MZ-6 vs *ist

mdc

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 05:19
I'm looking for a decent AF film body to use in conjunction with my K-7; I've got a fair few manual-focus bodies (ME Super, MX, Super A, P30, plus a dozen off-brand clones from Ricoh, Cosina, Chinon etc), but nothing autofocus, and I've narrowed the options down to an MZ-6 (or possibly a 7 but P-TTL would be nice) and a *ist.

Anyone have experience of both, and can offer an opinion on which would be better to go for? Also, anyone have one they don't want anymore?

Mannesty

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 07:38
I found the *ist too small and bought my second MZ-6 about 3 years ago. I don't shoot film any more so it could use a good home where it'll get some regular exercise.

I have the body, SMCP-FA 28-90mm lens, strap, flash and viewfinder covers, and manual. All are in very good condition and deserve to be used.

Make me an offer I can't refuse and it could be yours.

If interested, let me know by PM. It'd help to know where you are in the UK, could you narrow it down to a county?
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Dangermouse

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 07:40
Personally I'd want the MZ-6. The *ist has the crippled K mount so you can only use AF lenses, the single-digit MZ series bodies have a full K mount which will work with all your lenses.

I might also look at the MZ-5 or MZ-5n, these have the KAF2 mount which allows the use of Power Zoom lenses and the controls are more like those of the manual bodies.

Whichever MZ series you buy it's worth looking for the AA battery grip, you can then run the camera on cheaper and easier to find batteries.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

Hardgravity

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 07:48
I haven't used an *ist, they're hard to find!

But I do have and use a MZ6, which is a very nice body to shoot with. The controls are pretty straight forward and the ability to use my DA 40 lens is a plus. You should be able to get a MZ6 at a good price(talk to Mannesty!) and shouldn't regret it.

Check out my website here for profile shots and my thoughts on the MZ bodies I have.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Mannesty

Link Posted 30/10/2011 - 08:30
There aren't many differences between the two bodies, except for their physical design. The *ist is a smaller body due to the way Pentax have placed the film holder. It's upside down and on the 'wrong' side compared to other 35mm SLR's.

As HG stated above, the *ist has the 'crippled' K mount whereas the MZ-6 has the full K mount allowing the correct use of manual aperture lenses.

I think the *ist has mirror lock-up, the MZ-6 does not.

The *ist has the data back as standard. On the MZ-6 it's an optional accessory (which I don't have).

I can't think of any other differences at the moment.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

mdc

Link Posted 31/10/2011 - 00:40
Currently in negotiations with Mannesty for his MZ-6

On a related note, this seller on eBay is absolutely insane:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PENTAX-MZ-3-Body-35mm-Film-Camera-Original-Box-/270839...

Starting bid: $650. Seriously.

womble

Link Posted 31/10/2011 - 08:36
mdc wrote:
Currently in negotiations with Mannesty for his MZ-6

On a related note, this seller on eBay is absolutely insane:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PENTAX-MZ-3-Body-35mm-Film-Camera-Original-Box-/270839...

Starting bid: $650. Seriously.

You'd be surprised how many of those insanely priced items are on ebay. Our 'favourite' seller is notorious...
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

mdc

Link Posted 31/10/2011 - 18:20
Still in the market for an MZ-6 if anyone has anything sitting on a shelf somewhere

mdc

Link Posted 19/11/2011 - 20:14
Well I'm now the proud owner of an MZ-6 and FA 28-90

Managed to pick them up, along with the AA battery holder, body cap and rear lens cap, OEM strap, manual and warranty card, and about 7 rolls of film including some Royal Gold 200, all for the price of £40 hand-delivered by the seller

Just itching to put a few rolls through it now
Last Edited by mdc on 19/11/2011 - 20:14

michaelblue

Link Posted 19/11/2011 - 20:31
Wow! Well done...lucky you
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

mdc

Link Posted 19/11/2011 - 20:45
Hehe Just a shame they didn't make a vertical grip for it

Hardgravity

Link Posted 19/11/2011 - 22:39
The 28-90 lens is well worth having, they're not as common as the 28-80s and sell at much higher prices.

Enjoy using your MZ6, I know I enjoy mine.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

womble

Link Posted 20/11/2011 - 15:15
Good buy! K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Mannesty

Link Posted 20/11/2011 - 15:19
What a deal, glad you got sorted.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.