Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Monitor Calibration

fritzthedog
Posted 01/05/2014 - 08:50 Link
My trusty old monitor finally died last Friday - great week as the ridiculous 'American style' fridge freezer the size of shed that I was persuaded to buy a couple of years ago stopped freezing and the repair estimate would pay for a new 'normal' fridge freezer - and then the dishwasher totally packed in.

For reasons I do not fully comprehend, my better half believes that keeping food fresh and cleaning crockery take priority over editing images etc leaving limited funds for a new monitor.

Anyway - managed to get an excellent deal from a local independent on a 24" HD Samsung S24B150BL Monitor. Have to say for a monitor at the low end of the price range - I am very impressed.

The only issue is - calibration. It comes with a calibration disk and after several attempts to calibrate it using the software - I am not happy with the results - particularly in LR4 - I seem to get a greenish cast on light areas - cloud - steam etc.

Has anybody successfully used Samsung calibration software? Does anybody have any calibration tips that do not involve further expenditure or a degree in astrophysics to use?

Any help/ advice gratefully received!

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
gwing
Posted 01/05/2014 - 14:44 Link
The easiest way I know is to first turn off all the 'pretty colour' settings in camera and take a picture out of the window at the garden. Then display it on screen and adjust the monitor so it looks as much like the garden as possible. Job done.

The best way is to go the whole colour calibration/ fully colour managed workflow route but that sounds as if it isn't what you want.
michaelblue
Posted 01/05/2014 - 15:09 Link
Try 'Calibrize 2' It's free
link

Another one is 'Quick Gamma'
link
Regards,
Michael
Edited by michaelblue: 01/05/2014 - 15:23
bettyswolloks
Posted 01/05/2014 - 17:59 Link
I have a little Huey that seems to do the job, keeps flashing at me like the red light on the front of kit, which is geeky
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
fritzthedog
Posted 01/05/2014 - 19:21 Link
Michael - thanks - will give these a go - nothing to lose
gwing - may also try that

Betty -

bettyswolloks wrote:
I have a little Huey that seems to do the job, keeps flashing at me like the red light on the front of kit, which is geeky

A liitle Huey? a small helicopter or a euphemism?

Joking aside - sorry no idea what a liitle Huey is and a quick web search did not help.

Carl
michaelblue
Posted 01/05/2014 - 19:46 Link
The Huey is a small calibration device that plugs into the USB socket and calibrates your monitor and also continually adjusts it according to the ambient light.....costs around 50 quid.
Regards,
Michael
kh1234567890
Posted 01/05/2014 - 20:04 Link
michaelblue wrote:
The Huey is a small calibration device that plugs into the USB socket and calibrates your monitor and also continually adjusts it according to the ambient light.....costs around 50 quid.

I've had mine for years - from the stone age when it would stick to the CRT glass with its little rubber sucker cups. I only have the pleb version as in those days I could but aspire to the Huey Pro

There are many of these monitor calibration devices about - since there isn't anything to wear out a secondhand one from eBay might be a good buy. Well worth having one.
Edited by kh1234567890: 01/05/2014 - 20:09
bettyswolloks
Posted 01/05/2014 - 20:21 Link
Have a look here Mate.
It calibrates the screen then keeps things in order, its a good little thing Mate, well worth the money.
michaelblue
Posted 01/05/2014 - 20:41 Link
bettyswolloks wrote:
Have a look here Mate.
It calibrates the screen then keeps things in order, its a good little thing Mate, well worth the money.

CRIKEY! They've gone up a bit...105 pounds? I paid 49.99 for mine
Regards,
Michael
bettyswolloks
Posted 01/05/2014 - 20:51 Link
michaelblue wrote:
bettyswolloks wrote:
Have a look here Mate.

CRIKEY! They've gone up a bit...105 pounds? I paid 49.99 for mine

I paid £34 for mine, shop about! The link was just to show which Huey I was using/talking about
fritzthedog
Posted 01/05/2014 - 20:53 Link
thanks guys will have a look - will try the free software first - totally wiped out at present!

Carl
bettyswolloks
Posted 01/05/2014 - 21:05 Link
To be honest here, the Huey made very little difference the 1st time I ran it. I'd just used the tools that are built into windows, and the black and white strip at the bottom of this page
kh1234567890
Posted 01/05/2014 - 23:13 Link
fritzthedog wrote:
thanks guys will have a look - will try the free software first - totally wiped out at present!

I'd keep an eye on that eBay one in my link ...
nass
Posted 02/05/2014 - 10:45 Link
Fwiw, don't buy a Spyder4 Pro. I have a normal win7 PC with decent graphics card and it's caused no end of issues with me crashing and bluescreening.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.