My Nikon D200
Posted 30/06/2007 - 13:08
Link
Quote:
I have recently purchased a Nikon D200 which was supposed to replace my Pentax IstDs; But to my surprise I don't want to give up my Pentax. I have been bringing both cameras with me everywhere.
The Nikon is great but there is so much I love about the IstDs, I haven't found much on the D200 that is useful which the Pentax doesn't have.
Nikons metering and focus are far better, and the 5 frames per second is great but Pentax ease of use and straight forward simple design really shine.
I am going to keep the IstDs and continue to grow in the Pentax system but I wish I bought the K10D now.
So I am left with a Nikon D200 I have put a lot of money into, so I guess I will just have to run two systems.
Madness. Sell the Nikon immediately. It can only go down in value as time goes on. If you keep it you will be tempted to buy more lenses for it and make a bad situation worse.I have recently purchased a Nikon D200 which was supposed to replace my Pentax IstDs; But to my surprise I don't want to give up my Pentax. I have been bringing both cameras with me everywhere.
The Nikon is great but there is so much I love about the IstDs, I haven't found much on the D200 that is useful which the Pentax doesn't have.
Nikons metering and focus are far better, and the 5 frames per second is great but Pentax ease of use and straight forward simple design really shine.
I am going to keep the IstDs and continue to grow in the Pentax system but I wish I bought the K10D now.
So I am left with a Nikon D200 I have put a lot of money into, so I guess I will just have to run two systems.
What amazes me is why a Pentax owner should buy a Nikon D200 instead of a K10D. Apart from a slightly faster frame rate it has nothing the K10D doesn't have, and it lacks a great deal that the K10D DOES have; on top of which it's less well-made and more expensive.
Go and stand in the corner and repent.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 30/06/2007 - 13:24
Link
If you have only brought it within a month tell the shop it has what you think is a fault and you have decided to go for a pentax model.
They should change the camera for you.
Where did you buy it from
Pete
They should change the camera for you.
Where did you buy it from
Pete
Wedding & Portrait photographer
Posted 30/06/2007 - 13:29
Link
All i can say is i have had a Nikon DSLR and it did go wroung that is when the fun starts that is why i went for the bottom of the range K110d and i love it.
There should be a law to stop Pentax user doing this for there on good lol
There should be a law to stop Pentax user doing this for there on good lol
Posted 30/06/2007 - 15:13
Link
Im sorry guys, I broke the rules. It was stupid I know. Its just that the availability on Pentax lenses here in Australia is next to nothing. I wanted the Nikon for some long lenses.
It certainly is not a bad camera, I am still deciding what to do.
It certainly is not a bad camera, I am still deciding what to do.
Posted 30/06/2007 - 15:35
Link
running two systems is way expensive.
when I met Gerri, we both were shooting film.
I had pentax system, Gerri had canon.
We used the digital switch as an opportunity to drop one system.
I had more/better glass & flash than Gerri, so we sold off the canon gear.
we got a g5 digital, and shot film and digital, then when we needed a wider zoom range we got a canon pro one. (at the time buying compact digitals made more sense than buying a dslr and lenses). We avoided getting into a new system, and waited till the second generation of pentaxes before buying the ds2.
Bottom line? I would've bought a zlr (canon Is5 for example) with long reach, costing about the same as a lens) before starting a second system.
Imagine being out in the feild, and your nikon batery is dead, and your pentax body doesn't have a telephoto lens. Or your pentax body has a ringflash, but your nikon has a better macro lens....
I had a bugger of a time finding a tripod head for my manfrotto to make sure my still and video cameras, had interchangable tripod quickmount plates.....(why carry different tripods?)
never mind having to carry two of everything for my slrs....
when I met Gerri, we both were shooting film.
I had pentax system, Gerri had canon.
We used the digital switch as an opportunity to drop one system.
I had more/better glass & flash than Gerri, so we sold off the canon gear.
we got a g5 digital, and shot film and digital, then when we needed a wider zoom range we got a canon pro one. (at the time buying compact digitals made more sense than buying a dslr and lenses). We avoided getting into a new system, and waited till the second generation of pentaxes before buying the ds2.
Bottom line? I would've bought a zlr (canon Is5 for example) with long reach, costing about the same as a lens) before starting a second system.
Imagine being out in the feild, and your nikon batery is dead, and your pentax body doesn't have a telephoto lens. Or your pentax body has a ringflash, but your nikon has a better macro lens....
I had a bugger of a time finding a tripod head for my manfrotto to make sure my still and video cameras, had interchangable tripod quickmount plates.....(why carry different tripods?)
never mind having to carry two of everything for my slrs....
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 30/06/2007 - 16:59
Link
Mixing systems is crazy, it causes confusion, duplication of kit, won't work....
Really, cut your losses and sell one or the other, and it will do you an enormous favour if you believe the comments that have been made already!
Really, cut your losses and sell one or the other, and it will do you an enormous favour if you believe the comments that have been made already!
Best regards, John
Posted 01/07/2007 - 02:29
Link
Well this is how I think I will do it.
Pentax IstDs, 21 3.2 L, 35 macro 2.8 L, 40 2.8 L, 70 2.4 L, 16-45 4. If the 35 and 55 1.4 on Pentax roadmap come out I will get them to.
Nikon D200, 10.5 2.8 Fish, 12-24 4, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 105 macro 2.8, 300 4, 1.7 TC.
The Pentax will be a very small easily transportable kit and the Nikon kit will be larger but higher performance. The D200 really does excel at metering and auto focus, I have never seen a Pentax come remotely close. I have used the K10D a bit but perhaps not enough to compare properly, but it did not expose accurately and focus quickly like the Nikons can.
Pentax IstDs, 21 3.2 L, 35 macro 2.8 L, 40 2.8 L, 70 2.4 L, 16-45 4. If the 35 and 55 1.4 on Pentax roadmap come out I will get them to.
Nikon D200, 10.5 2.8 Fish, 12-24 4, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 105 macro 2.8, 300 4, 1.7 TC.
The Pentax will be a very small easily transportable kit and the Nikon kit will be larger but higher performance. The D200 really does excel at metering and auto focus, I have never seen a Pentax come remotely close. I have used the K10D a bit but perhaps not enough to compare properly, but it did not expose accurately and focus quickly like the Nikons can.
Posted 01/07/2007 - 02:34
Link
George has said the Pentax has a better build quality, I don't agree at all. The D200 body has no flex in it what so ever, very strong metal. The rubber and plastic parts they have used are all top notch as well. The K10D is certainly a well built camera but not in the league of the D200.
Posted 01/07/2007 - 05:51
Link
Quote:
Well this is how I think I will do it.
Pentax IstDs, 21 3.2 L, 35 macro 2.8 L, 40 2.8 L, 70 2.4 L, 16-45 4. If the 35 and 55 1.4 on Pentax roadmap come out I will get them to.
Nikon D200, 10.5 2.8 Fish, 12-24 4, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 105 macro 2.8, 300 4, 1.7 TC.
The Pentax will be a very small easily transportable kit and the Nikon kit will be larger but higher performance. The D200 really does excel at metering and auto focus, I have never seen a Pentax come remotely close. I have used the K10D a bit but perhaps not enough to compare properly, but it did not expose accurately and focus quickly like the Nikons can.
Great lineup there Pahrens. I went to http://www.acecameras.co.uk/ and priced out just your Nikon kit and it added up to 5780 £. If I was you - and had all your money - why stop there? I would go for the Canon 5D too and fill in some of those gaps with a half dozen IS lenses (why not??). Well this is how I think I will do it.
Pentax IstDs, 21 3.2 L, 35 macro 2.8 L, 40 2.8 L, 70 2.4 L, 16-45 4. If the 35 and 55 1.4 on Pentax roadmap come out I will get them to.
Nikon D200, 10.5 2.8 Fish, 12-24 4, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 105 macro 2.8, 300 4, 1.7 TC.
The Pentax will be a very small easily transportable kit and the Nikon kit will be larger but higher performance. The D200 really does excel at metering and auto focus, I have never seen a Pentax come remotely close. I have used the K10D a bit but perhaps not enough to compare properly, but it did not expose accurately and focus quickly like the Nikons can.
Of course if I was you, who the hell would be me (with my money)?
BTW Let me know when you plan on going out to take pictures, I want to see how you are going to carry all this stuff.
Sorry, just couldn't stop myself.
Drew
Posted 01/07/2007 - 07:29
Link
I never said I would carry it all at once. I guess another option is to forget about the limited lenses, sell the Pentax, get a Nikon D40 and Nikkor prime lenses loosing auto focus on the D40. It would be a great small kit but of course I couldn't post here anymore.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


41 posts
20 years
Australia
The Nikon is great but there is so much I love about the IstDs, I haven't found much on the D200 that is useful which the Pentax doesn't have.
Nikons metering and focus are far better, and the 5 frames per second is great but Pentax ease of use and straight forward simple design really shine.
I am going to keep the IstDs and continue to grow in the Pentax system but I wish I bought the K10D now.
So I am left with a Nikon D200 I have put a lot of money into, so I guess I will just have to run two systems.