Motorsport: London ePrix, Battersea Park

simonarron

Link Posted 28/06/2015 - 20:05
Stock car stadia apart, Greater London has just hosted its first motor race since 1972, when the Crystal Palace circuit locked its gates. It would have been rude not to attend. All with K-5 IIs & Tamron 70-200 unless otherwise indicated.

1 - Scene-setter (K-3, Tamron 17-50)

2 - Race two winner Sam Bird and the art of flirting with concrete

3 - Stéphane Sarrazin was first across the line in race two, but was penalised for exceeding his permitted battery energy allocation. Is any other industry as pedantic as mine?

4 - Yes, one of these fits a single-seater racing car (just). The occasional Have I Got News For You? presenter did a demo lap on Friday afternoon

5 - Tripping the light fantastic

6 - Karun Chandhok spurns the opportunity to stop for a quick pint (K-3, 17-50)

7 - Double F1 world champion Emerson Fittipaldi was one of the most celebrated visitors

8 - His dad won three F1 tites, but Nelson Piquet Mk2 now has a Formula E gong to add to his 2004 British F3 Championship trophy

9 - Jarno Trulli: won the 2004 Monaco GP, but a bit rubbish in a Formula E car...

LennyBloke

Link Posted 28/06/2015 - 20:33
Excellent set of photos - you've brought out the quality of the event much better than it looked on TV
LennyBloke

wvbarnes

Link Posted 28/06/2015 - 20:34
Hi Simon, excellent. We watched it on telly. That Tamron looks a superb lens for this purpose.

Stuey

Link Posted 28/06/2015 - 21:22
LennyBloke wrote:
Excellent set of photos - you've brought out the quality of the event much better than it looked on TV

I was thinking a very similar thing

Nice shots
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

08tiger

Link Posted 29/06/2015 - 01:08
coming to a park near you, could be a way to get round all those noise restrictions at tracks like mallory park.
Great set Simon.
C&C welcome.
Don.

swarf

Link Posted 29/06/2015 - 11:05
LennyBloke wrote:

+ 1

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link

carmagw

Link Posted 29/06/2015 - 12:50
Nice set Simon.

From watching it on the TV the general public viewing areas didn't look good for photos due to the amount of crash fencing (track seems very enclosed due to its temporary nature ).

Regards

George

simonarron

Link Posted 29/06/2015 - 17:57
Thanks, all.

carmagw wrote:
From watching it on the TV the general public viewing areas didn't look good for photos due to the amount of crash fencing

I'm not sure you could see very much at all from some of the public areas, let alone photograph anything, although it took a while for security to get on top of things. On Saturday morning, I saw a few punters standing by the walls and poking a smartphone through the debris fencing, That was stamped out, eventually...

The official photo holes were often either too high (for 5ft 9in me, at least) or else in unsuitable locations, but this was a first attempt and I'm sure things will improve with time. One of my favourite angles was #5, but that was taken through a small gap between a TV cameraman's arm and the fence - there was no provision for still photography, even though it was one of the prettiest spots on the track when the sun was a) out and b) in the correct place. Almost every time the cameraman twitched, your slender field of vision vanished. There was a good atmosphere, though, and it was nice to be able to take a 17-minute train ride and then walk to the paddock, rather than being on the road at 4.30am (or else on an aeroplane).

I'm sure there will be complaints about restricted views from the public areas, although I haven't seen any as yet.

stub

Link Posted 01/07/2015 - 13:01
Fabulous images... I was thinking of upgrading to the K3. May be having second thoughts after admiring your work....
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

simonarron

Link Posted 01/07/2015 - 16:57
stub wrote:
I was thinking of upgrading to the K3. Maybe having second thoughts...

I use the K-5 IIs and K-3 in tandem, Stuart, recently with the 70-200 attached to the K-5 IIs and DA300/Sigma 10-20/Tamron 17-50 alternating on the K-3. The 70-200 is my most versatile motor sport lens and I like to have it available at all times, but it's purely a matter of chance that it is glued to the K-5 IIs at present. I have no particular preference for body/lens combination. The relative merits of the two bodies have previously been discussed on the forum ad infinitum, but neither confers any particular advantage for my own needs. I'm happy with what they do and really that's all that matters. I bought a K-3 partly because my first K-5 was starting to show its age (I still retain it as a perfectly serviceable spare), but mostly because Amazon France had a lightning deal at an irresistible price...

SRHphoto

Link Posted 02/07/2015 - 07:56
Hi Simon,

Great set, but #5 is a bit special. Love the composition with the kerb hopping, but the light really makes the picture for me.

Excellent stuff.

Simon.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.