More on Countryfile winner - unbelievable!!

dcweather
Posted 07/10/2013 - 18:22 Link
I have just watched it on hearing the news. I am stunned. This is my local patch one mile from where I live. Plus - I took the bluebell pic from the same spot for my local photographic club monthly theme "Spring". And just to rub salt in the wounds I rejected it for lacking impact and have deleted the raw file! If only I had thought of that fish-eye filter. Doh, I told you I was rubbish at landscapes!!
Dave
P.S I haven't met Bill on my frequent visits there.
cameraboy
Posted 07/10/2013 - 18:43 Link
This is obviously some talented or (lucky) guy as nobody can stop talking about him. Sorry you to hear you know the place well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
k7 10-17fe 12-24 55 100 macro 18-55 50-200
davidstorm
Posted 07/10/2013 - 22:32 Link
dcweather wrote:
I have just watched it on hearing the news. I am stunned. This is my local patch one mile from where I live. Plus - I took the bluebell pic from the same spot for my local photographic club monthly theme "Spring". And just to rub salt in the wounds I rejected it for lacking impact and have deleted the raw file! If only I had thought of that fish-eye filter. Doh, I told you I was rubbish at landscapes!!
Dave
P.S I haven't met Bill on my frequent visits there.
I have to say Dave that I'm stunned too! I don't know the location but when I saw the shot in the finalists my first reaction was that it was rather average. I'm amazed it has won and despite viewing it lots of times I really can't see what is so stunning about it. Either I don't have a clue about what's a good photo (almost certainly true) or most other people don't!

Does anyone else think it was a bit average?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
autumnlight
Posted 07/10/2013 - 23:07 Link
davidstorm wrote:
dcweather wrote:
I have just watched it on hearing the news. I am stunned. This is my local patch one mile from where I live. Plus - I took the bluebell pic from the same spot for my local photographic club monthly theme "Spring". And just to rub salt in the wounds I rejected it for lacking impact and have deleted the raw file! If only I had thought of that fish-eye filter. Doh, I told you I was rubbish at landscapes!!
Dave
P.S I haven't met Bill on my frequent visits there.
I have to say Dave that I'm stunned too! I don't know the location but when I saw the shot in the finalists my first reaction was that it was rather average. I'm amazed it has won and despite viewing it lots of times I really can't see what is so stunning about it. Either I don't have a clue about what's a good photo (almost certainly true) or most other people don't!

Does anyone else think it was a bit average?

Regards
David
David i thought it was a beautiful picture, one i would have been proud of, i think the fisheye clinched it but i doubt if Chris Packham would have chosen it as his overall winner, he is usually so critical, i also think the majority of viewers who have voted would have been of a certain age as it has a timeless quality to it, but hey it was a Pentax!
davidstorm
Posted 07/10/2013 - 23:13 Link
Hi Maria, it just goes to show that we all see things very differently and this is what makes art and photography so interesting. Both tend to polarise opinions and clearly I'm in a minority when it comes to the winning image.

It would be very boring if we all liked the same things!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
ronniemac
Posted 07/10/2013 - 23:37 Link
Big congratulations to Bill Robinson, a Pentax photographer, who was voted winner of the 55,000 photo entries. Personally, I think it is a first rate picture, not dramatic but very well observed and photographed. Nice of the judges to short list it, and worth observing that Countryfile viewers enjoy this sort of photography - as do I.

I guess impact isn't always an essential criteria in photography, however given that the winner is photographed with his Pentax in hand I think this photo will make quite a big impact both on Pentax as much as it will on those who use other brands and haven't taken Pentax seriously.

A good day for Bill and a good day for Pentax.
davidstorm
Posted 07/10/2013 - 23:54 Link
ronniemac wrote:
A good day for Bill and a good day for Pentax.
I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments about this being good for Bill and good for Pentax , especially with the release of the K-3 imminent, it should be a golden opportunity for some good PR. However, it's the image that attracts me, not the make or type of camera it was taken with and I just feel that I've seen many better ones than this.

I'm not trying to detract from the achievement of winning this competition - it's fantastic, but the winner cannot be everyone's favourite!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Edited by davidstorm: 07/10/2013 - 23:55
Smeggypants
Posted 08/10/2013 - 04:34 Link
davidstorm wrote:
dcweather wrote:
I have just watched it on hearing the news. I am stunned. This is my local patch one mile from where I live. Plus - I took the bluebell pic from the same spot for my local photographic club monthly theme "Spring". And just to rub salt in the wounds I rejected it for lacking impact and have deleted the raw file! If only I had thought of that fish-eye filter. Doh, I told you I was rubbish at landscapes!!
Dave
P.S I haven't met Bill on my frequent visits there.
I have to say Dave that I'm stunned too! I don't know the location but when I saw the shot in the finalists my first reaction was that it was rather average. I'm amazed it has won and despite viewing it lots of times I really can't see what is so stunning about it. Either I don't have a clue about what's a good photo (almost certainly true) or most other people don't!

Does anyone else think it was a bit average?

Regards
David
Yes I do. I think it's a distinctly mediocre image and that's stretching it.

I don't think I've ever seen a "Competition winner" that I've found so uninspiring and dull.

I always stick to my honest opinion regardless of what others think.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Pentaxophile
Posted 08/10/2013 - 07:57 Link
I thought it was lovely, the way the tree branches curved around that path making a tunnel. But then I noticed the words 'fisheye filter effect' and that kind of killed it for me!
dcweather
Posted 10/10/2013 - 21:41 Link
I was a bit underwhelmed with it but thought perhaps it was jealousy in not thinking of spicing mine up with a fisheye filter. I'm pleased for Bill though and also surprised I've not bumped into him up there.
I think with any competition of 55000 entries there are probably about a 1000 potential winners in reality. Just think when you take 200 shots on an outing how difficult it is to pick your favourite and that probably changes each time you look!
Posted 15/10/2013 - 11:04 Link
Terrible thing, jealousy
tyronet2000
Posted 15/10/2013 - 13:53 Link
Quote:
Just think when you take 200 shots on an outing how difficult it is to pick your favourite and that probably changes each time you look!
I had a really easy task on my last outing. Not sure what happened but think I got about 3 out of 156 worth playing with. Talk about an 'off day' I would have been better using my phone camera
Regards
Stan

PPG

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo