Manual Focus Lenses...
Posted 25/11/2010 - 07:52
Link
As Dangermouse said : the 50mm & the 135mm were THE standard lenses in the film era and so there are lots of superb 50s and 135s out there.
I have two MF 135s :
SMC Takumar 135/3.5 - and I love this lens, maybe just a shade more than my Carl Zeiss Jena Electric MC Sonnar 135/3.5 (which I guess actually more people would appreciate) but both are wonderful lenses.
I have two MF 135s :
SMC Takumar 135/3.5 - and I love this lens, maybe just a shade more than my Carl Zeiss Jena Electric MC Sonnar 135/3.5 (which I guess actually more people would appreciate) but both are wonderful lenses.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 25/11/2010 - 08:16
Link
One other thing to bear in mind: You can fit M42 (screw mount) lenses to your K20D but you need an adapter, the best one is the genuine Pentax (as it's quite tricky to machine the bayonet fitting properly and 3rd party ones often don't fit too well) but this can be quite expensive. Worth factoring into your costs! It can also be fiddly to remove. If you want a specific Takumar then most of these lenses were redeveloped for the K mount with the original SMC Pentax range of 1975-77. I leave the Takumars on the Spotmatic/SV and buy the K series for my later film and digital bodies.
Are all the Zeiss-badged 135mm lenses Sonnars? I've been keeping an eye open for a cheap one as I fancy having a go with this different lens design and I now have a reliable Spotmatic to use M42 lenses on. The K-m seems to have major problems with the adapter and underexposes horribly no matter what you try.
Are all the Zeiss-badged 135mm lenses Sonnars? I've been keeping an eye open for a cheap one as I fancy having a go with this different lens design and I now have a reliable Spotmatic to use M42 lenses on. The K-m seems to have major problems with the adapter and underexposes horribly no matter what you try.
Matt
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Posted 25/11/2010 - 08:31
Link
Zeiss Sonnars : sorry not the man to ask, some very knowledgeable lads on MFLenses though.
M42 adapters : I have 3 and luckily haven't had any of the horrible (shavings in the camera) issues some people have experienced. However I now use the Pentax made adaptor exclusively - it is the highest quality one and just takes 4 or 5 secs to put on / take off instead of the messing around for 20 - 30 secs of the 3rd party adapters.
M42 adapters : I have 3 and luckily haven't had any of the horrible (shavings in the camera) issues some people have experienced. However I now use the Pentax made adaptor exclusively - it is the highest quality one and just takes 4 or 5 secs to put on / take off instead of the messing around for 20 - 30 secs of the 3rd party adapters.
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Posted 25/11/2010 - 08:35
Link
Zav wrote:
I have a K135 f2.5 somewhere. Nice lens but a lot of CA and they won't go away when stopping down.
CA is easy to eliminate via software these days. My Vivitar Series 1 28-90 really suffers from it, but otherwise is a great lens. I have a lightroom preset that zaps the CA in milliseconds.
Anvh wrote:
I know you said Pentax but what about the Voigtlander SL 125mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar?
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/267-voigtlander-sl-125mm-f25-apo-lanthar-test-...
http://www.pentaxian.nl/index.php?topic=7661.0
The lens is discontinued but the new price was around 600€/US$, I think you probably end up paying that now for secondhand though.
Don't know if you had that in mind ^^;
You would end up paying 1000+$ for this lens today...if you can find one. I know you said Pentax but what about the Voigtlander SL 125mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar?
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/267-voigtlander-sl-125mm-f25-apo-lanthar-test-...
http://www.pentaxian.nl/index.php?topic=7661.0
The lens is discontinued but the new price was around 600€/US$, I think you probably end up paying that now for secondhand though.
Don't know if you had that in mind ^^;
I have a K135 f2.5 somewhere. Nice lens but a lot of CA and they won't go away when stopping down.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 25/11/2010 - 10:29
Link
Zav wrote:
Really that's expensive, looks like a great lens though... but for that money Anvh wrote:
I know you said Pentax but what about the Voigtlander SL 125mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar?
The lens is discontinued but the new price was around 600€/US$, I think you probably end up paying that now for secondhand though.
Don't know if you had that in mind ^^;
You would end up paying 1000+$ for this lens today...if you can find one. I know you said Pentax but what about the Voigtlander SL 125mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar?
The lens is discontinued but the new price was around 600€/US$, I think you probably end up paying that now for secondhand though.
Don't know if you had that in mind ^^;
I wonder how it would preform against the Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 that goes for slightly more new.
Posted 25/11/2010 - 18:06
Link
Is their a website that explains all the different Carl Zeiss manifestations? Some I've seen a cheap and probably cheerful while some I've seen are expensive and sought after.
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 25/11/2010 - 18:15
Link
Smeggypants Posts the Number of the Beast
Cheers Jules...
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
My viewfinder is 576,000,000 pixels.
My other viewfinder is 5.76,000,000.
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com
Posted 25/11/2010 - 18:20
Link
fatspider wrote:
It's positively raging
Quote:
Is their a website that explains all the different Carl Zeiss manifestations
Is the old LBA flaring up SmeggyIs their a website that explains all the different Carl Zeiss manifestations
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 25/11/2010 - 18:21
Link
jules wrote:
Smeggypants Posts the Number of the Beast
I wondered why I suddenly felt a deep chill.
Smeggypants Posts the Number of the Beast
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Posted 25/11/2010 - 18:54
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
Is their a website that explains all the different Carl Zeiss manifestations?
If you meant with manifestations lenses then the MFlens forum might be useful, they have some reviews up or ratings.Is their a website that explains all the different Carl Zeiss manifestations?
http://www.mflenses.com/lens-review
You might find more feedback on the forum there.
Posted 25/11/2010 - 19:08
Link
Smeggypants wrote:
I also have the mentioned Voigtlander 125. No need to fix any CA with this one Zav wrote:
I have a K135 f2.5 somewhere. Nice lens but a lot of CA and they won't go away when stopping down.
CA is easy to eliminate via software these days. My Vivitar Series 1 28-90 really suffers from it, but otherwise is a great lens. I have a lightroom preset that zaps the CA in milliseconds.Anvh wrote:
I know you said Pentax but what about the Voigtlander SL 125mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar?
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/267-voigtlander-sl-125mm-f25-apo-lanthar-test-...
http://www.pentaxian.nl/index.php?topic=7661.0
The lens is discontinued but the new price was around 600€/US$, I think you probably end up paying that now for secondhand though.
Don't know if you had that in mind ^^;
You would end up paying 1000+$ for this lens today...if you can find one. I know you said Pentax but what about the Voigtlander SL 125mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar?
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/267-voigtlander-sl-125mm-f25-apo-lanthar-test-...
http://www.pentaxian.nl/index.php?topic=7661.0
The lens is discontinued but the new price was around 600€/US$, I think you probably end up paying that now for secondhand though.
Don't know if you had that in mind ^^;
I have a K135 f2.5 somewhere. Nice lens but a lot of CA and they won't go away when stopping down.
To answer Stefan question: the Zeiss is supposed to be better wide open in the extreme corners on 24x36. On the other hand, the Zeiss is "only" a 1:2 macro lens while the Voigtlander is a 1:1. Color rendition seems to be different as well.
Posted 25/11/2010 - 19:28
Link
Thanks Zav, they are both too expensive for me at the moment though.
1:2 is actually good enough for me and it's f/2 lens but nah, I've the DFA 100mm i'm happy with.
Maybe I'll keep my eye open for something like a Carl Zeiss Jena Olympic Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 have heard good things about that lens and it will give me more reach.
1:2 is actually good enough for me and it's f/2 lens but nah, I've the DFA 100mm i'm happy with.
Maybe I'll keep my eye open for something like a Carl Zeiss Jena Olympic Sonnar 180mm f/2.8 have heard good things about that lens and it will give me more reach.
Posted 25/11/2010 - 19:33
Link
The CZ 135mm f/3.5 are all Sonnar's as far as I know. They usually have a Red S on them. Older ones actually say Sonnar. I don't think the performance varies that much although a lot of people think the earlier Zebra lenses were better for bokeh. The grease used on them wasn't very good and they are usually quite stiff. Beware of any f/2.8's some were rebadged Japanese lenses imported by the UK importer and not an official CZ lens (only sold in the UK and Serial No's never sent to Jena. So CZ Germany have no records of them).
Test here
I prefer the Russian lenses.
Test here
I prefer the Russian lenses.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



83 posts
16 years
LHR
I know you said Pentax but what about the Voigtlander SL 125mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar?
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/267-voigtlander-sl-125mm-f25-apo-lanthar-test-...
http://www.pentaxian.nl/index.php?topic=7661.0
The lens is discontinued but the new price was around 600€/US$, I think you probably end up paying that now for secondhand though.
Don't know if you had that in mind ^^;
I have a K135 f2.5 somewhere. Nice lens but a lot of CA and they won't go away when stopping down.
Stay hungry, stay foolish!
Find me on the PPG: link