Minimum membership before accessing the Classifieds?

JohnX
Posted 23/03/2011 - 15:32 Link
Seeing this, 'Pentax MZ-M pristine bodies and lenses and accessories', in the Classified Adverts Forum, (from a new member with a single post), reminds me that another forum now restricts access to their Classified section to members with a minimum of 100 posts, whether buying or selling.

What do you think?
Edited by JohnX: 23/03/2011 - 15:34
johnriley
Posted 23/03/2011 - 15:44 Link
Before we try to fix it, can we establish if it's a problem?
Best regards, John
Eastridge
Posted 23/03/2011 - 15:45 Link
I understand your point but it's what 'number of posts' to set it at as people use the forum differently. I can't see how you can say that a certain number of posts alone is the qualification.

Some 'lurk'
Some like me post only when they feel they have something 'unique' to ask / contribute - I have logged in almost every day for over 3 years but have only got above your suggested limit in the last couple of months. I have successfully bought (in person) via this forum twice.
Some join and just post any old thing on loads of threads really quickly

If we want to put a qualification on I think it needs to be only to stop people joining just to sell immediately - i.e. not if joined within the last 14 days.

Personally I don't think the issue is a 'problem' yet. If they have something to sell let them post - potential buyers can see their number of posts and their joining date etc. and make their own judgements.
Sharon's: K-x, FA35/2, DA 18-250.Glen's: K10D, DA100 Macro, 55-300, Paragon 500, Silk Pro700 Tripod
Edited by Eastridge: 23/03/2011 - 15:45
Blythman
Posted 23/03/2011 - 15:46 Link
Not talking specifically about the advert above, particularly as it directs you to ebay anyway.

But, I'm surprised by the lack of reported scams on here. Anyone who parts with money to someone who has just joined, before they have the goods in their hand, is just asking to be ripped off.

Someone new should not be surprised to be asked to send the goods before payment is made.
Alan


PPG
Flickr
gartmore
Posted 23/03/2011 - 15:51 Link
Blythman wrote:
Not talking specifically about the advert above, particularly as it directs you to ebay anyway.

But, I'm surprised by the lack of reported scams on here. Anyone who parts with money to someone who has just joined, before they have the goods in their hand, is just asking to be ripped off.

Someone new should not be surprised to be asked to send the goods before payment is made.
Well my experience here whether buying or selling has been 100% positive to newbies and until such problems manifest themselves I see no reason to think otherwise. As with everything in life it is a case of 'caveat emptor' so if others think the same as you then it is their choice to purchase or not.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Mike-P
Posted 23/03/2011 - 16:16 Link
The new 100 post / 1 month rule on TP was more about people just joining to buy or sell an item and not actually participating in with the forum itself. I actually think its a good idea, IMO i'ts damn rude to not even bother introducing yourself to the other members before jumping on the sale section to either grab a bargain of flog some equipment knowing you have a captive audience.
Mike-P
Posted 23/03/2011 - 16:19 Link
Blythman wrote:

Someone new should not be surprised to be asked to send the goods before payment is made.
I have asked for this more than a few times.
If they refuse then I just wait a little longer until what I am looking for turns up from another seller.
Father Ted
Posted 23/03/2011 - 16:19 Link
Eastridge wrote:

Some join and just post any old thing on loads of threads really quickly
Erm, that'd be me then

Seriously, though. On a site I moderate on, the rule is paid up membership, OR, registered for over 6 weeks. This stops people from using us as a cheap alternative to Ebay. However, we get a few a week trying to join just to sell their car. I don't know how big a problem it is on here.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Algernon
Posted 23/03/2011 - 18:27 Link
It you restrict adverts to people with X Posts you KILL OFF ALL THE BARGAINS!

There have been a few good 'bereavement sales' on here. I remember one with a great big long list of good stuff which went for reasonable prices. Sadly there will be more of these now that Pentax have a range going back over 50 years.

Then there was the ONE OFF sale from a non-Pentax user of the 250-600mm Zoom which went for a bargain price! Perhaps you should ask Unlocker if he thinks such posts should be banned
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 23/03/2011 - 18:28
davex
Posted 23/03/2011 - 18:35 Link
IMHO it`s up to the buyer to decide who they want to deal with, as we can all see the number of post`s made it is not a problem.
The minimum post rule will just encourage posters clogging the pages up with "welcome to the forum" messages, a great way to up your post numbers .

Davex.
K5 + 8mm-500mm zooms and primes
Please feel free to play with any images I post.
My flickr: link
petrochemist
Posted 23/03/2011 - 18:36 Link
Forcing a given number of posts only encourages meaningless posts. Which can make the forum more awkward to use - I use the recent posts section to check on anything new since I last checked, (which is sometimes only an hour or two earlier).
I think having a requirement to be a member for several weeks before selling would be a minor benefit (similar tothe delay before sending PMs), but I can't see any reason a newbie shouldn't be able to buy (If I'm selling I don't want to exclude interested buyers!).
There have been several forums I've discovered by Googleing for things I wanted to get. It's quite likely that I've become a semi active member of at least one via this route, even though I didn't end up buying through that forum.

I have brought & sold (prompted by a wanted post) through PU in my year+ of membership, but it wasn't my reason for joining.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio
johnriley
Posted 23/03/2011 - 18:42 Link
This sort of thread pops up from time to time but it's very hard to see where the problem is. Yes, it's a bit blunt and probably unwise to open with a post selling something, but it doesn't mean it's a scam.

Look at it another way. I inherit some Pentax cameras and think "Who would like these the most?" and look for a place where there are Pentax Users. I don't want to make 100 posts for the sake of it, I just have some cameras and lenses if anyone wants them. What's wrong with that?

It's no different to placing an advert in the local paper, except that it's targeted rather better.
Best regards, John
bforbes
Posted 23/03/2011 - 18:55 Link
The same would also apply to any camera shop. However that is not allowed
womble
Posted 23/03/2011 - 18:56 Link
I remember the chap with lots of excellent LX and macro stuff he was selling because his Dad had died. I bought a couple of nice items from him.

Although it may be rude just to sell without introducing oneself a bit, we do get some bargains that way. After all, with no ebay fees etc. it is a win-win isn't it?

Unless we have a flood of scam artists all of a sudden, I'd rather stick with the current system.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Mike-P
Posted 23/03/2011 - 19:09 Link
davex wrote:

The minimum post rule will just encourage posters clogging the pages up with "welcome to the forum" messages, a great way to up your post numbers .

Davex.
Thats what moderators are for.

Besides, it would be worth it just to see Mannestys head explode.
Edited by Mike-P: 23/03/2011 - 19:12

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo