My Iconic Camera
Posted 23/12/2003 - 22:30
Link
My own shortlist would include:-
The Rolleiflex TLR
The Leica
The Spotmatic
The Practica LLC
Like the recent introduction of the Canon 300D the introduction of the Practica L range brought affordable SLR cameras to the masses.
In the early 1970s I yearned for a SLR camera. The Spotmatic was way out of my price range. The Practica LLC was the top of the range Practica and offered open appeture metering via electric contacts. The Practica LLC cost around £50, which was about 3 weeks wages. I remember a photo magazine artical at the time, questioning is this the poor mans Pentax. In the 1970s I used to use my Company's Leica to do product shots. Once I had bought my LLC the Company Rollei was left on the shelf.
In 1980 I sold my LLC and bought a Pentax ME Super(another Iconic camera). However a few years ago I spotted a Practica LLC for sale and could not resist it. I don't use it very often, but it is my Icon.
grahamwalton
The Rolleiflex TLR
The Leica
The Spotmatic
The Practica LLC
Like the recent introduction of the Canon 300D the introduction of the Practica L range brought affordable SLR cameras to the masses.
In the early 1970s I yearned for a SLR camera. The Spotmatic was way out of my price range. The Practica LLC was the top of the range Practica and offered open appeture metering via electric contacts. The Practica LLC cost around £50, which was about 3 weeks wages. I remember a photo magazine artical at the time, questioning is this the poor mans Pentax. In the 1970s I used to use my Company's Leica to do product shots. Once I had bought my LLC the Company Rollei was left on the shelf.
In 1980 I sold my LLC and bought a Pentax ME Super(another Iconic camera). However a few years ago I spotted a Practica LLC for sale and could not resist it. I don't use it very often, but it is my Icon.
grahamwalton
Posted 24/12/2003 - 08:38
Link
Nice question John,
I can't argue too much with either of the two previous contributions, however (and this means I am going to argue!) where is the Nikon F series, Canon EOS etc all of which have had big influences on the photography market / industry.
Like Graham my first SLR was a Practica (an MTL3 - stop down metering, but still my pride and joy for a few years). My first Pentax was the MX, and always the most desireable Pentax was the LX (and for me it still is - MZ-S and *ist D would still get left in the gadget bag in preference to the LX)
I can't argue too much with either of the two previous contributions, however (and this means I am going to argue!) where is the Nikon F series, Canon EOS etc all of which have had big influences on the photography market / industry.
Like Graham my first SLR was a Practica (an MTL3 - stop down metering, but still my pride and joy for a few years). My first Pentax was the MX, and always the most desireable Pentax was the LX (and for me it still is - MZ-S and *ist D would still get left in the gadget bag in preference to the LX)
Stephen
Posted 02/01/2004 - 11:52
Link
I think it's between the Leica and one of the Pentaxes. The Leica was the first 35mm camera and the '64 Pentax the first really functional SLR.
My father still has a 1950's Miranda SLR, which I think was the first pentaprism camera, but you have to stop down the lens before pressing the shutter, which is a real drag and too easy to forget.
My first good camera was the SPII , which I bought in 1973. It cost a month's pay! Since then I've owned a K2, an ME, an ME Super, a Super A and a Z1-P. All were good cameras, and never gave any trouble.
The Z1-P is the best in terms of functionality - there's just about nothing it can't do - but my favourite is the Super A, which is the one I always take on holiday, being small, light, robust and capable of point and shoot or serious shooting. In my view it was the best and most versatile pre-autofocus camera ever made, but I do place a premium on portability.
I also have an old Leica (IIIc) for nostalgic reasons and a Bronica ETRS, which is beautifully made. However, the Super A is the one I would keep if I could only have one camera.
My father still has a 1950's Miranda SLR, which I think was the first pentaprism camera, but you have to stop down the lens before pressing the shutter, which is a real drag and too easy to forget.
My first good camera was the SPII , which I bought in 1973. It cost a month's pay! Since then I've owned a K2, an ME, an ME Super, a Super A and a Z1-P. All were good cameras, and never gave any trouble.
The Z1-P is the best in terms of functionality - there's just about nothing it can't do - but my favourite is the Super A, which is the one I always take on holiday, being small, light, robust and capable of point and shoot or serious shooting. In my view it was the best and most versatile pre-autofocus camera ever made, but I do place a premium on portability.
I also have an old Leica (IIIc) for nostalgic reasons and a Bronica ETRS, which is beautifully made. However, the Super A is the one I would keep if I could only have one camera.
Posted 02/01/2004 - 13:36
Link
John,
there must be many worthy competitors for that title, but surely the Pentax Zoom70 must rank among them.
Who hasn't got or at least used a zoom compact?
For many years fixed focal length cameras were the only option for those that couldn't afford or lacked the motivation to go to SLR photography.
For the "happy snapper", SLR's were just too demanding and cumbersome and even today's auto everything models are, for many, just too much to lug around.
The Zoom70 heralded the arrival of pocketable cameras with some of the versatility and advanced features that only SLR's had offered and today's shelves are still full of compact cameras (35mm/APS/digital) that follow very closely the design philosphy of the original Pentax.
In terms of advanced photography for the masses, the Pentax Zoom70 gets my vote
ps. I wonder how many of us 'cut our teeth' on the 110 and 126 instamatic cartridge cameras of the 1970's, not to mention the Kodak Disc cameras!
there must be many worthy competitors for that title, but surely the Pentax Zoom70 must rank among them.
Who hasn't got or at least used a zoom compact?
For many years fixed focal length cameras were the only option for those that couldn't afford or lacked the motivation to go to SLR photography.
For the "happy snapper", SLR's were just too demanding and cumbersome and even today's auto everything models are, for many, just too much to lug around.
The Zoom70 heralded the arrival of pocketable cameras with some of the versatility and advanced features that only SLR's had offered and today's shelves are still full of compact cameras (35mm/APS/digital) that follow very closely the design philosphy of the original Pentax.
In terms of advanced photography for the masses, the Pentax Zoom70 gets my vote
ps. I wonder how many of us 'cut our teeth' on the 110 and 126 instamatic cartridge cameras of the 1970's, not to mention the Kodak Disc cameras!
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


24425 posts
24 years
Tyldesley,
Manchester
You could, for example, consider the original Leica, which introduced 35mm photography to the mass market. Or the Kodak Retina which made 35mm affordable and inroduced the standard 135 cassette that we use today. Or the TLR Rolleiflex? Even (darte I say ot on this forum?) the Canon 300D, reducing the ball park figure for digital SLRs to more realistic levels.
My choice? The Pentax Spotmatic of 1964, giving the mass market through the lens metering and a new standard of exposure control of accuracy. All our modern cameras stem from this.
What are your nominations? Don't be shy, it needn't be Pentax! (But it could be...)
If you want to see how the other forums are responing look at:
www.adaps.org.uk
and
www.lcpu.co.uk/content1/fhome.asp
I'm fascinated to see what you all think!