few tweaks with firmware, maybe better flash support and of course the auto pict modes.

If I am right the pricing will be about the same as the K10, which will be discounted and dissappear pretty quickly. The K10 Super will be the mid market segment offering, aimed at the so called advanced amatuers, with all the new high end stuff coming with the launch of the new model.

ME Super - K100 Super
Super A - K10 Super
LX - K1??
Reminds me that my Super A still needs repairing...


I really can't think of anything they could add to the K10D. In fact, could just be a waste of time to make a K10D Super.

Only think I can think of it a marketing gimmick of higher density sensor and that wouldn't necessarily be an improvement.

I just want the new lenses to be available: 16-50, 55 and 60-250 Star lenses and I'd be set.
golfdiesel
Posted 28/06/2007 - 13:49 Link
I find that it is a perfectly normal upgrade to the K100.

I didn't see this kind of a discussion when the DS2 came out. That hasn't been a big improvement over the DS as well (bigger screen, scene modes addes, etc.).

You have to see it in the same light as a facelift for a car. The changes are not big but it creates publicity which can boost your sales a little.
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
Don
Posted 28/06/2007 - 14:00 Link
the k10 "S" will have a crapload of pic modes to satisfy non por ethusiests, or the smart pic mode and some more options in pulldown menus.

there is a new pro toy comming......

that will give pentax one body in every range for each segment of the market!

we're getting our lx digital soon, you'll see.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
stevejcoe
Posted 28/06/2007 - 14:11 Link
K10 Super - new features! Look at the reviews of the K10D in the photo mags for the clues, and look at it from the viewpoint of someone upgrading from a K100 Super.
Then if you are Pentax, consider what can be done without major redesign
and cost.
Processors and memory are cheaper than when the K10 was originally designed, so faster processing and a larger memory buffer are easy upgrades for no real cost. The K10 is as much computer as camera, so it is in that area that the upgrades are likely.
An improved kit lens, new flash, could be used as a sweeteners.

If you want to think more holistically Pentax could sign a bulk licensing deal with Adobe and offer Adobe software with their range of cameras.

K100 Super - Elements
K10 Super - Lightroom
K1 - CS3

Not likely though, my impression of Adobe is that they would rather sell a few copies at a high price, than open up the market.
Tyr
Posted 28/06/2007 - 14:42 Link
Quote:
K10 Super - new features! Look at the reviews of the K10D in the photo mags for the clues, and look at it from the viewpoint of someone upgrading from a K100 Super.
Then if you are Pentax, consider what can be done without major redesign
and cost.
Processors and memory are cheaper than when the K10 was originally designed, so faster processing and a larger memory buffer are easy upgrades for no real cost. The K10 is as much computer as camera, so it is in that area that the upgrades are likely.
An improved kit lens, new flash, could be used as a sweeteners.

If you want to think more holistically Pentax could sign a bulk licensing deal with Adobe and offer Adobe software with their range of cameras.

K100 Super - Elements
K10 Super - Lightroom
K1 - CS3

Not likely though, my impression of Adobe is that they would rather sell a few copies at a high price, than open up the market.
So you are saying (by Adobe's pricing standards)

K100D Super £400

K10D Super £800

K1 £4000 you might as well get the 645D



Meanwhile in the USA

K100D Super $300

K10D Super $600

K1 $2000

Sad but true

I wouldn't like a K10 with Scene modes, just more stuff to make the dial look very crowded (it already is). Better buffer, 3fps continuous JPEG is damn good and 9 PEFs is too, this could be boosted to 12-18 but that is something I'd never use.

I can see something like the 17-70 being a better kit lens choice or even a DA* (in a higher priced high end kit). A lens would not justify a name change. I can't see the K10D being updated within the next 3-5 months, but you never know.
Don
Posted 28/06/2007 - 15:01 Link
you don't make the dial more crowded.
you move some of the functions to the menu, and take the lighted dial off the mz7.

remember the goal isn't to sell another k10 to existing k10 owners.
the goal is to to be #1 in the consumer category.
k100 will easily hold it's own in the novice category.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
johnny_rino
Posted 28/06/2007 - 15:01 Link
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0706/07062801pentaxk100dsuper.asp

First pic I've seen of it and the styling is very K10D.
K-5, 2 K10D's, 16-45mm SMC DA,35mm DA Macro Limited, SMC 18-55mm WR, Sigma 135-400mm, 43mm SMC FA f1.9 Limited, 15mm SMC Limited, AF540FGZ, D-BG2
Tyr
Posted 28/06/2007 - 15:21 Link
Quote:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0706/07062801pentaxk100dsuper.asp

First pic I've seen of it and the styling is very K10D.
It looks the same as the K100D, in fact it is the same identical chassis so the K10D looks like it not the other way round as the K100D body was around first.


Quote:


Yes, this is the end of the K110D.
K100D Super takes the role as the first model in the serie, and thus leaving room between the K100D Super and the K10D (which will be updated soon). This new model, which is a K100D replacement (K50D?) will have 10Mp. I expect it to be released this autumn, and it will be a mix between the K10D and K100D, but without the weathersealing of the K10D.

I also expect a new model above the K10D or updated K10D Super. Basically a K10D with higher performance, more responsive, perhaps a new 12Mp APS-C sensor (which was originally planned for the K10D but the sensor wasn't ready at that time). Pentax are also working on an update to their autofocus and metering system. I expect it to be released in a new high-end DSLR spring 2008, but it could make it's debut in the new model above the K10D.

So, I believe the "roadmap" is as follows...

K1D - PMA show 2008 announcement, on the market September 2008. 12 - 16Mp APS-C sensor (no, it is not a Sony!). 4fps. 1/8000 shutter, 1/250 flash sync, new autofocus and metering system. Similar price as Nikon D200.

K5D - Fall 2007 release (PMA Paris, Sepember?). New AF and metering, or similar system as the K10D? Probably same sensor as K1D. Price as EOS 30D.
K10D Super - Fall 2007 release. Improved performance, added features, basically the same body. Price unchanged or slightly lowered.
K50D - Fall 2007 release. 10Mp in a body similar to K100D, larger buffer and improved performance, but still pentamirror viewfinder.
K100D Super - Fall 2007 release (announced now).

K100D Super and K10D super will end their production run in spring 2008, and the K5D and K50D will then get lower prices so they effectively replaces the K10D and K100D. A new low-end model (K200D?) and low-end semi-pro (K20D?) will hit the market in fall 2008.
So, pentax will release two-three new DSLR's each fall - in time for christmas shopping.

Take care
R
Interesting, I'd love to see better metering on my K10D as it is thrown off easily by a number of things.

Of course I can use my 40 year old Seikonic Selenium light meter which still works brilliantly but is limited to a 1/2000 shutter speed (only one stop off the K10D's maximum so that is not bad).
Don
Posted 28/06/2007 - 16:07 Link
i hope pentax starts making tranlucent lens caps that replace the need for an expo disc
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
George Lazarette
Posted 28/06/2007 - 17:52 Link
Quote:

If you want to think more holistically Pentax could sign a bulk licensing deal with Adobe and offer Adobe software with their range of cameras.
Of course! The killer feature - PDFs instead of PEFs.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Ammonyte
Posted 29/06/2007 - 11:31 Link
LOL @ George.
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
ZaphodB
Posted 29/06/2007 - 16:34 Link
Quote:
Every manufacturer need to update its existing range periodically, so I can't see what the fuss is about. Had this been a new camera, they'd have called it by a new name.

K100D Super tells me it's essentially a K100D body with some enhancements. Actually, it's got several worthwhile enhancements, so I say "Well done, Pentax".
I say "well done" in response to either achievement or effort. Both of which are absolutely minimal here.

They have added SDM. I don't count a dust reduction system of questionable effectiveness as a real addition, as far as I'm concerned it's just the SDM. Because low-range dSLRs have such low resale or trade value, I can't see too many people trading in their K100D or other recent *Ist-based model just to get SDM on effectively the same camera. So Pentax are almost certainly targeting it at people looking for their first dSLR. People who, and yes I'm being a snob and generalising, are mostly impressed by specs and pixel counts and a good number of whom have probably bought into the myth that Canon and Nikon are inherently better.

As I see it, the K100D Super will only appeal to those people if they were already considering a Pentax and it was only the autofocus which put them off... how are you going to advertise it to everyone else, say "The new Pentax K100D Super supports super-sonic lens motors"? They're going to say "Hang on, didn't Canon and Nikon already have that in most of their cameras?"

So basically my problem with the K100D Super is because firstly it doesn't do much for me as someone already invested in the system... and also because I don't expect it to be all that effective for what I assume are the intended goals of drawing in new customers or creating publicity and showing that Pentax is "still in the game" as others put it.


Quote:
I didn't see this kind of a discussion when the DS2 came out.
That's because by then we hadn't had the exact same camera 'refreshed' quite so many times.
iceblinker
Posted 29/06/2007 - 19:06 Link
Many users seem to think the K10D's dust reduction is a worthwhile addition, so it should be worthwhile to have on the lower models too, even if it's not completely effective.

I say well done to Pentax for making any improvements, no matter how small. Just a shame they haven't improved the viewfinder, too.

DR will soon become the norm for all dSLRs, so Pentax have to compete with other brands with all their models.

The better the spec is, the more people will be attracted to Pentax, and the more they will enjoy the camera. You don't have to upgrade to it.
~Pete
kcmadr
Posted 29/06/2007 - 19:17 Link
Quote:
... Just a shame they haven't improved the viewfinder, too.
I WANT THE VIEWFINDER FROM THE ME SUPER!!!

WAAAAHHHHH


I REALLY would love that.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo