Macro lenses

robbie_d
Posted 24/05/2010 - 10:37 Link
Hi all,

Looking for a 100mm(ish) macro lens, and at the moment, give or take a few quid the Pentax DFA 100mm, Tamron 90mm and Sigma 105mm are all available for the same price (either new or barely used).

Has anyone got experience of two (or all) of these lenses?

Regards

Rob
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
johnwhit
Posted 24/05/2010 - 11:06 Link
Hi Rob

I prefer the Tamron to the Sigma, I've owned both, it's just a personal preference regarding OoF rendering. I prefer the build of the old FA to the DFA and the DFA has no focus limiter which puts me off it somewhat.

Regards,

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
i-Berg
Posted 24/05/2010 - 11:15 Link
Rob,

I only have the Tammy, no experience with the other two.

I have a colleague who likes his Pentax, and swears by it.

If they are all the same price, you would not go wrong with either, I'm thinking! You will likely end up manually focussing your macro shots anyway, so the lack of a focus limiter may not be the deal breaker you think it is, should you choose to stay with Pentax.

That said, some reviews put the Tammy marginally ahead of the Pentax in terms of sharpness.

Your call.
robbie_d
Posted 24/05/2010 - 11:19 Link
Thanks for the swift responses guys.

Although to date, I've stuck with a Pentax-only lens policy, I'm drawn to the Tamron. Reviews seem to state that it's either as good as, if not slightly better than the Pentax.

The ultimate would be the new WR Macro from Pentax, but that is £550+, and unlikely to be that much better than the three I've mentioned.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
thoughton
Posted 24/05/2010 - 11:26 Link
The one nice thing about the WR Macro, which I don't think the other three have, is the curved aperture blades. Although I don't know if I'd pay an extra £250 for them!
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27”, Macbook Pro 17”, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr • Fluidr • PPG • Street • Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Pentaxophile
Posted 24/05/2010 - 12:56 Link
I have a rather nice Tamron 90mm which cost me under a hundred. From what I have read there's no benefit to the newer version apart from autofocus - which I don't really miss on a macro lens.
robbie_d
Posted 24/05/2010 - 15:14 Link
I've just seen a new D-FA 100mm Macro for £290, which seems a cracking price. Cheapest new UK price for the Tamron is £320, Sigma about the same.

I think I might be going for the Pentax at this rate...
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
johnwhit
Posted 24/05/2010 - 15:40 Link
Hi rob,

At that price I'd be tempted too if I only wanted the lens for Macro, it's just that I use mine as a short telephoto from time to time, so it's very much a personal choice.

Regards,

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
robbie_d
Posted 24/05/2010 - 15:53 Link
johnwhit wrote:
Hi rob,

At that price I'd be tempted too if I only wanted the lens for Macro, it's just that I use mine as a short telephoto from time to time, so it's very much a personal choice.

Regards,

John
That's a very good consideration actually, I'd imagine the Tamron might be slightly more flexible, with it being 90mm.
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Mike-P
Posted 24/05/2010 - 16:43 Link
Sigma 70mm macro .. lovely lens, sharp as can be and my most used macro.
johnwhit
Posted 24/05/2010 - 17:16 Link
Mike-P wrote:
Sigma 70mm macro .. lovely lens, sharp as can be and my most used macro.
That was on my short list when I sold the 105mm EX but I already decided on the DA-70/2.4 Ltd at that length, the Tamrom 90mm filled the gap nicely between the DA-70 & FA-135/2.8. I'd love a DA-15/4 to complete my prime kit but at £600.... well it will have to wait

John
PPG link

In LBA hiatus.
robbie_d
Posted 25/05/2010 - 09:57 Link
Oh well, taken the plunge on the Pentax D-FA 100mm, now just need it (and my K20d) to arrive!
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
hefty1
Posted 25/05/2010 - 10:22 Link
robbie_d wrote:
Oh well, taken the plunge on the Pentax D-FA 100mm, now just need it (and my K20d) to arrive!
Good choice! It was the best lens when it was nearly twice the price of the others, now they're all roughly the same it's a no-brainer IMHO.
Joining the Q
robbie_d
Posted 25/05/2010 - 10:32 Link
Cheers Hefty. The only slight problem is I'm probably going to have a macro lens, but no camera to attach it to for a while!
If you can't say something nice about Pentax, you won't say anything at all.

Apparently.
Mannesty
Posted 25/05/2010 - 10:38 Link
robbie_d wrote:
The only slight problem is I'm probably going to have a macro lens, but no camera to attach it to for a while!
Did you never watch Blue Peter? Make one from an old Ice cream carton and some sticky backed plastic tape.

The D-FA 100mm lens is very good indeed. I bought one of the £299 offerings in a 'tatty box' and I'm extremely happy with it.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo