New camera body to replace K100D

johna

Link Posted 08/02/2016 - 10:27
Hi

I have a K100d which is giving me gret trouble. It is very temperemental when turning on. It was left a for a while with old batteries in and I think this has damged it. Anyway I am thinking I would like to buy a new pentax body that will accomadte both the lenses I currenlty have that fits K100D. Any suggestions please, or do i really need to buy another K100D body. it would be nice to have something a bit lighter if poss, without spending a fortune.
There are three kinds of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

johnriley

Link Posted 08/02/2016 - 10:41
If you can find a nice second hand K-5 it will do very well at a reasonable low price. It may not be lighter, but it will be faster and more durable.
Best regards, John

BruceStrachan

Link Posted 08/02/2016 - 11:00
K50 is lighter and a great improvement.
KS2 would be even better but more expensive.
Cheers,

Bruce

MrB

Link Posted 08/02/2016 - 11:39
If you mean to buy brand new, the options similar in weight to the k100d are the K-50 and K-S1. If you just mean new to you, a good used K-R at about 100 might be OK for you.

Cheers.
Philip

johna

Link Posted 08/02/2016 - 12:43
Thanks for the advice guys. I would be happy to buy a good second hand body, assuming I could find one.
There are three kinds of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

walt

Link Posted 08/02/2016 - 14:42
Hi, I know you mentioned you wanted a new camera, but fyi my K100D developed problems with nimh AA's and got very temperamental even with the sanyo eneloops. My solution was to use Lithium AA non rechargeable batteries. They solved the issue and lasted for ages.
Walt
My newer photos google photos
My older Flickr photos Flickr
Even older ones Picasa

JAK

Link Posted 08/02/2016 - 15:22
walt wrote:
Hi, I know you mentioned you wanted a new camera, but fyi my K100D developed problems with nimh AA's and got very temperamental even with the sanyo eneloops. My solution was to use Lithium AA non rechargeable batteries. They solved the issue and lasted for ages.

Yes, try that solution (Lithium batteries) if you really like the K100D, it should solve the battery problem. Should then work with good NIMH's afterwards too. But if you want a new camera, get it anyway, though if you wish to keep the K100D as a spare or sell it on it's good to know it does work as it should.
There are a couple of YouTube videos about this issue (albeit on a K-x) Part 1 here and Part 2 here
John K

johna

Link Posted 08/02/2016 - 19:04
Hi

have only ever used Duracel batteries or similar. I left a set in or almost a year and win I come to use it I noticed that the top and bottom connectors were corroded and had a bluish deposit on them. I cleaned with vinegar and it seemed to do the job, when I turned it on it did turn on. However, next time it did not. So now I have to turn t on and off several times to get it to stay on, sometimes it is OK for 1 or 2 shots and then have to repeat the progress, sometimes it does not come on at all. I am assuming the connections are buggered and it would probably be cheaper to get a new body.

richandfleur

Link Posted 08/02/2016 - 19:11
Long term, for your info, I jumped from a K-100d to a K-30 and found the process relatively seamless and the results excellent.
Pentax offer the K-30 / K-50 / K-S2 line for just this sort of progression, and their pricing is competitive.

The other line they do is the K-7 / K-5 / K-3 range, which is more 'pro' in nature, with battery grips available and lots of external switches for focus mode and metering modes etc. These tend to cost more.

Both ranges are very good
Last Edited by richandfleur on 08/02/2016 - 19:11
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.