Misty Starts

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 04/10/2019 - 12:17
Hi all... have been meaning to post these for a while. A misty midsummer morning last summer on Pedne (Pedn Vounder) beach near Treen, Cornwall. Stupid early start. One of my favourite places in Cornwall. Bit of a walk to get to, so never too busy (although getting busier every year, I've noticed). Logan Rock far distance. Absolute quiet apart from the lapping waves and the cry of the odd seabird. The sea, the mist, untouched sand, and the old rocks surrounding it. All Pentax K1ii and various lenses inc DFA 24-70, FA 20 2.8.

All thoughts, comments, observations etc gratefully received as ever...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

Nigelk

Link Posted 04/10/2019 - 13:56
A beautiful contemplative set Bill. Lovely description/explanation to guide us in.
I like them all but it is the more parred back ones (Not that any are busy) that seem to really draw me in, No. 2 being my personal favourite followed by 6 and 8. Just love those subtle colours and shapes in the sea in 2. All very well composed and considered.

davidtrout

Link Posted 04/10/2019 - 15:35

GeoffMoore

Link Posted 04/10/2019 - 15:52
#2 for me too! Simple leading line taking you through the image. very nice.
YouTube: Photography Vlog
Facebook: Photography Page Weekly Updates and Musings
Twitter: Photography Mini Thoughts
Instagram: Yes, Here
Flickr: Yes Here

LennyBloke

Link Posted 04/10/2019 - 17:42
In old money 2 and 6 for me

All excellent, it's not easy to bring the best out of conditions like these - the mist can overpower and flatten so much, but you've made the most of that limited colour palette and have used the low contrast to great effect.

Keep it up Bill
LennyBloke

danofmk

Link Posted 04/10/2019 - 17:48
A little too much vignette for me in number 2, otherwise I'd say that was the winner.

Really like the negative space in 8.

Great set, thanks for sharing

pschlute

Link Posted 04/10/2019 - 20:32
No 6 get# my vote. The mistiness really works well. All very good of course
Peter

My Flickr page

Susie

Link Posted 05/10/2019 - 13:35
Fabulous clicks -100/100

Chrism8

Link Posted 05/10/2019 - 19:37
pschlute wrote:
No 6 get# my vote. The mistiness really works well. All very good of course

Yep, +1 😋
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax FA 24 - 70 F2.8

Sigma 100-300 F4, Samyang 14mm F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8,

K5iis - Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Sigma 70 - 300 F3.5/F5.6, Sigma 18 - 200 F3.6 / F4.5.

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 05/10/2019 - 22:00
6 is a cracker, 2 is good also, feels balanced. I like also the opening image with the juxtaposition of softness/sharpness, texture/softness
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 24-70mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 50mm macro - Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr
My PPG
My 500px

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 06/10/2019 - 10:48
Thanks all for thoughts and comments re these...

Nigel and John, yes, interesting... had earmarked this day for a while to go down to Pedne for a dawn patrol (low tide)... the mist was unexpected... have had plenty of days elsewhere with these kind of conditions, but never here... it was extraordinarily beautiful as an experience, totally immersive, but surprisingly tricky photographically... particularly compressing what was very much a three dimensional multi sensory experience into two (predominantly visual) dimensions... also on the processing front... went for stillness in the end... that sense of being almost in a parallel universe, completely cut off from the outside world...

Dan, thanks for thoughts re vignette on 2... will have a look at that...

Gareth, yes, there’s something about 1 that I really like... might have a look at some crops...

Thanks all...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

K10D

Link Posted 06/10/2019 - 12:11
Great work illustrating what can be achieved in circumstances that may deter some to use a camera.

The pastels in #6 really do impress.

Best regards
cameradextrous _ Motorcycles etc. link

thingsthatihaveseen

Link Posted 08/10/2019 - 18:31
Thanks Gary... yes, was an interesting exercise for me too... not at all what I was expecting, but felt very lucky to have been there... very beautiful in its own way...

Best
Bill

BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook

davidstorm

Link Posted 08/10/2019 - 21:11
I love the simple minimalism of these shots, a feeling which is enhanced by the misty conditions. These are the sort of images that provoke calm thoughts and contemplation.

Very different to some of your other sets Bill and well worth an early start I think.

Regards
David
My Website http://imagesbydavidstorm.foliopic.com

Flickr

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

richandfleur

Link Posted 09/10/2019 - 00:53
davidstorm wrote:
I love the simple minimalism of these shots, a feeling which is enhanced by the misty conditions. These are the sort of images that provoke calm thoughts and contemplation.

Exactly my thoughts. Great stuff.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.