memory card error

laurencea

Link Posted 03/01/2014 - 11:40
i have a small problem with a memory card in that it seems to be dead.

it was fine when i was shooting... i filled it up and placed a new one in the k-30. when i came to download the photos later the card wasn't recognised by my Mac when i plugged it in the reader.

i then tried it back in the k-30 and it took a few seconds for the camera to start up and it just read 'memory card error' on the screen and nothing else happened. i also tried it in a k-100 (with the view to download the photos off the camera).

i have looked at various recovery software sites, but as nothing will recognise the card i'm not sure they will be of any use.

any help greatly appreciated, especially as i'm a technical numpty.

ta
L
Pentax k100d, k30d 18-55, Tamron 70-300, Tamron 500 mirror, pentax 10-17, 50 1:4, a manual 28, some extension tubes and a bagful of memory cards. That's all i need... and a load of film cameras too... that's it, honest.

Gamka

Link Posted 03/01/2014 - 12:39
Firstly, move the write protect tab to stop any accidental writes to it.

What is the EXACT message you are seeing on the Mac screen?

Do you have access to a PC where you could try it too and see what error that gives? Does it ask if you want to format? The answer is NO.

It does sound as though the FAT (File Attribute Table) is corrupt. You may be able to rebuild it, or reformat and then use recovery software on the data.

laurencea

Link Posted 03/01/2014 - 12:51
there is no message on the Mac as it doesn't 'see' the card when i plug it in via a card reader.

i just tried a recovery software, but still the card isn't recognised.

when i put the card in the camera it takes a few seconds for the camera to do anything when turned on, then it just sayd "memory card error" on the rear screen (k-30) and that is it, it locks the camera.

it is deader than a norwegian blue
Pentax k100d, k30d 18-55, Tamron 70-300, Tamron 500 mirror, pentax 10-17, 50 1:4, a manual 28, some extension tubes and a bagful of memory cards. That's all i need... and a load of film cameras too... that's it, honest.

Gamka

Link Posted 03/01/2014 - 13:17
Can you get it onto a Windows based PC?

And have you write protected it yet?

CMW

Link Posted 03/01/2014 - 13:41
If the Windows PC brings no joy -- ie the card remains unrecognised -- you might try http://recoverfab.com/company.php. I can't vouch for their service, as I haven't (so far) had to use it. But I have it noted as a 'useful address', having come across positive mentions on the Internet. Quite pricey, though, so it depends how important the photos are to you.
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

laurencea

Link Posted 03/01/2014 - 14:30
yes, i write protected it - i do it as soon as a card is full anyway.

i tried a couple of systems, but no joy as they still don't detect the card. i will have a go on a windows PC at the weekend.

there's only 200 max photos that i hadn't already downloaded, but if i can get everything off i can save them all for backup.

thanks all.

L

Gamka

Link Posted 03/01/2014 - 14:45
Windows does give a little more information and might give a format option.

May also be worth trying a different adapter too - just in case.

Gamka

Link Posted 03/01/2014 - 14:50
CMW wrote:
If the Windows PC brings no joy -- ie the card remains unrecognised -- you might try http://recoverfab.com/company.php I can't vouch for their service, as I haven't (so far) had to use it. But I have it noted as a 'useful address', having come across positive mentions on the Internet. Quite pricey, though, so it depends how important the photos are to you.

I have corrected the URL by removing the full stop at the end ...

http://recoverfab.com/company.php

CMW

Link Posted 03/01/2014 - 15:58
Gamka wrote:

I have corrected the URL by removing the full stop at the end ...

http://recoverfab.com/company.php

thanks!
Regards, Christopher

ChristopherWheelerPhotography

sterretje

Link Posted 03/01/2014 - 16:41
I have had good experience with photorec in combination with Linux to recover photos from a card that was empty (according to my P&S) after three days shooting; it's also available for the Mac ( http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download )

It just needs to recognise the card at a low level to be able to work. Use the reader, not the camera.
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)

JAK

Link Posted 03/01/2014 - 17:10
I've a card that works fine through an external card reader but the PC inbuilt reader fails to do that. Try it through an external USB card reader.
John K

laurencea

Link Posted 06/01/2014 - 21:00
thanks all.

nothing has worked. i plugged straight into a windows laptop and nothing.

oh well.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.