Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Mobile backup solutions?

geclinke
Posted 26/07/2009 - 12:53 Link
I'm in the market for a mobile backup solution, and had a question that people might be able to help with.
Looking around, it seems far more cost effective to invest in a netbook, than a bespoke solution - e.g. HyperDrive, etc..
Other than the relative size, is there something that I'm missing? It seems to me that a netbook is going to cost about the same, but with the obvious benefit of at least being a half decent screen size (prob. 10.1") to view images as well. In terms of backup, perfectly happy with using a SDHC USB adapter to get the information onto whatever backup medium.
I've used my laptop as a solution in the past, but not sure I want the hassle of carrying it around. I don't think my travelling companion will be keen on me kicking off post-production sessions each night either...
k5, 50mm FA, 18-55mm Kit, 50-200mm DA, 15mm Fisheye Sigma, 10-17mm DA Fisheye, 18-55mm DA WR, DA* 60-250, DA* 16-50
Road_Dancer
Posted 26/07/2009 - 13:20 Link
If you're looking at a netbook, as far as I'm concerned, your main question is SSD or HDD.

Solid State Disks will provided a faster and more resilient storage solution, at the expense of storage and money.

A HDD based netbook will have considerably more storage (My wife's Acer 1 has a 120Gb 2.5" HDD), at the same or lesser price then a SSD based Netbook, which is great, but then it also carries the vulnerability to knocks and general HDD failures.

Most Netbooks well have a SDHC compatible slot on them already. The Acer has two in fact, one for adding extra storage on the fly, and the other for using as a standard removable drive.

Operating System is a factor as well of course. Paying for Windows, and it's familiarity, or getting a Linux build, and there are many flavours, or installing an OS of your own choice instead.

Battery life is also a factor to consider, some Netbooks coming with much more life then others. Don't forget to turn off the wireless if you're not using it, as that's a massive drain on the battery life.

Lastly, do not discount ergonomics. My wife settled on the Acer after trying out a variety of Netbooks, and found the look and feel was by far the best for her. Keyboard and screen quality are very important!

Hope that helps!
Pentax K10d; Metz mecablitz 48 AF-1; Pentax A 50mm F2; Pentax 18-55mm DAII; Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-5.6; Koboron 24-70mm F3.5-4.8. Pentax MZ-7, Zenit 35mm
My Flickr Photos
Daniel Bridge
Posted 26/07/2009 - 13:26 Link
I can also recommend the Samsung NC10. Battery life usually in excess of 6 hours, often 8, and keyboard and screen also good.

Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
simonkit
Posted 26/07/2009 - 13:35 Link
I've tried several different solutions over the past year or two....

Portable DVD burner, Portable storage device and now a Lenovo Netbook

For me the Netbook is by far the best solution, not only does it provide a large amount of backup capacity, it also runs Photoshop and with a mobile broadband USB stick allows access to email and the WWW whilst away, great for researching tourist attractions/places to visit or anything else you might want info on.

Simon
johnriley
Posted 26/07/2009 - 14:41 Link
We still use laptops in the field, but in the future the much smaller netbooks might well be the answer.
Best regards, John
Hardgravity
Posted 26/07/2009 - 15:04 Link
Let me throw a spanner in the works.

I used my Creative Zen media player on a recent weekend city break.

OK it's only a 8gig model, enough to copy my full card once only, but it was a cheap backup.

Not perfect, I know, but a lot cheaper than a netbook and it plays music too!
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
GlynM
Posted 26/07/2009 - 15:13 Link
I'm using a Samsung NC20. It was really bought for my wife to use at the record office for family history research but it seems to run Photoshop Elements without any apparent problem. I have been using it for presentations.

Battery life is a bit down on the NC10, probably 6 hours max, but it has a bigger 12" screen making it almost a lap-top

There are some concerns that it does not have a multi-threading processor but from my direction this has not been a problem. I have of-course upgraded its memory to the 2G max and I also bought an external DVD drive but most of the time this stays at home.

Glyn
Road_Dancer
Posted 26/07/2009 - 15:29 Link
GlynM wrote:

There are some concerns that it does not have a multi-threading processor but from my direction this has not been a problem.

IMHO, that would only ever be a problem for someone who mistakes a Netbook for a Laptop. And there are a lot of 'em about!

Yes, a Netbook can run pretty much everything a 'real' PC can, just don't expect it to multi-task any better then a PC from pre-dual core days.
Pentax K10d; Metz mecablitz 48 AF-1; Pentax A 50mm F2; Pentax 18-55mm DAII; Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-5.6; Koboron 24-70mm F3.5-4.8. Pentax MZ-7, Zenit 35mm
My Flickr Photos
geclinke
Posted 26/07/2009 - 17:29 Link
Looks like I may be buying a Samsung NC10. It's a little annoying, I'm going to be travelling on a relatively budget airline - and I don't rate my chances of getting past the check-in staff with heavy hand luggage.
I've got a LowePro Computrekk(er?) and it fits the size limitations fine, but fully loaded with camera and laptop it's pushing 11kg.
A 15" laptop also seems to be a pain when it comes to hotel safes - found that they don't always fit.
I would just go with a load more memory cards, but I'm planning on trying a few new techniques and styles, and want the opportunity to briefly review things at the end of the day.

The joys of technology - looks like I'm going to end up with 2 "laptops" and a server....
k5, 50mm FA, 18-55mm Kit, 50-200mm DA, 15mm Fisheye Sigma, 10-17mm DA Fisheye, 18-55mm DA WR, DA* 60-250, DA* 16-50
Gwyn
Posted 26/07/2009 - 21:29 Link
We still use a Vosonics image tank, as well as the laptop if we take it.
Lately though I've just be using the SD cards, putting the write protect on them when fullish and using another one. I got through 4 weeks in the US with 6 4Gb cards. I backed one up to the image tank when things were getting tight towards the end, but I needn't have bothered as it turned out.
We've never put the laptop in a hotel safe - really never seen the need to. And some hotels now charge for use of the safe.
Never put the camera in one either come to that.
Mannesty
Posted 26/07/2009 - 21:57 Link
A few extra memory cards is going to be a lot cheaper and lighter than a Netbook/Notebook PC and it'll make sure you are not tempted to start processing them.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Edited by Mannesty: 26/07/2009 - 21:59
simonkit
Posted 26/07/2009 - 22:33 Link
With SD cards so cheap now it's certainly possible to use them as backup - I play double safe & carry several 4GB cards which I backup to the Netbook and then leave the images on the SD card too, only deleting them once they're on my PC

Simon
Road_Dancer
Posted 26/07/2009 - 22:58 Link
simonkit wrote:
I backup to the Netbook and then leave the images on the SD card too

Hit the nail on the head there.

I think that's the point of having it as a 'backup' It's one thing to have your images on several SD cards. What happens if you lose one of those memory cards?

The whole point of having a backup is, that you have... Well, a backup!

I'd rather take the Netbook with me, copy the images and then switch memory cards, knowing that I have the Netbook and the images on the memory card.
My Flickr Photos
Edited by Road_Dancer: 26/07/2009 - 23:09
wasleys
Posted 27/07/2009 - 00:15 Link
For trips where size and weight matter I use an ASUS Eee PC which weighs in at under 1kg. Being paranoid I then backup from that onto flash drives (which travel in a different bag) as well as keeping the original cards until I'm home.

An advantage of SSD over HDD which hasn't been mentioned is that SSD is OK at high altitudes where HDDs are not.

Michael
Anvh
Posted 27/07/2009 - 05:50 Link
wasleys wrote:
An advantage of SSD over HDD which hasn't been mentioned is that SSD is OK at high altitudes where HDDs are not.

Michael

First time hearing that one Micheal, do you want to enlighten us and explain why?

I'm also wandering why people take a laptop with them for the simple reason to back up the flash card. Any reasons behind that besides that you may lose the SD card?

There are image tanks on the market, which might be all that you need.
Stefan
Comment Image

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ
Edited by Anvh: 27/07/2009 - 05:54

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.