Pentax woes, tell us about yours.

Mannesty

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 17:32
My experience of owning Pentax DSLR's has, on the whole, been a good one. I have had a couple of nasties that have necessitated the return of some gear due to them failing in their early life.

My AF160FC flash has been returned for repair/replacement for the second time in 2 years. It fails to fully charge. I'm hoping it will be replaced by Pentax this time, rather than be repaired again.

My first two DA* 16-50mm lenses failed with focussing issues. My third lens is perfect.

I'm very glad I chose to buy from a reputable Pro Dealer without whom I would probably have had a lot more hassle getting the items replaced. It's nice to feel 'special', and my dealer makes me feel like a valued customer to the point that I will not buy Pentax gear, or anything else they sell, from anywhere else.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream

Gwyn

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 17:46
My only problem was staining on my first K-5. SRS were brilliant, of course.

I've never had an SDM failure, or any other problem with Pentax gear.

DaveN

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 17:48
I won't repeat what I have already said. I love my Pentax kit, but if Ricoh Pentax does make major changes to QC, I'm afraid Pentax as a brand won't be here in 10 years time.
Discovering the joys of photography with Pentax

wvbarnes

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 17:51
That's two threads on problems started this afternoon. Must be the foggy dullwaether keeping us in and away from clicking pics!

I've returned to Pentax in the digital era with the KX and now the KR, both brilliant. Dust in the Pentamirror was both my fault and my only issue with the KX. Dust on the sensor the only one with the KR but nothing a hurricane blow brush in my bag can't handle. Price you pay for changing lenses outdoors I guess!

My DA 55 - 300mm is fantastic and my Sigma 10 - 20mm is great despite all the warnings you shouldn't use third party lenses!

Reading around lenses with motors seem to be an issue with several big brands and there seems to be a modern obsession about inaccurate autofocusing that pro friends seem bemused by. Perhaps because they manually focus a lot of the time! I'll stick to screw drive I think which is in any case much quicker on the KR than I expected!

SteveEveritt

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 18:15
This is getting ridiculous, will everyone please stop doing the "British" thing and putting everything down. Whenever we get anything good we want to drag it down or knock it off its pedestal!
I'll wager all camera manufacturers get just as many issues with their equipment as Pentax do. I've got a K-7, its AF is not as good as I'd like and its noise level is not great but in the (just shy of) 2 years I've had it I have taken in excess of 60,000 photos (mostly rubbish but I'm learning) and it has never let me down. It puts up with all kinds of weather and every time I pull it out of the bag it works without fail, every time, when the Canon & Nikon shooters at my local kart track are running for cover because of a little precipitation I'm still there getting shots like this.
Pentax make some great cameras so let's stop dwelling on the bad news because I'll bet that for every disappointed user there are 1000 happy ones and I for one count myself in the latter group.
My Flickr link

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

michaelblue

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 18:27
SteveEveritt wrote:
This is getting ridiculous, will everyone please stop doing the "British" thing and putting everything down. Whenever we get anything good we want to drag it down or knock it off its pedestal!
I'll wager all camera manufacturers get just as many issues with their equipment as Pentax do. I've got a K-7, its AF is not as good as I'd like and its noise level is not great but in the (just shy of) 2 years I've had it I have taken in excess of 60,000 photos (mostly rubbish but I'm learning) and it has never let me down. It puts up with all kinds of weather and every time I pull it out of the bag it works without fail, every time, when the Canon & Nikon shooters at my local kart track are running for cover because of a little precipitation I'm still there getting shots like this.
Pentax make some great cameras so let's stop dwelling on the bad news because I'll bet that for every disappointed user there are 1000 happy ones and I for one count myself in the latter group.

Well said!
I've used Pentax gear since the late 70s and never had a problem - with cameras or lenses.
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

Don

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 18:33
my gear, old and new has been flawless and reliable.. (oops little lie there I had a new k10 sr switch broken traded at the retailer for a new one and a scroll wheel issue with my kr that I fixed myself with a squirt of wd-40...worked fine BTW)my only Pentax woe, is they have not yet made my dream camera.... but my dreams are a little weird, I'll admit.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Last Edited by Don on 08/11/2011 - 18:36

Gwyn

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 18:36
I thought most of the posts were favourable to Pentax.
I am very happy with all my Pentax gear, and with the resolution of the only problem I have ever had.

johnriley

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 18:42
What an incredibly negative thread title....there's an old saying that suggests there's no use crying over split milk. In other words, lamenting the past is a waste of energy.

I don't worry about the price of things after I've bought either, but I know a lot of people continue to fret long after the buying is done.
Best regards, John

tyronet2000

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 19:06
I like my Pentax gear and the Sigma and Tamron lenses I have acquired. Image quality is good at least my friends and family think so Of course I've got niggles like everyone else but not enough to wish I'd gone N or C as I'm sure they will have similar problems and dissatisfaction too, it's human nature to want something bigger better faster
Regards
Stan

PPG

grahamwalton

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 19:12
Since 1980 I have owned 16 different Pentax slr cameras. The only fault I ever had was the self timer lever dropped off my ME Super.
A Nikon owner once asked me where I get my cameras repaired, I replied that I don't need to, as nothing has gone wrong.
Friendly Regards
Graham

Algernon

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 19:15
Some of the brassing is showing through on the corners
of a black Spotmatic I bought in 1970
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Mike-P

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 19:19
On my third K-5, first two had staining (one also had a dodgy command wheel) and the current body seems to be developing a very sensitive shutter button (in that it will often take 2 shots from one press). Hopefully it was limited to the first few months of production though as there seems to be a lot less complaints around now.
. My Flickr

fatspider

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 19:22
michaelblue wrote:
SteveEveritt wrote:

Well said!
I've used Pentax gear since the late 70s and never had a problem - with cameras or lenses.

+1 Is it National negativity day or something?
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Mike-P

Link Posted 08/11/2011 - 19:26
Its easy to be positive about a product when you have had no problems with it.

Just as it is to be negative when you have.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.