Macro lens advise
Posted 03/05/2010 - 15:31
Link
John, that's quite some distance
The 18-55 is the best close focusing zoom with 1:2,9 magnification, for normal sizes flowers that's good enough for tulips and things like that smaller flowers might be a problem.
The DA 17-70 is the second best pentax zoom lens with 1.3,1 magnification.
the Sigma 17-70 Macro sounds like it would focus very close but with 1:2,7 it's a bit disappointing
The 18-55 is the best close focusing zoom with 1:2,9 magnification, for normal sizes flowers that's good enough for tulips and things like that smaller flowers might be a problem.
The DA 17-70 is the second best pentax zoom lens with 1.3,1 magnification.
the Sigma 17-70 Macro sounds like it would focus very close but with 1:2,7 it's a bit disappointing
Posted 03/05/2010 - 15:40
Link
It's mostly down to mechanical design (the Bessamatic was a complex bit of engineering) and the laws of optics. As lenses focus closer, the light fall off changes the effective aperture. The aperture value holds well down to about 1:10, which is why 50mm lenses focus down to around 50cm (actaully 45cm for Pentax) - the design gets more awkward if you want to focus closer, and the price goes up.
Modern zooms seem to happily break all these optical rules - they don't really of course but new technology has found new solutions.
Modern zooms seem to happily break all these optical rules - they don't really of course but new technology has found new solutions.
Best regards, John
Posted 03/05/2010 - 16:41
Link
Unlocker wrote:
There seem to be a lot of Pentax 100mm DFA Macro for sale on eBay for £299 at the mo. At this price, I'm just surprised they are still for sale! Clicky
I did my bit and bought one, not from that seller though. It arrived and was exactly as described. Box a bit scuffed but otherwise unopened and brand new.There seem to be a lot of Pentax 100mm DFA Macro for sale on eBay for £299 at the mo. At this price, I'm just surprised they are still for sale! Clicky
I haven't tried it yet, lens and I about 1000 miles apart, but if it lives up to expectations there could well be an SMCP-FA 100mm Macro available soon.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 03/05/2010 - 18:13
Link
There seem to be a number of sellers all selling just this one pentax lens...all based in Manchester, so probably the same vendor!
Why that particular lens was chosen to grey-import in bulk then flog on ebay I've no idea...
Why that particular lens was chosen to grey-import in bulk then flog on ebay I've no idea...
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Posted 03/05/2010 - 22:12
Link
I have both the 50 and 100 macro lenses, and even though my macro centres on plants rather than insects I still greatly prefer the latter due to working distance. The 50 is great for indoor closeups, but if I could only have one for traditional outdoor macro I would have that. There are numerous alternatives to the DFA 100:
*The Tamron 90mm (~£350 new) and Sigma 105mm (~£380 new) are both extremely good lenses, comparable in image quality to the Pentax (it really is a tossup, I have the DFA100 because Park had them on offer at £270 a while ago!)
*Various old Pentax (e.g. 100mm f4) and third party (Vivitar-Tokina 90mm, Tamron 90mm) lenses. Bear in mind that some of the good ones can be upwards of £100 used - though obviously that is still about a third of the price of the new AF lenses
*The Tamron 90mm (~£350 new) and Sigma 105mm (~£380 new) are both extremely good lenses, comparable in image quality to the Pentax (it really is a tossup, I have the DFA100 because Park had them on offer at £270 a while ago!)
*Various old Pentax (e.g. 100mm f4) and third party (Vivitar-Tokina 90mm, Tamron 90mm) lenses. Bear in mind that some of the good ones can be upwards of £100 used - though obviously that is still about a third of the price of the new AF lenses
Posted 03/05/2010 - 22:16
Link
If I didn't already have both the D-FA and FA 100mm Macro lenses, at £299 I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
That is silly money for a fantastic lens.
That is silly money for a fantastic lens.
Best regards, John
Posted 05/05/2010 - 09:41
Link
Would something like this initially do the trick??
PENTAX SMC- F f/4-5.6 35-80mm A/F lens :
alternatively there is this one:
PENTAX A 28-80mm MACRO
There are some of them on Ebay.
PENTAX SMC- F f/4-5.6 35-80mm A/F lens :
alternatively there is this one:
PENTAX A 28-80mm MACRO
There are some of them on Ebay.
Regards
Fred de Klein
Pentax K-x, Standard Lens Kit, 18-55 & 50-200,
Pentax SMC DFA Macro 100mm F2.8
... soon to be strengthened by Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6
Milton Keynes, UK
Have mercy ... requires a lot of help
Fred de Klein
Pentax K-x, Standard Lens Kit, 18-55 & 50-200,
Pentax SMC DFA Macro 100mm F2.8
... soon to be strengthened by Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6
Milton Keynes, UK
Have mercy ... requires a lot of help
Posted 05/05/2010 - 15:59
Link
Reversing rings can do the trick as well, though you have to hold the aperture open on automatic lenses.. Check out Poor-Man's Macro on Flickr for some examples and other ideas.
Posted 14/05/2010 - 23:20
Link
Tamron 90mm is a great contender... and rated very well in reviews...
Check it at photozone.de...
Check it at photozone.de...
regards,
rkt
rkt
Posted 14/05/2010 - 23:30
Link
Depends how cheap you want to go.
I use a Marumi close up filter to good effect on a digital compact with 72mm filter (not that compact...). It cost around £20 from Microglobe, and was well worth the money. Cameraworld also sell them and I am sure they would pair well with the kit zooms.
You could also use extension tubes, which will give great image quality but will certainly require a tripod. PKA extension tubes for Pentax are hard to find and expensive when you do (upwards from £50).
I would not hesitate to buy a manual focus macro lens - auto focus is not always terribly useful with a macro. I have a Pentax 50mm SMCM 1:2 lens which is pocketable and great quality. For longer reach, my first secondhand choice would be the original Tamron 90mm f2.5 lens. Around £100 if you can track a good one down.
I use a Marumi close up filter to good effect on a digital compact with 72mm filter (not that compact...). It cost around £20 from Microglobe, and was well worth the money. Cameraworld also sell them and I am sure they would pair well with the kit zooms.
You could also use extension tubes, which will give great image quality but will certainly require a tripod. PKA extension tubes for Pentax are hard to find and expensive when you do (upwards from £50).
I would not hesitate to buy a manual focus macro lens - auto focus is not always terribly useful with a macro. I have a Pentax 50mm SMCM 1:2 lens which is pocketable and great quality. For longer reach, my first secondhand choice would be the original Tamron 90mm f2.5 lens. Around £100 if you can track a good one down.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



24425 posts
24 years
Tyldesley,
Manchester
You can actually focus quite close with the 18-55 kit lens, around 1:2,9 I at least found it close enough.