Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

New 55-300 - No aperture lever!

Unlocker
Posted 13/06/2016 - 10:57 Link
For those wondering why the new 55-300 PLM is incompatible with all but the latest models, here's why - it has no aperture lever!

Comment Image

Whilst this might be annoying for a lot of pentaxians the good side of this is possible future 3rd party lens compatibility.

Why? It has been said on record by Sigma that one of the main reasons they don't do many lenses in Pentax mount is because of the mechanical aperture lever and the costs involved in making a different design for just a few lenses. The main competition both have electronic aperture designs so this should make it a LOT easier to 'just put a K-mount on it instead'.

The main downside for me now is that apparently the new focus motor is the best one so far but it didn't make it to the best new full frame lenses for the K-1 launch, this really needs to be in the pro spec lenses first, not the consumer ones.

Still, the future looks bright though as there is definitely investment going on! What do you think? This might put my K-1 purchase on the back burner til I can see the bigger picture.
Unlocker
Posted 13/06/2016 - 11:03 Link
Here's a comparison photo with the WR version

Comment Image

Lovely google translate here:-

https://translate.google.co.jp/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ya...
fatspider
Posted 13/06/2016 - 12:51 Link
It mentions Firmware updates so I would assume compatability will depend on which contacts are used to operate the aperture and also how far back Pentax are prepared (or can be bothered) to go in the model range.

I would hope this is something that's been in development for several years and older bodies have been designed with this in mind.
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
K10D
Posted 13/06/2016 - 18:36 Link
Sign of the times.....
Inspiration is rarer than a plate glass camera.....
davidwozhere
Posted 13/06/2016 - 19:02 Link
Not that I could even consider buying such an expensive object, but is this what the two brass contacts are for, just inside the mirror box on my K5?
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
D0n
Posted 13/06/2016 - 19:44 Link
remember all the SDM issues pentax had? releasing this to the mid tier products first actually makes sense... once the trust is there demand will rise then (pure speculation coming up) if I were pentax, I'd release WR, HD, PLM (throw the rest of the alphabet here) versions of it's famous LTD PRIMES in full frame...

people would line up and or kill for the
WR HD PLM ABC DEF GHI JKLMNO ? QRS TUV WXY Z 31 MM LTD PRIME.

(where's the P? I think it's running down my leg).
Edited by D0n: 13/06/2016 - 19:47
PeterKR
Posted 13/06/2016 - 22:33 Link
davidwozhere wrote:
Not that I could even consider buying such an expensive object, but is this what the two brass contacts are for, just inside the mirror box on my K5?

But even my K-r has those 2 little contacts ?

I also note that the DA 18-135 (as shown fitted on the K70 in the first shots) has those 2 contacts in the same place as this new lens.

Can anyone enlighten us ?

Peter
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 13/06/2016 - 22:51 Link
I worry about the compatibility of my lenses (especially my lovely DA limiteds) when the K-mount no longer supports either in-body AF motors or mechanical aperture levers
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
johnriley
Posted 13/06/2016 - 23:02 Link
There's no marque with better backwards compatibility than Pentax, so I think the more expensive bodies will continue to support what you need for some time yet.

The past track record is very good, with few exceptions.
Best regards, John
fatspider
Posted 14/06/2016 - 00:03 Link
PeterKR wrote:
davidwozhere wrote:

But even my K-r has those 2 little contacts ?

I also note that the DA 18-135 (as shown fitted on the K70 in the first shots) has those 2 contacts in the same place as this new lens.

Can anyone enlighten us ?

Peter

Those two contacts first appeared on top range film bodies and were used to power "power zoom" lenses, they were later used in DSLRs to power the motors in SDM lenses, in top of the range DSLRs they would also still operate some of the functions of the old Power Zoom Lenses.

Entry level models such as the k50 which still had contacts for SDM but wouldn't operate power zooms (presumably something to do with the circuitry or lack of power, no one really knows)
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
RobL
Posted 14/06/2016 - 20:33 Link
A couple of years ago a Sigma executive was asked why so few Sigma lenses were available with K-mount : http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/04/02/sigma-qa-part-i-ceo-kazuto-yamak...
To summarise, a mount with a mechanically operated aperture needs a separate production run due to the special construction of the lens as opposed to an electronic operation which can be incorporated when the mounts are fitted. Unless sufficient numbers are required it is difficult to justify switching production. That being the case, I wonder whether more Sigma lenses will become available with the K4 mount?
Unlocker
Posted 16/06/2016 - 11:21 Link
RobL wrote:
A couple of years ago a Sigma executive was asked why so few Sigma lenses were available with K-mount : http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/04/02/sigma-qa-part-i-ceo-kazuto-yamak...
To summarise, a mount with a mechanically operated aperture needs a separate production run due to the special construction of the lens as opposed to an electronic operation which can be incorporated when the mounts are fitted. Unless sufficient numbers are required it is difficult to justify switching production. That being the case, I wonder whether more Sigma lenses will become available with the K4 mount?

This is exactly my point! Hopefully we will get more options going forward and if we are lucky they might let us use their mount swapping service on those lenses that support it! The 120-300 f2.8 on a K-1 sounds good to me!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.