Moving to full frame

Topic Lock(s)
  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Thread descended to insults

Rowmac

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 10:01
I currently have a K-x that has done beautifully over the past 3-4 years but I want to upgrade to a full-frame camera. As every man and his dog on this forum knows (apologies for the induced teeth gnashing in readers) Pentax doesn't look to be producing anything in this arena anytime soon (please note I am not looking to start a discussion about Pentax FF, don't go there).

My question are these:
Has anyone else had experience of moving to FF from Pentax?
If so, what did you buy or what have you used?
Did you trade in your old Pentax gear, if so, where and what did you buy?

I'm currently considering the Nikon D600 as an option, any thoughts?
Pentax K-x, 18-55mm & 50-200mm Kit lenses, Pentax FA 50mm F1.4 Prime "DSLR & Photography for Dummies", Gorillapod SLR-Zoom, Hama Profil Duo II Tripod

JAK

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 10:29
Given this is a Pentax forum and as you say, Pentax do not have one available, you really ought to post that question on a general photographic forum. But, not sure why you think Pentax won't be producing a FF camera anytime soon. Why file patents for new FF lenses if there is no intent to go in that direction? Sony may well have enabled that option with the sensors they are using in their new Alpha 7 cameras.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 08/12/2013 - 10:31

Defragged

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 10:46
As an interim measure, you could acquire one of the Sony's and an adapter which will allow you to use your Pentax glass instead of having to invest heavily in new glass as well, until the Pentax FF is released, (which it will and of course being Pentax will superior too!)

Just a thought...
C.O.L.B.A.S victim
(Compulsive Obsessive Lens Buying Addiction Syndrome)

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

bforbes

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 10:58
Presumably Pentax Lenses designed for film bodies would be ok for FF. How do you know if those designed for digital would be ok? That would apply equally to a Pentax FF. Are some FF bodies able to switch between sensor formats?
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/
Last Edited by bforbes on 08/12/2013 - 11:05

MattyH

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 11:00
I collected my Sony A7 yesterday, and so far so good,

But I bought it to compliment my Pentax kit, not to replace it, I could of bought the K3 but I don't like the idea of filling a small size sensor with as many pixels as possible, and also never owned a FF sensor camera and wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

But hopefully next year when Pentax pull their finger out and bring out their FF offering I can see the Sony being traded in.

Defragged

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 12:02
bforbes wrote:
Presumably Pentax Lenses designed for film bodies would be ok for FF. How do you know if those designed for digital would be ok? That would apply equally to a Pentax FF. Are some FF bodies able to switch between sensor formats?

I think you are correct Barrie in that it's probably only the Pentax FF lenses that will be compatible, so my apologies if my original post was inadvertently misleading.
C.O.L.B.A.S victim

What you need are lenses, more lenses, bigger lenses, better lenses, faster lenses, and when you have these, your pictures will be perfect!

DrOrloff

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 12:15
I think that the DA primes are compatible from 35mm upwards (except the 35macro). Zooms aren't.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined
Last Edited by DrOrloff on 08/12/2013 - 12:15

Smeggypants

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 12:17
MattyH wrote:
I collected my Sony A7 yesterday, and so far so good,

But I bought it to compliment my Pentax kit, not to replace it, I could of bought the K3 but I don't like the idea of filling a small size sensor with as many pixels as possible, and also never owned a FF sensor camera and wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

But hopefully next year when Pentax pull their finger out and bring out their FF offering I can see the Sony being traded in.

A sensible post on all levels
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

johnriley

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 12:45
This isn't the place to discuss what FF camera might be best as it's a forum for Pentax Users....I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to contemplate buying anything so expensive to see what the fuss was about, with or without an eye to swapping back. Better to buy a K-3, which is a superb camera and which out-resolves most FF cameras anyway.

It's the grass is greener syndrome IMHO, or maybe just an itchy curiosity, but an expensive one to indulge in.
Best regards, John

Defragged

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 13:18
johnriley wrote:
Better to buy a K-3, which is a superb camera and which out-resolves most FF cameras anyway.

+1
C.O.L.B.A.S victim

giofi

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 13:19
johnriley wrote:
Better to buy a K-3, which is a superb camera and which out-resolves most FF cameras anyway.

John, although this is a Pentax forum, I think it would be fair to give factual comments. Wouldn't it be right to say that the K-3 out-resolves some FF cameras, and certainly not the ones discussed in this thread!

Here a comparison
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery
Last Edited by giofi on 08/12/2013 - 13:23

JAK

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 13:25
Out of interest, there doesn't seem to be an issue discussing third party lenses with Pentax bodies, so what is the concern swapping that round and discussing third party bodies with Pentax lenses?
John K

johnriley

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 13:29
If you want to discuss forum policy, by all means drop me a PM and I'll explain it in more detail.

It wouldn't be quite right to say that giofi, but this isn't the place for it. By all means drop me a PM.
Best regards, John

giofi

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 13:39
johnriley wrote:
If you want to discuss forum policy, by all means drop me a PM and I'll explain it in more detail.

It wouldn't be quite right to say that giofi, but this isn't the place for it. By all means drop me a PM.

John,

I understand the Forum policy, fair enough.

But as we are not allowed to discuss other makes, we should also avoid comparing Pentax cameras to others, as facts cannot be shown.

It is a recurring phenomenon on this forum that the latest Pentax model is always the best camera on the market and it can only be improved by the next Pentax model. I wonder what will happen when/if Pentax will release a FF camera…. we will still say that it is not a worthwhile upgrade?

BR
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

MattyH

Link Posted 08/12/2013 - 13:42
johnriley wrote:
This isn't the place to discuss what FF camera might be best as it's a forum for Pentax Users....I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to contemplate buying anything so expensive to see what the fuss was about, with or without an eye to swapping back. Better to buy a K-3, which is a superb camera and which out-resolves most FF cameras anyway.

It's the grass is greener syndrome IMHO, or maybe just an itchy curiosity, but an expensive one to indulge in.

Topic Lock(s)
  • Topic Locked - You will not be able to post to this topic. Thread descended to insults