Make my mind up time.
Posted 09/08/2007 - 09:59
Link
Quote:
I don't know what you are getting all hot and bothered about, it's as if you are trying to dismiss the K100D and having a go at people who try to differentiate the two models....
Not at all, sorry if it seems that way. If you read what I wrote, you'll see that I've said nothing at all to diss the K100D. I realise that it's a very good camera, and I've listed a number of things that might lead one to choose it rather than the K10D.I don't know what you are getting all hot and bothered about, it's as if you are trying to dismiss the K100D and having a go at people who try to differentiate the two models....
If I sound hot and bothered, it's because the K100D has been described as "simple", and the K10D as "something to aspire to", but no one seems to be able to explain why this is, and I get frustrated when I don't understand something.
And if no one can explain why it's so, maybe it shouldn't in itself be cited as a reason for choosing the K100D. There are other reasons, I know, perfectly valid ones.
Posted 09/08/2007 - 11:48
Link
Hi all,
Didn't think I would start such a debate with my post, I have used all the modes on my G7, now use only Av, Tv & M, my ME Super has helped me try to get my head around the basics, I do enjoy useing it & can't see myself getting rid of it, the price factor does come into it, get most for your money, I've no plans to turn pro, so to me the K100, seems to fit the bill, I've seen some great results with the K 100, the K10 I know is a better camera, but would I use or need the extra stuff.
Dave
Didn't think I would start such a debate with my post, I have used all the modes on my G7, now use only Av, Tv & M, my ME Super has helped me try to get my head around the basics, I do enjoy useing it & can't see myself getting rid of it, the price factor does come into it, get most for your money, I've no plans to turn pro, so to me the K100, seems to fit the bill, I've seen some great results with the K 100, the K10 I know is a better camera, but would I use or need the extra stuff.
Dave
AfcDav
Posted 10/08/2007 - 09:02
Link
It's difficult for me to give advice, I don't own a K10, so I can't really compare ease of use with my K100 that I'm now pretty used to.
For me, the advantages I listed are significant and outweigh the disadvantages and this means I won't be changing to a K10 even though they are coming down in price.
There are obviously some things the K10 does better, - yes, I do notice the pentamirror is darker than my MEF, for example, but not so much that I have been inconvenienced (although if they had put a pentaprism in the K100 super I'd seriously have considered trading in for that). The 10mp vs 6mp debate seems somewhat of a red herring for a non-professional user also - both seem perfectly adequate for most conditions and purposes, but with different strengths and weaknesses when pushed near their limits.
All I was really trying to point out is that the comparison is not as simple as there being a 'junior' and 'senior' version of the same camera, there are a few things going for the K100 that the K10 doesn't have.
For me, the advantages I listed are significant and outweigh the disadvantages and this means I won't be changing to a K10 even though they are coming down in price.
There are obviously some things the K10 does better, - yes, I do notice the pentamirror is darker than my MEF, for example, but not so much that I have been inconvenienced (although if they had put a pentaprism in the K100 super I'd seriously have considered trading in for that). The 10mp vs 6mp debate seems somewhat of a red herring for a non-professional user also - both seem perfectly adequate for most conditions and purposes, but with different strengths and weaknesses when pushed near their limits.
All I was really trying to point out is that the comparison is not as simple as there being a 'junior' and 'senior' version of the same camera, there are a few things going for the K100 that the K10 doesn't have.
Posted 10/08/2007 - 09:14
Link
Quote:
Hi all,
Didn't think I would start such a debate with my post, I have used all the modes on my G7, now use only Av, Tv & M, my ME Super has helped me try to get my head around the basics, I do enjoy useing it & can't see myself getting rid of it, the price factor does come into it, get most for your money, I've no plans to turn pro, so to me the K100, seems to fit the bill, I've seen some great results with the K 100, the K10 I know is a better camera, but would I use or need the extra stuff.
Dave
My take on this. You won't really know if you need the extra controls or perfromance of the K10d until you have one for several months. I have the K100d and I think I would appreciate and use the faster frame to frame rate (the K100d is quite slow after only 3 shots in RAW mode) and the control buttons on the k10d. But I don't regret buying the k100d and would probably do the same again because :- it was a lot cheaper, it is smaller and lighter (a plus point for me) and it takes AA batteries (again a plus point for me).
Hi all,
Didn't think I would start such a debate with my post, I have used all the modes on my G7, now use only Av, Tv & M, my ME Super has helped me try to get my head around the basics, I do enjoy useing it & can't see myself getting rid of it, the price factor does come into it, get most for your money, I've no plans to turn pro, so to me the K100, seems to fit the bill, I've seen some great results with the K 100, the K10 I know is a better camera, but would I use or need the extra stuff.
Dave
Posted 10/08/2007 - 11:44
Link
Thanks to everybody who posted, I think I'll go with the K100D, but if the K10 drops to under £400, [dream on], just like to say I try to read posts a couple of times a week, info, banter & ideas, first rate & I would have been lost in Pentax world without you, thanks all again, I will return soon, thats not a threat.
cheers Dave
cheers Dave
AfcDav
Posted 10/08/2007 - 12:52
Link
The fact is that if one size really did fit all, there would be no need for manufacturers to make different models, and indeed, no need for more than one manufacturer.
If there weren't a market for the K100D, Pentax wouldn't make it.
The fact is, there is a large market for it. Its features and price have a wide appeal.
G
If there weren't a market for the K100D, Pentax wouldn't make it.
The fact is, there is a large market for it. Its features and price have a wide appeal.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 10/08/2007 - 13:04
Link
Quote:
Its features and price have a wide appeal.
Indeed. I'm considering it as a second body rather than a second '10.Its features and price have a wide appeal.
Smaller, cheaper, ISO 3200, AA batteries, better with old lenses... not a bad complement really.
Posted 10/08/2007 - 13:14
Link
Quote:
Smaller, cheaper, ISO 3200, AA batteries, better with old lenses... not a bad complement really.
Smaller (and lighter!) NiceGeorge Lazarette wrote:
Its features and price have a wide appeal.
Indeed. I'm considering it as a second body rather than a second '10.Its features and price have a wide appeal.
Smaller, cheaper, ISO 3200, AA batteries, better with old lenses... not a bad complement really.
Cheaper Nice
ISO 3200 Not a major factor for me.
AA batteries Nice
Old lens compatibility Nice
You've almost persuaded me, too. But not quite.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 10/08/2007 - 13:16
Link
Quote:
You've almost persuaded me, too. But not quite.
Well, I haven't quite persuaded me, either
You've almost persuaded me, too. But not quite.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1694 posts
20 years
Richmond / Denbigh
For the original poster.... get yourself down to a camera shop that stocks both, if you like the look and feel of the K10D, and can afford it. If you think it's too heavy and expensive then the K100D will satisfy your every need.