Macro Lens
Posted 21/01/2008 - 12:48
Link
Quote:
I've just seen that a Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro lens has appeared on e-bay. I think this is the one I remember, goes to 1:2 native and 1:1 with adapter. The dealer's blurb suggests it's a star product but there are lies, damn lies and ....
Assuming you mean this one?I've just seen that a Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro lens has appeared on e-bay. I think this is the one I remember, goes to 1:2 native and 1:1 with adapter. The dealer's blurb suggests it's a star product but there are lies, damn lies and ....
If I was going to bid, I would ask that the seller takes another photo of the adaptor, with less light shining on the element and a dark background. From this pic it looks a bit 'smoky', which I'm guessing could be fungus, or it might just be a smeary element? Could just be that pic though.
Also, the seller doesn't know his minimum from his maximum apertures...
Don't forget you'd also need an M42 adaptor.
Dan
K-3, a macro lens and a DA*300mm...
Posted 21/01/2008 - 13:20
Link
Quote:
I've just seen that a Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro lens has appeared on e-bay. I think this is the one I remember, goes to 1:2 native and 1:1 with adapter. The dealer's blurb suggests it's a star product but there are lies, damn lies and ....
If it's a '70s lens it'll be OK. The more recent "Series 1" lenses are rubbish.I've just seen that a Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro lens has appeared on e-bay. I think this is the one I remember, goes to 1:2 native and 1:1 with adapter. The dealer's blurb suggests it's a star product but there are lies, damn lies and ....
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 23/01/2008 - 19:12
Link
I purchased a Sigma 105DG macro two years ago and it works just fine and the images are very sharp.
I understand Tamron is also good but have not personally used that lens.
quote="Ratcatcher"]Hi All
Can anyone please recommend a good macro lens for my K10D.[/quote]
I understand Tamron is also good but have not personally used that lens.
quote="Ratcatcher"]Hi All
Can anyone please recommend a good macro lens for my K10D.[/quote]
Posted 23/01/2008 - 20:03
Link
I'm keeping an eye on three lenses at the moment Sigma AF MF 105mm f2:8 macro and a Pentax PK 100mm f4 Macro + 50mm macro/extension tube and a Tamron SP90 adaptal-2 f2:5 + extension tube on e-bay . What do you think?.
Posted 25/01/2008 - 18:09
Link
How much difference does the aperature make in Macro as the Pentax is F4 and the Sigma F2:8 & the Tamron F2:5. I've found out some info on the Pentax & Tamron models but not much on the Sigma anyone used it.
Posted 25/01/2008 - 18:28
Link
Quote:
How much difference does the aperature make in Macro as the Pentax is F4 and the Sigma F2:8 & the Tamron F2:5. I've found out some info on the Pentax & Tamron models but not much on the Sigma anyone used it.
You would seldom in normal circumstances want to use a macro lens wide-open, so the only advantage is a brighter viewfinder for focussing.How much difference does the aperature make in Macro as the Pentax is F4 and the Sigma F2:8 & the Tamron F2:5. I've found out some info on the Pentax & Tamron models but not much on the Sigma anyone used it.
And, of course, if you use the lens for non-macro work, 1:2.8 might be nice to have.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 25/01/2008 - 18:29
Link
Not a lot of difference in that macro lenses are almost always used at small apertures anyway as DOF is so limited up close.
The f4 aperture of the Pentax means the construction can be simpler (better contrast), the corrections are simpler (better performance) and the size of the lens is more compact.
The f4 aperture of the Pentax means the construction can be simpler (better contrast), the corrections are simpler (better performance) and the size of the lens is more compact.
Best regards, John
Posted 25/01/2008 - 19:06
Link
The Sigma also has EX ( whatever that means )
One other thing that i had'nt thought of is which one would perform better with my K10D.
One other thing that i had'nt thought of is which one would perform better with my K10D.
Posted 25/01/2008 - 19:25
Link
You have a K10D and two fine Pentax lenses, so you already know the answer....
Best regards, John
Posted 25/01/2008 - 19:30
Link
Thanks John
Say no more.
Do you think though that £140 is a good price to pay.
Say no more.
Do you think though that £140 is a good price to pay.
Posted 25/01/2008 - 19:39
Link
It depends on the condition and the version. I have bought SMC Pentax-M 100mm f4 Macro lenses in mint condition for under £100, but these days prices are going up rapidly.
I would pay a good price for one of these lenses in Mint or Near Mint condition.
Someone showed me a superb example of the SMC Pentax-A 100mm f4 Dental Macro Lens today. Beautiful. I'd pay £150 for that one, but it wasn't for sale...
I would pay a good price for one of these lenses in Mint or Near Mint condition.
Someone showed me a superb example of the SMC Pentax-A 100mm f4 Dental Macro Lens today. Beautiful. I'd pay £150 for that one, but it wasn't for sale...
Best regards, John
Posted 25/01/2008 - 19:42
Link
It's being sold by Camera Classics Cameras have you heard of them.
Take a look.
Take a look.
Posted 25/01/2008 - 19:56
Link
You know whenever I pop into the AP Forum I get this terrible sense of deja vu....
Thanks for the tip on the lens I'll have a look.
Thanks for the tip on the lens I'll have a look.
Best regards, John
Posted 25/01/2008 - 20:01
Link
Yes John i know exactly what you mean.
Strange that.
Strange that.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


829 posts
20 years
Edinburgh
I've just seen that a Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro lens has appeared on e-bay. I think this is the one I remember, goes to 1:2 native and 1:1 with adapter. The dealer's blurb suggests it's a star product but there are lies, damn lies and ....