nd filters

pink

Link Posted 21/02/2010 - 13:23
me head is spinning

I would like this year to do some landscape photography

and found some nd and nd grads with lee filter But I can't justify spending this ridicules amount on them.

grads I would like is

-0.9ND grad (hard)
-0.6ND grad (hard)
-0.6ND grad (soft)
-0.9ND ProGlass Standard

I would also like the same in a blue

what is the cokin equivalent numbers P series or even pz

James

Anvh

Link Posted 21/02/2010 - 13:58
You can recreate the coloured ones on your PC so if you won't use them to often I would not get them.

Here you can find the numbers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter

Also you get what you buy, the Cokin might be cheaper but the P series give a purple colour cast.

You could also have a look at... (forgot the name)... Formatt filters I believe, the ones they make for photography go under another namesomething like, tech...
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Steveninwyoming

Link Posted 21/02/2010 - 17:43
James, I have used Cokin filters for 3 decades and love them. The P and PZ that you refer to are filter sizes not grades of filtering. The P is for objective lenses from 58mm to about 85mm if memory serves me right. This is what I use on my lenses that have 77mm filters. I also use them on smaller lenses with the aid of an adapter and the appropriate filter ring. You can collect a nice collection on Ebay fairly cheeply.

Here is another thought. If you are going to use this kind of filter I would recomend the P size. Simply because you can use them with smaller lenses. The A filters can not be used with a lense larger than about 68mm diamater. The PZ size was designed for very large objective lenses like in Video and Tv that are 100mm and larger.

Steven

Steveninwyoming

Link Posted 21/02/2010 - 17:46
Check out the Cokin Store or Adoramacamera.com

Anvh

Link Posted 21/02/2010 - 17:54
If I understand the PZ you're talking about is the Z-pro?
I've the Z-pro and bought it as a GND kit with 3 GND of different strengths. I could get it for a very good price.
Also since it's a PRO series it use higher grade filters then the P, the Pro has hardly any colour cast.
The 100mm is more standard so the Z-Pro filter almost any square filter also it's better for ultra wide lenses.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

pink

Link Posted 21/02/2010 - 18:20
stefan

Thank you for your kind offer.
I been on the focus NEC show guide and lee filters are going to be there so I'm going to buy them.
As you have said "you get what you pay for" so like my studio and camera equipment I'm going for the best.
I use lee filters for my lighting so why not on my camera.

James

amilner

Link Posted 21/02/2010 - 21:46
Formatt can be found at www.formatt.co.uk - I've had a hard and soft grad set of theirs for years and have been very happy with them. They fit the cokin P filter system, or you can buy their own system
Tony Milner
Super A, ME Super, MZ6, K5II, Ricoh GR & lenses from 8-500mm
www.amilner.org www.flickr.com/photos/tonymilner

Anvh

Link Posted 21/02/2010 - 22:02
pink wrote:
stefan

Thank you for your kind offer.
I been on the focus NEC show guide and lee filters are going to be there so I'm going to buy them.
As you have said "you get what you pay for" so like my studio and camera equipment I'm going for the best.
I use lee filters for my lighting so why not on my camera.

James

James good luck with your buy and I haven't offered you anything, just said I bought a Z-pro kit for a good price.

amilner wrote:
Formatt can be found at www.formatt.co.uk - I've had a hard and soft grad set of theirs for years and have been very happy with them. They fit the cokin P filter system, or you can buy their own system

That's the one Tony and the still filters go under the name HITECH, never used them but I've heard good things about them.
They are 85mm and 100mm.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.