Joined the K5 Club Yesterday, but ..........

daphnejohn

Link Posted 03/09/2011 - 20:04
Travelled down to Park Cameras in Burgess Hill yesterday and collected a K5 to replace my K10D (super showroom and excellent service by the way).

It is looking good so far, however I have encountered a problem for which I would be grateful for your advice and experience please. The dust removal facility on the K10D vibrated the sensor and you can certainly hear and feel the vibration. The K5 brochure talks about "ultrasonic vibration" and appears to work in the same way. The only thing is when I try to use it on this camera, I can't hear or feel a thing.

Is this normal on the K5, am I am missing something obvious or do I have a problem?

Thanks

John

Mike-P

Link Posted 03/09/2011 - 20:17
Yes .. its very very quiet. Nothing at all like the K10D/K20D
. My Flickr

daphnejohn

Link Posted 03/09/2011 - 20:24
Thanks, Mike. Is it totally silent? I get a faint chirp when I turn the camera on whether or not it is set to do so in the menu. When I go into the menu and try to do it manully, I get the "Dust Removal" screen but total silence.

John

Gwyn

Link Posted 03/09/2011 - 20:27
Mine is pretty much silent too. Very different to earlier models.
Congrats on the new camera - I hope you enjoy it!

Mike-P

Link Posted 03/09/2011 - 20:28
Mine is exactly the same and apart from using the rocket blower a couple of times I have never had to clean my sensor. K-7 was just as quiet.

I am not 100% sure but I think the slight chirp is SR starting up when you first switch on.
. My Flickr

daphnejohn

Link Posted 03/09/2011 - 20:56
Thank you both.

Mike - The chirp on turning on can be heard whether or not SR is turned on. I wonder if it is sensor cleaning after all.

It has been said today on the "Fed Up" thread that the sensor cleaning can be felt when setting it off manually in the menu. I can't feel or hear anything. Still a bit concerned. How can I be certain that it is working?

John

Gwyn

Link Posted 03/09/2011 - 21:21
John, I can't feel or hear mine even when I set it off.
I've only cleaned the sensor twice in 9 months so I guess it is working!

bforbes

Link Posted 03/09/2011 - 21:33
All I can tell you is that I can not hear the sensor cleaning working on my K5. However I assume that it is working due to the lack of dust spots, over much longer period when compared to the K20.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

Mike-P

Link Posted 03/09/2011 - 21:43
daphnejohn wrote:

Mike - The chirp on turning on can be heard whether or not SR is turned on. I wonder if it is sensor cleaning after all.

After a bit of searching it seems the chirp is the aperture lever moving into place every time you power on the camera.
. My Flickr

daphnejohn

Link Posted 03/09/2011 - 22:49
Thank you everyone. I am more reassured.

That was an impressive piece of detective work, Mike!

John

Purplehaze

Link Posted 04/09/2011 - 19:12
Just bought a k5 bit of a newbie to it all but I have noticed sometimes without touching any buttons etc. The camera is auto focusing all on it's own, is this a fault or do I have a setting wrong? Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks in advance
Go the extra mile!

johnriley

Link Posted 04/09/2011 - 19:24
Do you have the camera set to AF-C? This setting will cause it to continually focus.
Best regards, John

davex

Link Posted 04/09/2011 - 19:51
Quote:
sometimes without touching any buttons etc. The camera is auto focusing all on it's own, is this a fault

A definate fault if you are touching nothing, or do not have the self timer or interval timer set, or a button is not resting on something.

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
Last Edited by davex on 04/09/2011 - 19:52

Smeggypants

Link Posted 04/09/2011 - 21:59
daphnejohn wrote:
Travelled down to Park Cameras in Burgess Hill yesterday and collected a K5 to replace my K10D (super showroom and excellent service by the way).

It is looking good so far, however I have encountered a problem for which I would be grateful for your advice and experience please. The dust removal facility on the K10D vibrated the sensor and you can certainly hear and feel the vibration. The K5 brochure talks about "ultrasonic vibration" and appears to work in the same way. The only thing is when I try to use it on this camera, I can't hear or feel a thing.

Is this normal on the K5, am I am missing something obvious or do I have a problem?

Thanks

John

That's why it's called 'ultrasonic'
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Mannesty

Link Posted 04/09/2011 - 23:09
johnriley wrote:
Do you have the camera set to AF-C? This setting will cause it to continually focus.

Not quite true John. Even if set to AF-C, you need to at least half press the shutter button to activate it, and the OP stated that focussing seemed to occur "without touching any buttons".
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 04/09/2011 - 23:10
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.