My First Tutorial HELP ME!

puma

Link Posted 29/05/2012 - 21:26
How to get the Black and White you want in photoshop

Ok iam taking a chance here with you lot! LOL I have just done a Tutorial my very first one and I am really worried as I was asked to do this one.

Please could you have a look at this and please tell me what you think??
If its crap its crap but donít just say its crap if its not.
This is the very first one I have ever done! And the program I use I didnít know what the hell I was doing with. SEE link

PS and before any one says anything I know my voice sounds funny.

Thanks shaun
my web site http://www.swilsonphotography.foliopic.com/
PPG link

johnriley

Link Posted 29/05/2012 - 21:59
Your voice is fine, there are a couple of clumsy sentences that might be worth looking at, but apart from that it's OK.

You've presented your technique clearly, not the way I would do a BW conversion, but it's your technique and that's also fine. Desaturating doesn't give any control over changing the tonal values in an image, unlike using film where coloured filters would be used to make sure different colours of similar brightness were differentiated.

Selecting a channel or using Channel Mixer would give you that control.

Hope that helps!
Best regards, John

Helpful

puma

Link Posted 29/05/2012 - 22:03
johnriley wrote:
Your voice is fine, there are a couple of clumsy sentences that might be worth looking at, but apart from that it's OK.

You've presented your technique clearly, not the way I would do a BW conversion, but it's your technique and that's also fine. Desaturating doesn't give any control over changing the tonal values in an image, unlike using film where coloured filters would be used to make sure different colours of similar brightness were differentiated.

Selecting a channel or using Channel Mixer would give you that control.

Hope that helps!

John coming from you that more than helps, I really would like to thank you for your time to look at the video and give me real positive feed back thanks a lot, it helps me more thanks again
Shaun

PPG link

ronniemac

Link Posted 29/05/2012 - 23:02
Takes a bit of courage to do a tutorial and post it on Youtube. Glad you did it, I learned quite a bit from it, thank you.

I do also agree with JR's point about controling tonal values.

Thanks both,

Ronnie

Helpful

generator

Link Posted 30/05/2012 - 08:35
Quote:
Takes a bit of courage to do a tutorial and post it on Youtube.

yes it does i couldnít do it very well done are you going to make any more ? i would love to see them.
Thanks Richard

Helpful

JohnX

Link Posted 30/05/2012 - 09:06
As someone who struggles with LR, I watched this to find out how you did the conversion, not what the conversion looked like.

Overall you did a great job, but three observations;

1 Use a script. If you did, it didn't sound like it, because although your voice-over flowed well (and there's nothing wrong with your voice )there were a few 'er's', which normally indicate thinking time and invariably accompanies a speech, etc, that is unscripted/unpracticed.

With a script you stop talking at the end of a sentence and don't start again until the next sentence. Don't fill the gap with an 'er' (although we all do it).

2 You need to show the top tool bar at all times. Don't presume all your viewers know their way around LR as well as you.

You zoomed in after 20 seconds and all I could see was the main image overlaid with drop-down menus, and then often only partially. I'd have preferred to see a large main image at the start only, then leave it small and keep the tool-bar in shot, because it's the 'how' that's important, not the image itself. The image, after all, is just an example.

3 At the outset you gave a reason for making the video that sounded like an embarrassed excuse! No need and does nothing for the video.

Stick to the simple rules - tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, tell them what you've told them. In this instance, go straight in with 'This is a tutorial on how.., etc'.

Have to agree with the others; you're a brave man and well done!
Last Edited by JohnX on 30/05/2012 - 09:12

Helpful

geordie01

Link Posted 30/05/2012 - 09:14
Very good Shaun i have saved it to my favourites for future reference
It's always good to see how others do things,
Thanks

Helpful

Frogherder

Link Posted 30/05/2012 - 09:43
Thanks Shaun, An inspiration for me to try to master PS. Lets have some more please.

If I may criticise at little.
Apart from the comments by JohnX (which I also agree with)
I found the sound level rather low (both my volume control and Utube volume set at 100%) so rather difficult to listen to.

On feeding the audio through external amp/speakers it sounds as if you might have the mic right in front of your mouth so there are sputs and sssss produced. This can be often easily overcome by - a. hold the mic below your bottom lip; b. cover the mic with a sponge windshield; preferably both.

regards
Bernard

Helpful

puma

Link Posted 30/05/2012 - 22:35
Hello to all
Thank you all for taking the time to look and make comments as I said itís the very first Tutorial I have done, I will take all comments on broad.

I was asked by so many people on the other site to make this Tutorial on how I did my black and whites that I felt I had to do one.

I must say that it is my way of making the conversion from colour to B/W and not set in stone, many other people have there own ways of doing there own conversions but I like this way as it does work for me.

I know that a lot of people might not like my way and I can accept that.
The program I used I have never used it before I was told by one of the members on the site to down load it and it would help me make the Tutorial, the whole video was done in one take and with no script, ( I didnít think of that???)

Once the video had ended recording it uploaded to utube, so I didnít even have time to view the video or do any editing.
There are some very clumsy sentences in there that was one thing I worried about.

The other was when it had uploaded to utube the top was cut off the screen, so I donít know how that had happed? But when it was recording it was in full screen and sight?

But I gave it ago and hopefully it has helped someone and thatís why I did it.

Thanks very again I knew I could relay on you guys
so thanks for your support.
Shaun
PPG link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.