Need a Link
Posted 04/10/2005 - 15:52
Link
Posted 04/10/2005 - 16:18
Link
All Pentax 35mm cameras since 1975 and the DSLRs use the K bayonet mount, and all bayonet lenses ("K", M, A, F, FA, D FA, FAJ, DA) for 35mm or DSLR will fit (but not necessarily work on) any camera body.
"K", M and A lenses are manual focus.
Unlike other lenses, "K" lenses are styled simply SMC Pentax. There is no suffix after the word Pentax.
Lenses without an aperture ring (FAJ, DA) can't be used on K and M series cameras (like the K1000 and the ME Super), and lenses without an A setting on the aperture ring ("K" and M lenses) won't work on recent cheap MZ series bodies and the film *ist.
DA lenses are designed for the smaller image circle of the DSLRs, and most will vignette on 35mm bodies. D-FA lenses are "digitally enhanced", but will work on 35mm.
It's mostly on the site mentioned above, but I thought a summary might be helpful. The site isn't competely up-to-date.
G
"K", M and A lenses are manual focus.
Unlike other lenses, "K" lenses are styled simply SMC Pentax. There is no suffix after the word Pentax.
Lenses without an aperture ring (FAJ, DA) can't be used on K and M series cameras (like the K1000 and the ME Super), and lenses without an A setting on the aperture ring ("K" and M lenses) won't work on recent cheap MZ series bodies and the film *ist.
DA lenses are designed for the smaller image circle of the DSLRs, and most will vignette on 35mm bodies. D-FA lenses are "digitally enhanced", but will work on 35mm.
It's mostly on the site mentioned above, but I thought a summary might be helpful. The site isn't competely up-to-date.
G
Posted 04/10/2005 - 20:42
Link
As usual the forum came through with flying colours. Dave, that's a very cool site with tons of info from K mounts onward.
George, thank's for taking time to summarize - you sure know a lot. I hope one day to be able to contribute here as well.
Now, back to Dave Selmer. Do you think someone should talk to him about keeping it short? I mean the guy just goes on and on...
Cheers
George, thank's for taking time to summarize - you sure know a lot. I hope one day to be able to contribute here as well.
Now, back to Dave Selmer. Do you think someone should talk to him about keeping it short? I mean the guy just goes on and on...
Cheers
Posted 05/10/2005 - 07:44
Link
Ha ha, I didn't mean to be blunt, but that site really covers most of it (or certainly more than I could). Cheers back at ya.
Dave
Dave
Posted 05/10/2005 - 09:53
Link
Hi Mac,
Boz's site has many details on the lenses. If you are interested in what people think of them Stan's site is very useful http://stans-photography.info/ I have also put scans of a few of the Pentax lens manuals and brochures on my site at www.pentax-manuals.com.
Regards
Kim
Boz's site has many details on the lenses. If you are interested in what people think of them Stan's site is very useful http://stans-photography.info/ I have also put scans of a few of the Pentax lens manuals and brochures on my site at www.pentax-manuals.com.
Regards
Kim
Posted 05/10/2005 - 12:04
Link
Thank's for the input and Links.
This forum and its connection with the Pentax community around the world is simply amazing.
I think of asking a silly little question and bam! Three or four hours later my wife is either yelling that "supper's ready" or "come to bed". (She think's I'm having an online affair).
I've always been drawn to the art, mixed with physics, mixed with engineering, mixed with chemistry etc. etc. that photography offers, and the way it affects the way we look at the world. Why else do I get up before sunrise to be on a cold, misty lake in a kayak to (maybe) get a shot of a loon or heron which (might) actually turn out perfectly - but seldom does. My wife thinks I'm having an affair with a wood nymph - all I want is a shot of one!
So far this month, besides learning so much about Pentax from you folk, I've entered all my gear into the Database Site and bought the book, ordered and received an Interslice Light Seal Kit from Jon Goodman in Dallas, contacted Eric Hendrickson to arrange for tune-ups and have bids into eBay for a range of Spotmatic lenses and bodies. My radioactive 1.4 is sun-curing, nested in aluminum foil on a south-facing window sill - my wife thinks I'm losing my mind - AIN'T LIFE GREAT?
This forum and its connection with the Pentax community around the world is simply amazing.
I think of asking a silly little question and bam! Three or four hours later my wife is either yelling that "supper's ready" or "come to bed". (She think's I'm having an online affair).
I've always been drawn to the art, mixed with physics, mixed with engineering, mixed with chemistry etc. etc. that photography offers, and the way it affects the way we look at the world. Why else do I get up before sunrise to be on a cold, misty lake in a kayak to (maybe) get a shot of a loon or heron which (might) actually turn out perfectly - but seldom does. My wife thinks I'm having an affair with a wood nymph - all I want is a shot of one!
So far this month, besides learning so much about Pentax from you folk, I've entered all my gear into the Database Site and bought the book, ordered and received an Interslice Light Seal Kit from Jon Goodman in Dallas, contacted Eric Hendrickson to arrange for tune-ups and have bids into eBay for a range of Spotmatic lenses and bodies. My radioactive 1.4 is sun-curing, nested in aluminum foil on a south-facing window sill - my wife thinks I'm losing my mind - AIN'T LIFE GREAT?
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2277 posts
24 years
I'm starting to get a handle on M42 Screw Mount bodies and lenses, I'm pretty sure I know what K and PK (same?) mounts are. As I scan the net and eBay for lenses I get M, A, FA --- mounts etc, etc. Are there families to which these mounts belong ie: interchangeable within a group as all M42's are?
I haven't come across a site yet which provides this kind of info - if one indeed exists. Any ideas?
Oh, almost forgot - "Today's Silly Question" brought to you by: