Modular camera bag?
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.
Asahi Photo are offering free SLR health checks exclusively for the Pentax User membership.
Photograph titled 'Bricks and Branch' by LennyBloke selected as Pentax User's Photo of the Week.
Proudly supporting Pentax User |
||
![]() |
![]() |
|
611 posts
19 years
Surrey
Although similar to several "slingshot" camera bags made by the usual suspects I had no response to this post https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/photo-recon-bag-41394 so I had no alternative but to buy one and give it a try. The main difference, apart from perhaps the shape, is that unlike most camera bags this one can have extra storage added to it as required. This concept is possible due to the grid of webbing straps sewn on the outside of the bag. See here for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOLLE
There are many types of padded bags with PALS webbing on the outside suitable for delicate equipment but I chose this one: http://www.heinnie.com/Hazard-4-Bags/Bags/Evac-Photo-Recon/p-776-1038-5751/
This particular bag is only available in black or "Coyote", I chose the later but there are other colours available depending on the type of bag and the manufacturer. As you would expect though, as a military system the colours tend to be rather drab. The really neat part of the whole system though is that there are literally hundreds of different types of bags and pouches available that you can add to the main pack. I've only seen 4 or 5 dedicated lens pouches but this doesn't mean you can't use other pouches if you use a bit of ingenuity. The "lens" pouch on my bag is actually for a water bottle but I've simply added some padding (section of kip mat) to increase the protection/versatility.
If you want to see what's available these are a couple of suppliers I've used recently. http://www.military1st.co.uk/bags-and-rucksacks-backpacks-and-rucksacks/ and http://www.heinnie.com/Bags-and-Wallets/c-1-281/ names to look out for are: Hazard 4, Maxpedition, 5.11 bags and FLYYE to name just a few.
Not had chance to use my bag in earnest yet so can't say how well it will work in practice but if I do need to change it I can easily swap over any pouches I've bought to the new bag if I need to. I should add that many of the hundreds of pouches available can also be fitted to a belt instead if required.
Here's mine with two small pouches and water bottle pouch added.
[IMG]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee286/Arbalist/ddf5144f21fc90f82ab73077795a735e_zps89b5258c.jpg[/IMG]
Side of bag with tripod straps:
[IMG]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee286/Arbalist/c78b0443b609a7d36fb9f13014b5f960_zps1f90fcbd.jpg[/IMG]
This picture shows side access to main compartment. This is also accessible from the top and padded Velcro pads are provided to sub divide the storage as required. Shown is a K5 with 16-45 fitted and a 55-300 in it's black bag.
[IMG]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee286/Arbalist/74742656feeb908f7af74e59143f8e5f_zpsf4e64dfd.jpg[/IMG]
Sigma 8-16 Pentax DA 16-45 Pentax DA 55-300 Pentax 18-55WR Tamron 90 Di Macro Metz 44 AF-1