Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Lubitel anyone?

MikeyJay
Posted 30/05/2013 - 17:14 Link
I am trying to get a lubitel so I can have a go at medium format. Does anyone have one they don't want?
It's not about the equipment; it's the results you achieve with it.
JAK
Posted 30/05/2013 - 17:37 Link
Why not go for a Pentax (Pentax 645, Pentax 6x7)? Or do you really want a toy?

John K
John K
Edited by JAK: 30/05/2013 - 17:38
gartmore
Posted 30/05/2013 - 18:08 Link
I think you might do better looking on a Lomography or Russian camera forum, the site is for Pentax users i
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
mikew
Posted 30/05/2013 - 19:18 Link
There's a chap on Ludlow market who has a range of film cameras and lenses. He had a Yashicamat TLR last time I was there. A nice day out from the Black Country.
---------------------------------------------------

You can see some of my shots at my Flickr account.
johnha
Posted 30/05/2013 - 22:06 Link
This isn't the right forum for this, I'd recommend avoiding the 'Lomography' forums (or ignoring a lot their content) because the Lubitel is better than that.

Don't knock the Lubitel, it is (or at least was) a cheap - rather than toy - camera. It has a few drawbacks when using it that the more expensive cameras don't have, but the results can be very good. The first prints I got out of mine were better (size for size) than I got using Ektar 25 on an MX with M series lenses. The lens is a bit soft (my prints were about as sharp as my 135 ones from M series lenses), but the tonal graduation on the larger format is much smoother than 135 film could deliver.

Prices went silly a few years ago when 'Lomography' became trendy, I paid £18 in the '90s and think they're worth £20-30 today but no more.

My 166U has the following characteristics:
- The focusing screen is completely clear (un-ground) apart from a circle in the centre, focusing requires some patience.
- You have to look straight down the screen axis to see the whole frame.
- There's no interlock between shutter release and film winding (via the window on the back), makes multiple exposures a doddle.
- My 6x4.5 mask scratched the film.

Be careful though, my Lubitel was the first of a large collection of medium format gear (and no, its not for sale).

John.
thoramay
Posted 31/05/2013 - 08:50 Link
Hi. I have a lubitel 2 in pristine condition, if you are determined to go that route.

regards.

thoramay.
Jonathan-Mac
Posted 31/05/2013 - 15:39 Link
Good luck with the Lubitel. I've seen some very cheap and others at ridiculous prices.

Medium format is addictive as it offers considerably superior IQ to 135. I started with a Pentax 645, which is very nice, now I also have an old Zeiss folder and I have provisionally reserved a Yashica TLR...
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X and Panasonic L digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses
MikeyJay
Posted 01/06/2013 - 11:11 Link
Ridiculous is the word. I have seen one for sale on Ebay for £267.00 !!!!!!!!!!! I mean come on. Good tip about having a look at Ludlow - only a short drive from where I live. I wish someone could tell me WHY Russian gear is suddenly so desirable.
MikeyJay
Posted 01/06/2013 - 11:11 Link
thoramay wrote:
Hi. I have a lubitel 2 in pristine condition, if you are determined to go that route.

regards.

thoramay.

Yep. Tell me more !
Hardgravity
Posted 01/06/2013 - 12:02 Link
CLICKY LINK

These are just a selection of folding cameras that are large format, I've used most and can recommend the Bessa, sharp but not too easy to use.

The Kodak No2 Brownie gives remarkable images for a 100 year old design.

If you decide to get into large format it can be fun, but beware....

As for the Lubitel, I've yet to use mine...
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

PPG entries.
johnha
Posted 01/06/2013 - 14:04 Link
MikeyJay wrote:
Ridiculous is the word. I have seen one for sale on Ebay for £267.00 !!!!!!!!!!! I mean come on. Good tip about having a look at Ludlow - only a short drive from where I live. I wish someone could tell me WHY Russian gear is suddenly so desirable.

For that price you could get a very nice Mamiya C330 which offer interchangeable lenses - which was my next step in medium format.
thoramay
Posted 01/06/2013 - 14:10 Link
Hi mickeyjay.

It is pristine condition in a smart!! plastic case.

It owes me £10. bought it a while ago at a car boot. Used it a couple of times but my shaky hands made it difficult to get pics that was not shake ridden.
Welcome to it for what I paid plus postage.
Can e.mail you with a pic if you pp me with your e.mail address.

regards thoramay.
womble
Posted 05/06/2013 - 21:53 Link
The lens on the Lubitel 2 is much better than the later models. Mine is suprisingly sharp. If you look in my Ipernity photosteam (http://www.ipernity.com/doc/288579/album) you'll see a number of albums of Lubitel images. There is a certain element of hit or miss when it comes to focus and framing but I am very fond of mine, although just lately it has been surplanted by an Agfa Isolette 2. The latter was very expensive (£12.50) compared to the Lubi (£0.00). Have fun with it, I do with mine.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
MikeyJay
Posted 07/06/2013 - 17:46 Link
Picked up an Agfa Isola II yesterday...

£10. In lovely condition, full working order. I bought 2 rolls of FP4 today. I am gonna have FUN. You know, like we USED to have as photographers!!!!

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.