Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

course content recommendations??

adwb
Posted 24/06/2010 - 11:29 Link
This is I suspect a bit of a difficult question to answer but here goes.
A colleague of mine from Malaysia was asking me about a course on portrait and maybe wedding photography,as he would like to pursue this for employment when he returns home.He is of the opinion that a certificate / diploma from England will carry a lot of weight in Malaysia.
I told him there are lots advertised on the Internet go Goggle.
He did and came back with the question, how do you decide who to use? they all claim to have "world famous / respected "photographers on the staff, they all seem to offer both home and day courses.I suggested perhaps some one who offered a recognised certificate/ diploma at the end.That got me thinking and I started looking as well. In response to a couple of emails I sent to these schools the question of recognised qualification was ,shall we say, glossed over.
So what should my colleague be looking for , what questions should he ask , or dare I ask, will anyone recommend a course?
Alistair
Assorted Pentax bodies and lenses as well as Sony and Olympus kit
Edited by adwb: 24/06/2010 - 11:30
adwb
Posted 25/06/2010 - 09:59 Link
Aw, come on will no one stick their head over the parapet?
Any suggestions toward what to look for would help him.
These courses seem to be a lot of money to shell out without knowing what you should get.
Alistair
jon.dc
Posted 25/06/2010 - 20:28 Link
I did A level photography at evening school but it took two years to compete (one evening a week). It is a recognised qualification though. They also do some OCN portrait courses that last for 10 weeks. As far as the other general courses advertised in magazines I am not sure if they actually carry a recognised qualification.

One "professional" photography course I looked intimated you got a diploma but when quizzed it was not recognised by any institute. I personally would want to have a recognised certificate at the end of the course.
adwb
Posted 26/06/2010 - 01:09 Link
jon.dc wrote:

One "professional" photography course I looked intimated you got a diploma but when quizzed it was not recognised by any institute. I personally would want to have a recognised certificate at the end of the course.

that was my impression as well, I was hoping some one would say I used "xyz school" and would recommend them for portrait photography, so i coud pass the info on to my friend from Malaysia
Alistair
Pentaxophile
Posted 26/06/2010 - 01:38 Link
I think in terms of 'qualifying' as a photographer, joining a professional body such as the British Institute of Professional Photographers is the official route - they approve new members on the basis of their portfolio, rather than running courses, although they do have a mentoring scheme.

If I was choosing a course, i'd go for ND or HND which are nationally recognised awards.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
geclinke
Posted 26/06/2010 - 12:37 Link
Take a look at this;
link
I did the course and found it useful. You can use the points from the award for further study if you want to as well.
It's all internet based, with good course materials, so you can study at your own pace.
I guess only an individual would know whether their level of expertise would not benefit from doing the course.
k5, 50mm FA, 18-55mm Kit, 50-200mm DA, 15mm Fisheye Sigma, 10-17mm DA Fisheye, 18-55mm DA WR, DA* 60-250, DA* 16-50
jon.dc
Posted 27/06/2010 - 13:05 Link

At least its a recognised course. They also do similar modules at local colleges.
Gwyn
Posted 27/06/2010 - 13:38 Link
There are also City and Guilds courses which will give a recognised certificate.

http://www.cityandguilds.com/3703.html
adwb
Posted 27/06/2010 - 19:55 Link
Thank you for the suggestions, The OU course might be of use to him from a qualification and access point,
Gwen thank you also for the City & Guilds suggestion, that I fear won't work as it appears to be college based only which he can't attend.
what is interesting is the lack of comments favourable or not for any of the courses to be found on the Internet by "photography schools"
I have forward your suggestions on the my colleague.
Regards
Alistair
Edited by adwb: 27/06/2010 - 19:55
mattie
Posted 07/06/2013 - 12:32 Link
I'll bump rather than start a new thread.

There's an offer on an Institute of Photography course - I recall seeing this organisation mentioned in a few photo mags (although I think they run ads in AP, although there seem to be a lot with very similar names!)

https://uk-offers.timeout.com/deals/institute-of-photography?cid=OFET2130607MAINUK

No idea if it's reputable or useful as a intro, I'd be interested to hear if anyone here has undertaken a course with them.
gartmore
Posted 07/06/2013 - 12:50 Link
An RPS distinction might be more impressive
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
mattie
Posted 07/06/2013 - 15:51 Link
Agreed, although it depends whether a course is intended to prove or improve.
mattie
Posted 07/06/2013 - 15:57 Link
Following on from Ken's note, for those who have received an RPS distinction, how taxing are they to get?

The Licentiateship requires work to be submitted, so it's not really a course but a goal to aim at, but I'm interested as I've got a bit 'aimless' in my photography. I'd be keen to hear how those who have gone this route have found it - I've never even considered a hanging order for my images before!

Eta: found thread on this:
https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/royal-photographic-society-licentiateship...
Edited by mattie: 07/06/2013 - 16:01
johnha
Posted 07/06/2013 - 22:27 Link
Most of the 'professional' courses I've seen in the past seemed more tuned to providing a one-stop-shop wedding/portrait portfolio from staged weddings/models etc. than providing a meaningful qualification. Whilst building a suitable portfolio is important, I'd rather go about this independently.

There is also a distinction between showing you're a great photographer (RPS distinction etc.) and showing you can run a photography business and won't 'no-show' on the big day (or go bankrupt before it).

I suspect the only the UK qualifications that would be recognised internationally would be an RPS distinction or a BIPP qualification, see here: link

Regards,

John.
Smeggypants
Posted 08/06/2013 - 04:27 Link
johnha wrote:
Most of the 'professional' courses I've seen in the past seemed more tuned to providing a one-stop-shop wedding/portrait portfolio from staged weddings/models etc. than providing a meaningful qualification. Whilst building a suitable portfolio is important, I'd rather go about this independently.

There is also a distinction between showing you're a great photographer (RPS distinction etc.) and showing you can run a photography business and won't 'no-show' on the big day (or go bankrupt before it).

I suspect the only the UK qualifications that would be recognised internationally would be an RPS distinction or a BIPP qualification, see here: link

Regards,

John.

The ONLY thing that can show you're a great photographer is your photographs ( portfolio) . Academic qualifications are meaningless for such.

And I would completely agree that neither academic qualifications or a great portfolio can show "you can run a photography business and won't 'no-show' on the big day (or go bankrupt before it)".
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.