Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Move to Digital?

Nyami
Posted 02/12/2005 - 11:28 Link
I have been using my MZ-5n for a couple of years now but considering a move to digital. A Pentax digital SLR appears to be a logical choice as it would mean I could keep some of my lenses (I’m aware that they will not be quite the same on a digital SLR) and I’m familiar with the operation

I was in at a local camera shop the other day and they were selling a *lst DL for what I think is a good price (£500 with lens). Is now the right time to make the change? I have seen a D2 mentioned a few times in the forum, is this actually going to be release in the UK and what is it likely to sell for if it is, will its release force the price of the DL down. And I suppose I should ask if the *lst DL is a good camera.

Cheers
Nyami
George Lazarette
Posted 02/12/2005 - 14:21 Link
Rumours have it that the D2 will come out in the Autumn next year, although another lower-spec body will be coming out in the Spring.

All the Pentax DSLRs take stunning pictures, and although the D2 will be better in a number of areas it will also almost certainly have a rather higher price.

In your place I'd go for a DL or DS2 now.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Nyami
Posted 06/12/2005 - 16:54 Link
Cheers George, that was good enough for me.. I'm now a proud owner of a *isd DL.. Not had much of a chance to take photos, just a quick outing on Sunday but it was getting dark and cold (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nyami/sets/1508257/). So far I'm impressed with the ease of use and quality of picture. I just love the fact that you can snap aware without the worry of 'wasting' film. I will no doubt be back for more assistance and advice.

Cheers
Nyami
George Lazarette
Posted 06/12/2005 - 20:39 Link
Congratulations.

Do get hold of some image editing software, though. DSLR images need editing to get the best out of them (by which I mean adjusting contrast, saturation, sharpness, etc., rather than actually altering the image).

Nigg Bay looks a bit chilly at this time of year.

George
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
johnriley
Posted 06/12/2005 - 21:17 Link
The images straight from the pentax DSLRs are perfect for tweaking in Photoshop, so I absolutely agree with what George says.

I really appreciate the lower costs when I do studio shoots with models. At one time it would cost a fortune in film, but not any more...
Best regards, John
Arthur Dent
Posted 07/12/2005 - 15:04 Link
If you can find a D for sale, it's probably the best of the lot so far. The others are reduced-capacity cameras.

I have the D, and I'll wait for the D2 to get a second body.
42 Comment Image
niblue
Posted 17/12/2005 - 19:19 Link
I bought a DS and 18-55mm lens kit from Jessops today for about £550 and IMHO that's a better option that the DL.

Most of my existing equipment should work well with it, however I'm going to have to do something at the wide angle end as I've now for two zooms with 18mm wide ends but that's only about 27mm equivalent with the DS.
johnriley
Posted 17/12/2005 - 19:58 Link
The new 12-24mm zoom should be helpful.
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.