Lytes Cary
Posted 26/06/2010 - 22:06
Link
Very pleasing, really liked the mono shots and did note that you seem to have a liking for knobs and handles, was it something in your childhood
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Posted 26/06/2010 - 22:33
Link
Lovely set ,i particularly like the colourful one of the artist at work. do you do much post production ? your pictures are always wonderfully sharp and colourful.
regards, tim.
regards, tim.
Posted 27/06/2010 - 00:12
Link
Really nice set of pictures. Liked all the close shots - the focus points where excellent and gave depth to the images.
My overall favorite was the spiral staircase, the light patch in the middle gave a real symetry to the picture
My overall favorite was the spiral staircase, the light patch in the middle gave a real symetry to the picture
K5, K200d (IR @ 720NM), X-5
Posted 27/06/2010 - 00:28
Link
Andrew - a stunning collection, which has certainly inspired me to pay more attention to items I would otherwise ignore.
Posted 27/06/2010 - 09:18
Link
Thanks very much everyone. Glad you liked them (and were able to view them, I hope, without your computers slowing down too much). I know the images were mixed and to some extent disparate and, as such, not to everyone's taste but they seemed to work together as a way of telling the story of the place.
Thordell wrote:
did note that you seem to have a liking for knobs and handles, was it something in your childhood
Not sure how to take that! I'll have to get an analyst and let you know if he discovers any deep, dark secrets involving ancient door furniture.
did note that you seem to have a liking for knobs and handles, was it something in your childhood
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 27/06/2010 - 20:05
Link
A great set of pictures and a great way of showing them.
Posted 27/06/2010 - 22:41
Link
Andrew there are some real corkers in there. The first two shots, croquet on the lawn, the artist shots, the dandelion shot, all excellent. I like the faded look you have achieved on some of them. The first shot works so much better in mono and with your levels treatment. In the colour version, the dense greens unbalance the composition IMO.
Not quite floating my boat are the shot with ceanothus in front of the window - a little unsatisfying compositionally, for me... the mono lily - the tones are a little flat.... Mahogany and light - the very bright areas are a bit distracting... The shot with the two urns, which is cropped uncomfortably for me through the window behind the urns.
The overall impact of the images is very very good though. I think it would be great to present the cream of the crop directly on the forum.
Not quite floating my boat are the shot with ceanothus in front of the window - a little unsatisfying compositionally, for me... the mono lily - the tones are a little flat.... Mahogany and light - the very bright areas are a bit distracting... The shot with the two urns, which is cropped uncomfortably for me through the window behind the urns.
The overall impact of the images is very very good though. I think it would be great to present the cream of the crop directly on the forum.
Posted 27/06/2010 - 23:03
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
I feel I must mention these negatives lest some self appointed comment-policer turn up and criticise me for not taking this forum seriously enough!
Who could he mean? I feel I must mention these negatives lest some self appointed comment-policer turn up and criticise me for not taking this forum seriously enough!
Generally speaking, not at all bad. The portrait of the artist didn't work for me, but I thought all the full-colour pictures of the house and grounds worked well, with lovely colour and very good composition. These pictures made the set for me.
I'd have omitted the close-ups because they don't tell us anything about the subject. I also have reservations about the b&w. As Andrew modestly pointed out, he thought I-Berg's work in this area was better than his, and I think he is right. I can't offer any suggestions, because my own b&w skills are below adequate.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 27/06/2010 - 23:19
Link
A very different approach to showing them. A good collection. Numbers two and nineteen being my favourites.
Regards
Regards
Too far from a shore.
Posted 28/06/2010 - 11:05
Link
Thanks everyone for your kind and considered comments. I'm glad that you liked at least some of the images. I may use this method of showing them in future: it's so easy to avoid them if you have to click on a link.
George Lazarette wrote:
[I also have reservations about the b&w... he thought I-Berg's work in this area was better than his...
G
I very much enjoy black and white conversions, it's how many of us started in photography, of course, but despite ensuring that I have as complete a range of tones as possible and adequate sharpness they're often a bit disappointing. I suspect, if they were ever printed, they'd fall well short of a good old fashioned darkroom print. i-Berg's set from the vintage train place shimmered and had a silvery depth to them which I do envy!
[I also have reservations about the b&w... he thought I-Berg's work in this area was better than his...
G
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 28/06/2010 - 15:26
Link
Some real eye catchers among them enjoyed the slide show well done and nice work.
Ian
Ian
Posted 28/06/2010 - 18:45
Link
Thanks Ian. The slide show idea seems to have found favour. It avoids too much clicking once in the site but of course stops one dwelling over a particular image or hustling another along!
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


3447 posts
16 years
Somerset
I've organised them into a slideshow which should cut down on the amount of clicking needed and the annoying flashing adverts. I hope the link works and you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoyed taking and processing them.
http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad116/ADC3440/Lytes%20Cary/?albumview=slideshow
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05