New forum Style
Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:30
Link
ChrisA wrote:
Aha so am I now! It wasn't doing that earlier. Hooray. I really like looking at the photos this way. A definite plus point for the new forum
Gwyn wrote:
It would be nicer perhaps if when you click on the image in the forum it expanded up to it's original size. Now you can click on the image and see it ad free but still only at 550pixels.
In Firefox 2, when I click on an image, it opens in a separate tab on its own, at a larger size - presumably the size of the original, judging by a couple of my own.It would be nicer perhaps if when you click on the image in the forum it expanded up to it's original size. Now you can click on the image and see it ad free but still only at 550pixels.
Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:35
Link
davidburleson wrote:
Thanks for the feedback so far everyone.
Obviously, if you see any problems, error, bugs, something missing or have any general questions about how something works, feel free to submit a report and we will respond as quick as possible.
You can find the link to submit a report at the bottom of every page on the site.
The people who put this mess together can't even spell the company's name:Thanks for the feedback so far everyone.
Obviously, if you see any problems, error, bugs, something missing or have any general questions about how something works, feel free to submit a report and we will respond as quick as possible.
You can find the link to submit a report at the bottom of every page on the site.
"Magezine Publishing Ltd". (Bottom right on every page).
Says it all, really.
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:41
Link
Quote:
"Magezine Publishing Ltd". (Bottom right on every page).
if I explain, maybe you'd understand - mag - ezine as in electronic zine. "Magezine Publishing Ltd". (Bottom right on every page).
Quote:
Hooray. I really like looking at the photos this way. A definite plus point for the new forum
You can also look at every picture uploaded by one member rather than trying to go through forum posts in a crappy way trying to find them. Only having a method of posting pics in forums is lazy way for the forum developer to have a gallery.Hooray. I really like looking at the photos this way. A definite plus point for the new forum
Can I just ask that those complaining let the dust settle before they get too upset? We've had the same experience on another site we rebuilt...and after a few weeks every single person who'd complained either got what they'd asked for or realised that they were wrong to complain and that we'd actually seen a better way forward and they now love it...it's often the comfy carpet slipper scenario.
Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:42
Link
George Lazarette wrote:
The people who put this mess together can't even spell the company's name:
"Magezine Publishing Ltd". (Bottom right on every page).
Sadly, this isn't a typo.The people who put this mess together can't even spell the company's name:
"Magezine Publishing Ltd". (Bottom right on every page).
http://www.magezinepublishing.com/
(sic)
I think it's a 'clever' play on the word "ezine" - "electronic magazine".
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:42
Link
Quote:
"Magezine Publishing Ltd". (Bottom right on every page).
Says it all, really.
Fortunately we do know our company name!
"Magezine Publishing Ltd". (Bottom right on every page).
Says it all, really.
Join Pentax User Plus Today: http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/subscribe
Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:42
Link
No, that's spelled perfectly. That's the name of the company.
Dan
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:43
Link
Although the non-forum part of the site certainly needed an update, the forum itself used one of the best examples of message board software. There was absolutely no need to change it, and it is unfortunate that this "for profit" organisation has wasted money making a sow's ear out of a silk purse.
G
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:44
Link
Peter Bargh wrote:
and after a few weeks every single person who'd complained either got what they'd asked for or realised that they were wrong to complain and that we'd actually seen a better way forward and they now love it...it's often the comfy carpet slipper scenario.
And how would you have known to fix the things that were wrong, if people hadn't complained?and after a few weeks every single person who'd complained either got what they'd asked for or realised that they were wrong to complain and that we'd actually seen a better way forward and they now love it...it's often the comfy carpet slipper scenario.
You just have to suck it up if you want the right result.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:44
Link
ChrisA wrote:
http://www.magezinepublishing.com/
(sic)
I think it's a 'clever' play on the word "ezine" - "electronic magazine".
Well, at least one thing is clever.George Lazarette wrote:
The people who put this mess together can't even spell the company's name:
"Magezine Publishing Ltd". (Bottom right on every page).
Sadly, this isn't a typo.The people who put this mess together can't even spell the company's name:
"Magezine Publishing Ltd". (Bottom right on every page).
http://www.magezinepublishing.com/
(sic)
I think it's a 'clever' play on the word "ezine" - "electronic magazine".
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:44
Link
[quote:3496ace15f="Daniel Bridge"]
I have to say I felt there was a dealine the guys were working to. I also have to say that this forum is essentially a business. It's run by Magezine Publishing Ltd, it's not a charitable home for Pentaxians, so it's only fair and reasonable for them to try to cover the costs of, and make money from, the business.
I do get the fact that it is a business, I just don't get how making things a lot harder to use would helps that business. More visitors = more advertising revenue. Alienating people makes them leave. I agree, seems rushed to a deadline.
It's also obvious to me the the 'business owners' are not avid 'Pentax Users' just accountants. There's a difference between better user experience and totally screw up the user experience. The better side of me wants to see businesses have ethics and GENUINELY think of their customers, not just the bottom line. Sadly this is true in every walk of life these days.
I must have missed a trick here, still can't work out the how and why there are 2 totally different contrasting galleries. Now the forum competition is being removed from the forum and placed into a gallery I knew nothing about!
I have to say I felt there was a dealine the guys were working to. I also have to say that this forum is essentially a business. It's run by Magezine Publishing Ltd, it's not a charitable home for Pentaxians, so it's only fair and reasonable for them to try to cover the costs of, and make money from, the business.
I do get the fact that it is a business, I just don't get how making things a lot harder to use would helps that business. More visitors = more advertising revenue. Alienating people makes them leave. I agree, seems rushed to a deadline.
It's also obvious to me the the 'business owners' are not avid 'Pentax Users' just accountants. There's a difference between better user experience and totally screw up the user experience. The better side of me wants to see businesses have ethics and GENUINELY think of their customers, not just the bottom line. Sadly this is true in every walk of life these days.
Quote:
No, you can insert images in posts just as before. It's only uploading photos to the gallery that are limited
No, you can insert images in posts just as before. It's only uploading photos to the gallery that are limited
I must have missed a trick here, still can't work out the how and why there are 2 totally different contrasting galleries. Now the forum competition is being removed from the forum and placed into a gallery I knew nothing about!
Quote:
I'm going to back off now and read some more posts...
I would too, but seriously I'm justing finding it such a pain in the neck to find them it's incredible.
I'm going to back off now and read some more posts...
Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:46
Link
Why did the powers-that-be not have the courtesy to warn people that it was coming? And then explain some of the new improved features (if such there be).
G
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:50
Link
PentaxDan wrote:
Hey, just wanted to say that everyone needs to give the new site a good go and not make any quick judgements.
"Giving the site a good go" will not change views on the new design, in the same way that keeping on using a poor tool doesn't make the tool, or the experience, any better.Hey, just wanted to say that everyone needs to give the new site a good go and not make any quick judgements.
This new layout is just so dire. Probably my last visit.
Ray.
Z1, K10D, D-BG2 Grip, DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL, DA 1:3.5-6.3 18-250mm ED AL(IF), AF540FGZ Flash, FA 1:1.7 50mm, DA 1:2.4 70mm Limited, Wireless Remote (Did I offend you? Click here).
Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:50
Link
By the way, I raised a report, like they asked. I think the response deserves to be in the public domain, since I don't want to end up having the same discussion twice:
[quote="I"]Fixing the forum content width and enforcing a 550px inline image size is a really bad decision, I believe.
The content should resize with the browser, for a start, and if there has to be an image size limit, it should be 800px at least - preferably 1000px.
People have mostly learned not to post enormous images, so it's not an issue.[/quote]The response:
[quote="They"]Have you considered those on resolution of 1024x768? Believe it or not, we receive quite alot of traffic to the site on this resolution.[/quote]To which I replied:
[quote="I"]And have they been complaining about not being able to see the images? I'd have expected to see this in the forum itself if they had been.
As it is, we've had endless discussion about this very subject on the forum itself over the last year and a half.
This is why the weekly competitions are subject to a max size of 800px on any dimension - and it seems to suit pretty much everyone, or at least be the best compromise.
Even outside the comps, mostly people now post 800px as a max.
So why you need to summarily change it - and in a way that completely ruins a lot of the images when they're resized, I'm at a loss to understand.[/quote]
[quote="I"]Fixing the forum content width and enforcing a 550px inline image size is a really bad decision, I believe.
The content should resize with the browser, for a start, and if there has to be an image size limit, it should be 800px at least - preferably 1000px.
People have mostly learned not to post enormous images, so it's not an issue.[/quote]The response:
[quote="They"]Have you considered those on resolution of 1024x768? Believe it or not, we receive quite alot of traffic to the site on this resolution.[/quote]To which I replied:
[quote="I"]And have they been complaining about not being able to see the images? I'd have expected to see this in the forum itself if they had been.
As it is, we've had endless discussion about this very subject on the forum itself over the last year and a half.
This is why the weekly competitions are subject to a max size of 800px on any dimension - and it seems to suit pretty much everyone, or at least be the best compromise.
Even outside the comps, mostly people now post 800px as a max.
So why you need to summarily change it - and in a way that completely ruins a lot of the images when they're resized, I'm at a loss to understand.[/quote]
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 16/07/2008 - 16:50
Link
Quote:
unfortunate that this "for profit" organisation has wasted money making a sow's ear out of a silk purse
Glad you like it so much unfortunate that this "for profit" organisation has wasted money making a sow's ear out of a silk purse
We've been meaning to convert the site from the unsafe Phb bb forum into a custom built and totally spam proof system for a long time, but because this is not about profit we've had to balance it with the elements of the business that are profit based.
The usual thing is if you make the slightest change you will upset people. It happens all the time, but if you give it time to become familiar and suggest things that you found useful with the old system, rather than be insulting, we will accomodate everything we can. So we have a safe, and much more integrated system than a quickly pushed together forum that didn't have a good gallery system or user profile option. We're just bringing the site up to today's standards.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3062 posts
18 years
Aylesbury,
Bucks.
Tip.
Post new thread in Announcements.
Job done.
Website・Blog・Gear・Twitter・Facebook