mp3 player from your car's stereo

LiamD
Posted 10/03/2007 - 10:40 Link
Hi all,

this isn't spam.. I'm not selling one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cassette-Tape-To-3-5-Adaptor-CD-MP3-Adaptor_W0QQitemZ30006...

I picked up one of these (same thing, different brand) from the local Tesco superstore for £6.50 yesterday.. you can get them for less than a fiver inc. P&P from ebay if you search around.

It works exactly as it's meant to. I tried it it the van yesterday, and although the sound system is hardly refined it was fine. I then plugged it into the car's cassette player and it was superb (Ford very nicely fitted loads of speakers in the car). Anyone considering shelling out on a CD player for their car.. save your money. Buy one of these and an mp3 player/iPod; load up with your favourite tracks and away you go.

Cheers

Liam
Liam


"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James

Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas
Gwyn
Posted 10/03/2007 - 11:19 Link
My OH uses one with his Ipod since his Prius is fitted with casstte and CD player. The previous car, a Corolla, had only a CD so he also has a little fm transmitter that fits the ipod and the radio can be tuned to the frequency of the transmitter (I think it's called an itrip). Illegal here in Holland but who cares, it works! When he was in the US last week he had a hire car with an aux in, so he bought a small lead and used his ipod through that. More and more cars/radios are being fitted with these now.
I think he now has all bases covered so he can blast out the Blues no matter what. (and the Now Show pod cast )
Mongoose
Posted 10/03/2007 - 20:59 Link
the law has recently been changed in the UK to make those mini transmitters legal here. No help to you Gwyn, but nice for us.

I have a cassette adaptor thingy which I use with my not-quite-an-Ipod, works great. My parents have one which is awful though. Some unknown brand or other. Mine is a Goodmans and works a treat.
Ammonyte
Posted 10/03/2007 - 21:02 Link
I may be wrong, but as far as I recall these devices only work on cassette players where you can disable auto-reverse. Is that still the same?

Doesn't apply to me I use an iTrip with my iPod!
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html
Mongoose
Posted 10/03/2007 - 21:17 Link
Quote:
I may be wrong, but as far as I recall these devices only work on cassette players where you can disable auto-reverse. Is that still the same?

Doesn't apply to me I use an iTrip with my iPod!
it deppends on the model, my Goodmans one is double sided and geared to work with auto-reverse players. Occasionally it does get confused but it's usually solved by taking the tape out, giving it a good thump and putting it back.

It doesn't work with certain VW players though because the wire causes trouble. It wont fit in the slot in my Dad's VW Bora.
Kimbo
Posted 11/03/2007 - 22:12 Link
These things do indeed work well although they are a bit noisy (you can hear the dummy spools turning, at low volume levels) but I certainly wouldn't pay over 15 quid for one!
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
Mongoose
Posted 12/03/2007 - 18:27 Link
Quote:
These things do indeed work well although they are a bit noisy (you can hear the dummy spools turning, at low volume levels) but I certainly wouldn't pay over 15 quid for one!
not in my car you can't!

on the other hand, TBH you can't hear much of anything in my car when the engine is on lol
fatspider
Posted 12/03/2007 - 19:12 Link
This is going to be one of those short lived innovations that people will Reminisce over in a few years when it becomes obsolete, I would have thought very few cars would now be made with tape players, plus we now have the introduction of the mp3 player compatable sound systems.

My advice, dont waste your money on them, just buy a new car
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Mongoose
Posted 12/03/2007 - 19:57 Link
Quote:
This is going to be one of those short lived innovations that people will Reminisce over in a few years
TBH I thought they'd already reached that status, this is the first mention I've heared of them since I bought mine. In 2001.
Mannesty
Posted 12/03/2007 - 20:24 Link
Do they make one for 8 track ?

Only kidding. I have a Citroen C4. "Alive with technology" according to the advert. Headlights turn on automatically when it gets dark. Wipers activate when it rains, but I can't plug my iPod into the stereo though. I still use iTrip.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
fatspider
Posted 12/03/2007 - 23:04 Link
Quote:
I have a Citroen C4
I have just recently been looking at that very car, very very nice, it was a toss up between that and the Seat Leon, the wife thought the pedals too high in the Seat so we decided to go back to the Citroen, unfortunately we passed a BMW dealer on the way home
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo