MIrror Flop

toothpick
Posted 05/09/2011 - 09:20 Link
So I've had my K5 from SRS for 5 weeks or so now - Bought on July 29th.

Unfortunately in that time I've had to send it back once to have the sensor cleaned, and have now had the dreaded 'mirror flop' (at least I am assuming that is what it is!). Shutter count was around 5000 when it first happened, and it only happens on a full charge.

I've put a video up showing it as there doesn't seem to be a huge number of vids out there for this problem! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O6WZjAmCI8

Unfortunately I am just outside of the 28 days since purchase so I will now have to pay to have it sent back to SRS, who will then send it on to Pentax for repair with no guarantee that the underlying problem will actually be fixed (as far as I am aware nobody seems to sure whether Pentax know exactly what is causing this!)

Has anyone else had this problem - plenty of people on pentaxforums seem to mention it, but I can't find much evidence here!

Cheers
JohnX
Posted 05/09/2011 - 09:27 Link
Don't have the K5, but understand that this is related to a faulty batch of electronic 'boards' from one supplier, so Pentax know what it is and it is fixable.
Kenty
Posted 05/09/2011 - 09:31 Link
I'm on the verge of buying a K5 but after all the sensor and shutter problems I'm beginning to have doubts. I too have looked at pentaxforums and so many people seem to have had shutter problems.

Your video demonstrates the problem well.

I'll have to have a rethink.

Cheers....John
On a dark desert highway, cool Pentax K5 in my hand.
My Kit
K5 & 18-55 Kit lens, K7, Pentax 18-250mm lens, Sigma 10-20mm lens, Sigma 105mm Macro lens, Pentax 50mm 1.7 lens, Cokin P Series Filters
toothpick
Posted 05/09/2011 - 09:45 Link
I'm really gutted at this point in time - it takes such nice photos, but I just lose confidence in it a little bit given the problems. My first one had to go back due to sensor stain!

Really hoping that Pentax DO know what it is (thanks JohnX), and that it can be fixed. My only concern is that several people on PentaxForums seem to have had theirs 'repaired' only for the same problem to re-occur.

It does make me wish sometimes that I'd gone down the Canikon route, although I love so much about the K5!
Gwyn
Posted 05/09/2011 - 09:50 Link
Sorry to hear this. It sounds like you are really unlucky with your camera. Really there are huge numbers out there with no problems, but of course they don't get the same attention as those with faults.

Give SRS a ring and talk to them I'm sure you will find them understanding and helpful.
Algernon
Posted 05/09/2011 - 12:09 Link
Good video. It quite clearly indicates that there is a problem.
I hope Pentax fix it to your satisfaction very quickly.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Smeggypants
Posted 05/09/2011 - 19:22 Link
toothpick wrote:


Unfortunately I am just outside of the 28 days since purchase so I will now have to pay to have it sent back to SRS, who will then send it on to Pentax for repair with no guarantee that the underlying problem will actually be fixed (as far as I am aware nobody seems to sure whether Pentax know exactly what is causing this!)

Eh?

Get SRS to send you a replacement and do the swap with your faulty one on the doorstep with the courier.

That's what Chris @ SRS did for me when my first K-5 had a faulty AF system. Superb service and that's why I'll buy my next lot of Pentax Cams from SRS
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
toothpick
Posted 06/09/2011 - 10:18 Link
SRS have actually been really great - I've got to email them today to arrange for collection as they've now offered this which is fantastic

I'm glad I followed the advice of the forum and bought from them!

I'll have to enquire about a substitute camera whilst I wait!

Cheers for the advice SP...nice username by the way

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo