Missing EXIF Information
Posted 13/11/2013 - 20:08
Link
SteveEveritt wrote:
Some editing software remove it during PP.
Thanks Steve, that explains things. Some of the images to which I was referring, displayed evidence of heavy editing.
Some editing software remove it during PP.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 13/11/2013 - 20:08
Link
Using Save For Web will generally strip out the EXIF data. I tend to use Save As for this very reason.
Sometimes people remove the EXIF data, for unknown reasons.
Sometimes people remove the EXIF data, for unknown reasons.
Best regards, John
Posted 13/11/2013 - 20:17
Link
I wouldn't presume to suggest such a thing Steve, but when they do someone sometimes finds the image elsewhere and sends us a little note about it.
It's a bit odd really, I never feel the urge to post Pentax pictures on a Canon site. What's the point?
It's a bit odd really, I never feel the urge to post Pentax pictures on a Canon site. What's the point?
Best regards, John
Posted 13/11/2013 - 20:28
Link
Thanks John. I didn't realise one could deliberately remove this information. I always rather liked the idea of a digital finger-print which was always available for reference long after I'd forgotten the camera settings.
Apart from disguising the camera make for posting on a marque specific site such as ours, I can't imagine why someone would deliberately remove such interesting information.
Apart from disguising the camera make for posting on a marque specific site such as ours, I can't imagine why someone would deliberately remove such interesting information.
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 13/11/2013 - 21:01
Link
I have just gone through the images in my portfolio and some of my images have exif data missing. I put it down to unfamiliarity with Lightroom. There is is no advantage in deliberately removing it - nothing to gain and anyone who looked at my Flikr account would probably find it there.
Jeff
Jeff
Posted 13/11/2013 - 21:10
Link
Some of my images on Gallery carry no exif info, those being when I've used NeatImage noise reduction software (the free version). This is made clear every time I start NI up as a note on the opening screen. I try to remember to write in the exif details for that image on my post, apologies for when I forget!
Roger.
Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
Posted 13/11/2013 - 21:30
Link
I should add that nobody is suggesting that every picture with no EXIF means someone is cheating. There are many reasons why the EXIF can be wrong.
The EXIF on copied or scanned images could be anything, for example.
The EXIF on copied or scanned images could be anything, for example.
Best regards, John
Posted 14/11/2013 - 01:17
Link
Also worth pointing out is that some entries are from film camera slides or negatives that have been scanned so these will not show any EXIF data other than perhaps the scanning device and software used (unless the author has added the shooting details to the EXIF during post processing.)
John K
John K
John K
Posted 14/11/2013 - 07:03
Link
Thanks everyone for the above. I've learnt a lot!
As they say: every day a school day!
As they say: every day a school day!
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3447 posts
16 years
Somerset
As a regular viewer of the Gallery I like to check out camera, lens, ASA, aperture etc. as a clue to why a picture looks as it does.
It's not a big deal and most images have this information (including all of mine, I think!) but some don't.
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05