Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Lucky find

womble
Posted 08/07/2011 - 18:17 Link
My lady love spotted a Pentax camera for sale in the local "Save the Children" charity shop and as it was only £5 bought it for me. Imagine my delight to find it is a working MX! Unfortunately, someone has dropped it on the corner near the wind-on lever so there is a dent, and the lever doesn't spring back as well as it should, but everything looks fine and the light meter works. The seals need changing of course, but for £5 I am very pleased indeed. Isn't she wonderful? My lady love, I mean, of course!

Does anyone have a spare MX top-plate they want to sell?

Best wishes, Kris.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
johnriley
Posted 08/07/2011 - 18:46 Link
Excellent find, what a wonderful lady love you have!
Best regards, John
Dangermouse
Posted 08/07/2011 - 18:49 Link
That's incredible luck.

You might be able to gently tap the dent out of the top plate. Use blocks of wood to soften the hammer blows and provide a former (after removing it from the camera, obviously!)
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 08/07/2011 - 19:06 Link
That´s a great deal. Even with a seal replacement it´s still dirt cheap.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
hefty1
Posted 08/07/2011 - 19:06 Link
I've got three spare MX top plates but they're all as bad as (worse in one case) the one you've got. My working MX has a dent in the same place too, but not quite as deep - sorry fella! Lots of other spare bits up for grabs though if you want to tackle the wind lever?

I'd certainly have paid a fiver if I'd seen it though, so congrats to you both.
Joining the Q
Dangermouse
Posted 08/07/2011 - 20:45 Link
The seals are very simple to replace DIY, the kits cost about £7 including postage from the USA.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Mikerobe
Posted 09/07/2011 - 23:51 Link
There is, coincidentally, a "mint" top plate for an MX on ebay (seller in UK) unfortunately it is a black one (ebay id 250849732589)

Mike 8-{>
Zav
Posted 10/07/2011 - 00:40 Link
Mikerobe wrote:
There is, coincidentally, a "mint" top plate for an MX on ebay (seller in UK) unfortunately it is a black one (ebay id 250849732589)

Mike 8-{>

Interesting, thanks for this info.
Xavier
Stay hungry, stay foolish!
Find me on the PPG: link
womble
Posted 10/07/2011 - 11:42 Link
Mikerobe wrote:

Mike 8-{>

I know, I have been eyeing that one although the top plate on my black MX is in fairly good nick.

Thanks anyway, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.