Monitor calibration devices - something fairly good, straightforward & not too expensive?

jeallen01

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 14:27
The question is exactly as the Topic Title!

I think I need something fairly good, straightforward & not too expensive - thus:
- I only need to cal one external monitor and possibly a laptop with PE (11 at the moment) and LR5.X
- I won't be using it often (I hope)
- I'm "getting on a bit", my colour sight is not perfect and I need something that will not take too long to learn to use!
- Price range would be around a £100 +/- 20% (£120 would certainly be the top limit)

Perfectly happy to buy S/H if someone has the right thing in VGC.

Answers on an electronic postcard please

Thanks in advance.

John
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 13/12/2014 - 15:47

robertw

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 21:02
Hi John,

I use X-rites's ColorMunki Display. I found that my monitor was not in agreement with photos coming back from the printers and since calibrating with this thing all has been well.
When first using it, you'll go through a calibration sequence after which it is left connected with a small light- monitoring device placed nearby. It then keeps a check on your lighting conditions and alters your monitor to suit as the lighting in the room changes. The frequency of these checks is in the initial set-up. It's up near your top spend limit from Wex but I'm sure it must be available much cheaper on the on-line auction sites.
My eyes, too, aren't as sharp as they were plus I'm red/green colourblind which I'm sure doesn't help when trying to assess images and work with them.

Regards
Robert

jeallen01

Link Posted 13/12/2014 - 22:14
Thanks, that's very interesting but, OTOH, I seem to have read quite a few posts on the other US forum that Colormunki can have unforeseen and unfortunate side-effects - so that's why I posted my question and to see what people had experienced with it and of possible alternatives, but without "loading the dice" with possible products.
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)

Link Posted 16/12/2014 - 10:26
As usual a critical piece of equipment, my i1 Display 2 died just when I needed it most. It had always been a pig to set-up and use, needing three or four attempts to get a half decent profile on my creaky old NEC monitor, so I wasn't sorry to lose it. I'd swore that I wouldn't go with x-rite again but Bristol Cameras had the i1 Display Pro on special offer, so I bit the bullet because the bride and groom were getting rather impatient. Excellent piece of kit, hits the nail on the head first time every time.
As for me, all I know is that I know nothing.

MattMatic

Link Posted 16/12/2014 - 10:38
I have the Spyder 1 & 2 and a Pantone Huey.
Think I paid £25 for the Huey second hand
The Huey is relatively quick at profiling compared to the Spyders.

All of them work MUCH better with Arygll CMS and the dispcalGUI application which I use on Mac and Windows.

HTH,
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

jeallen01

Link Posted 16/12/2014 - 10:49
Morning folks

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions - will take into serious consideration1

OTOH, I may well just have blown the car engine up very badly, so the expenditure might go on hold until I know exactly what has happened and what it's going to cost me

Kind Regards

John

kh1234567890

Link Posted 16/12/2014 - 19:55
MattMatic wrote:

I have two Hueys - the second one was only a few quid on eBay. The first one is perfect and calibrates my monitor exactly to my liking. The second one is nothing like that and struggles, usually ending up far too green. Go figure ...
Flickr Stream

michaelblue

Link Posted 16/12/2014 - 20:16
kh1234567890 wrote:
MattMatic wrote:

I have two Hueys - the second one was only a few quid on eBay. The first one is perfect and calibrates my monitor exactly to my liking. The second one is nothing like that and struggles, usually ending up far too green. Go figure ...

Yup, I had that problem (except in my case it was too red.) I contacted Pantone and they sent me a new one saying there had been a faulty batch producing red or green casts.
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link
Last Edited by michaelblue on 16/12/2014 - 20:18

jeallen01

Link Posted 21/12/2014 - 15:25
Worst fears about the car are almost confirmed - and the bill is going to be a LOT bigger than I first thought (like think about a new engine )
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.