Macaws and more
Posted 24/09/2012 - 09:33
Link
Real nice sharp shots, Mat. Good job!
Regards,
Jeeess
Regards,
Jeeess
K-5, K-7 and K10D, Pentax 18-135 WR,18-55 WR,Pentax 28-105,Sigma 28-300, Sigma 28-80 (Macro) and Pentax 50-200 WR.
Posted 24/09/2012 - 10:45
Link
I like the black background in contrast to brightly coloured birds in shots 1,6 and 7, it works really well. Would you be willing to tell how you achieved that?.
I also like the meerkat
Mark
I also like the meerkat
Mark
Posted 24/09/2012 - 18:36
Link
Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments.
Mark - I generally black out the backgrounds where I want to (if I can't manage it 'in camera using flash etc.) with the 'burn' tool in photoshop elements. There are probably a number of ways to achieve the same end but the burn tool is what I find works for me. It is located with the 'dodge' and 'sponge' tools, and once selected you have the ability to decide what size and shape of 'brush' to use to paint the burn (i.e. darkening) into the picture, and also whether to use a hard edged brush or a soft edged. I generally find that using a big brush with a high proportion of burn (50-100%) is very good for blacking out big chunks of area; once I get close to the edges with the section I want to leave un-burned, then I use a smaller soft-edged brush with a burn of about 10% and do a number of sweeps to gradually black out the background leaving the main subject untouched and (hopefully) not leaving an artificial edge between the subject and the black background.
I also sometimes use the vignette tool to darken corners in a convenient way ( for instance pic 7 here has a corner vignette whereas pic 1 does not). I rather like B/W pics where there is just a single subject in a mostly black frame (like the Meerkat here) and a combination of vignetting and burning can achieve this pretty quickly
Hope that helps
Cheers
Mark - I generally black out the backgrounds where I want to (if I can't manage it 'in camera using flash etc.) with the 'burn' tool in photoshop elements. There are probably a number of ways to achieve the same end but the burn tool is what I find works for me. It is located with the 'dodge' and 'sponge' tools, and once selected you have the ability to decide what size and shape of 'brush' to use to paint the burn (i.e. darkening) into the picture, and also whether to use a hard edged brush or a soft edged. I generally find that using a big brush with a high proportion of burn (50-100%) is very good for blacking out big chunks of area; once I get close to the edges with the section I want to leave un-burned, then I use a smaller soft-edged brush with a burn of about 10% and do a number of sweeps to gradually black out the background leaving the main subject untouched and (hopefully) not leaving an artificial edge between the subject and the black background.
I also sometimes use the vignette tool to darken corners in a convenient way ( for instance pic 7 here has a corner vignette whereas pic 1 does not). I rather like B/W pics where there is just a single subject in a mostly black frame (like the Meerkat here) and a combination of vignetting and burning can achieve this pretty quickly
Hope that helps
Cheers
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1474 posts
17 years
West London,
UK
1. Macaw says hello
2. Optimistic Meerkat
3. Dragon pauses for a breather
4. Looks like the terrapins are in a huff
5. One of the proud 'stars' of the zoo... a noble(ish) looking caribbean Flamingo
6. Showing off
7. Great Green Macaw doing his ablutions
8. Close up
9. Just hangin'...
I hope you like these; any C&C welcome as ever. As usual there are more (and a growing number!) on my flickr.
Cheers all
My Flickr: link