Love Pentax k30

MattyH

Link Posted 01/09/2013 - 17:36
When I was a teenager many moons ago, all I had was a Pentax k1000 and a 50mm and was happy as Larry. I then part exchanged the 50mm for a 28mm and a few months later i part ex the 28mm for a 35mm, always only having a single lens in my kit.

Fast forward 20 very odd years later and I do have a few more lens but I do still go out most times with a single prime lens, at the moment that's a Sigma 30mm f1.4 I bought on here this last week. Before that a 21mm f3.2.

I find myself being more relaxed having just a single lens with me, yes I have to think a little bit more and maybe even use my feet as well a bit more but I am not always swapping and changing lenses all the time,

No more lugging a large and heavy bag saves my back and the wife and kids moaning at me because I have to stop every 2 minutes as I have the wrong lens fitted.

But everybody's different, I just find I can concentrate on the image more and not the tools.

McGregNi

Link Posted 01/09/2013 - 17:48
I did the same just last couple of days with the kids - feeding ducks and chasing squirrels one day with the Tamron adaptal 135mm f2.8 - had to stand right back, moving around a lot, but the results are great - beautiful perspectives, fast speeds, lovely colours (a bit of PF to worry about in some).

Then today a playground & forest walk with 14mm f2.8. This time shooting right up close, frame-filling, completely different perspective (!) but great again - totally different dynamic to the images. I wouldn't have wanted to swap around, just get right into what you're doing with the one lens and make the most of it.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

mrfrosty

Link Posted 01/09/2013 - 17:58
Its nice to hear lots of people have various ways of enjoying their hobby . After all that is what it is all about.....
Dave...

MattyH

Link Posted 01/09/2013 - 18:02
McGregNi wrote:
I did the same just last couple of days with the kids - feeding ducks and chasing squirrels one day with the Tamron adaptal 135mm f2.8 - had to stand right back, moving around a lot, but the results are great - beautiful perspectives, fast speeds, lovely colours (a bit of PF to worry about in some).

Then today a playground & forest walk with 14mm f2.8. This time shooting right up close, frame-filling, completely different perspective (!) but great again - totally different dynamic to the images. I wouldn't have wanted to swap around, just get right into what you're doing with the one lens and make the most of it.

How do you get on with the Samyang?

Just today been looking at the 8mm and 14mm,

I take it you just pre focus set a small ish aperture and most things will be in focus? I like to shoot on the fly and the hip hence why these have caught my imagination and wallet
Last Edited by MattyH on 01/09/2013 - 18:03

McGregNi

Link Posted 01/09/2013 - 19:15
Samyang is brilliant! Mostly I use it for Landscapes at f11 or so. But it has its uses for other stuff like I was talking about - you just have to get up very close and personal! Theres plenty of shots with the Samyang 14mm on my Gallery here

link

And I've been using 'Catch in Focus' with my manual lenses - very happy with that, but thats another story - I am going to start a new thread soon.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 01/09/2013 - 19:18

The_archaeologist

Link Posted 01/09/2013 - 20:04
Karl wrote:
Dave, I have only picked up my K10D in the last few days. I have not touched it for the best part of a year - my wife bought me a Fuji X10 for Christmas and I have found it quite liberating to not have to cart a load of gear around so i know exactly where you are coming from.

I love the little X10, but since picking up my K10D again I now really fancy a K5 as they have dropped so much in price.
I am also after a Sigma 10-20. How do you find yours?

Funnily enough the K10D happened to be my first DSLR (for no other reason other than it came as a bundle at a good price) I still have it and use it regularly- it feels like an old friend now. I subsequently acquired a white bodied K30 when they first came out and from a visual perspective when shackled to a big black 500 lens, it definitely looks the dogs danglies.
The K30 is a damned fine camera by any standard, though like you I also felt myself being seduced by the K5...until that is, they sprang the K5II & K5IIs on us along with the most recent K500 & K50. As I've posted elsewhere on this forum, I personally find this sudden glut of models suspiciously tinged with corporate cynicism, particularly in view of the damned near pinhead separation of specs between each model!
The whole thing smacks of pure sales orientated strategy and thinking at the expense of Pentax's former characteristic niche philosophy quite frankly!

ronniemac

Link Posted 01/09/2013 - 20:31
MrB wrote:
I think you have made an excellent choice in the X100s. I like to have different focal lengths available, so when travelling very light I take a Lumix LX7, which I'm keeping until the day that Pentax produce a compact like the MX-1 but with a viewfinder!

Philip

I so look forward to the LX-1 (MX-1 with viewfinder, hot-shoe and weather sealing, etc)!

The_archaeologist

Link Posted 24/09/2013 - 20:02
The_archaeologist wrote:
Karl wrote:
Dave, I have only picked up my K10D in the last few days. I have not touched it for the best part of a year - my wife bought me a Fuji X10 for Christmas and I have found it quite liberating to not have to cart a load of gear around so i know exactly where you are coming from.

I love the little X10, but since picking up my K10D again I now really fancy a K5 as they have dropped so much in price.
I am also after a Sigma 10-20. How do you find yours?

Funnily enough the K10D happened to be my first DSLR (for no other reason other than it came as a bundle at a good price) I still have it and use it regularly- it feels like an old friend now. I subsequently acquired a white bodied K30 when they first came out and from a visual perspective when shackled to a big black 500 lens, it definitely looks the dogs danglies.
The K30 is a damned fine camera by any standard, though like you I also felt myself being seduced by the K5...until that is, they sprang the K5II & K5IIs on us along with the most recent K500 & K50. As I've posted elsewhere on this forum, I personally find this sudden glut of models suspiciously tinged with corporate cynicism, particularly in view of the damned near pinhead separation of specs between each model!
The whole thing smacks of pure sales orientated strategy and thinking at the expense of Pentax's former characteristic niche philosophy quite frankly!

I take it that the overwhelming response to my lateral comments here indicate that nobody cares to look beyond the bling...

...So what can I say beyond enjoy the photographic ride you're quite possibly being taken on by the camera industry folks.

mrfrosty

Link Posted 25/09/2013 - 10:11
I have to agree with you on this matter, all companies whatever type they are like to give the impression that they are there for our benefit , when they are only trying to make as much cash from the consumer that they can. I feel that the K30 will last me for as long as it works as it is more than good enough for me. Unfortunately most people fall into the trap of thinking the better the camera the better the photo. I am sure if I was to own a superfast car it would not make me a better driver than Lewis Hamilton

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 25/09/2013 - 10:21
The_archaeologist wrote:
I personally find this sudden glut of models suspiciously tinged with corporate cynicism, particularly in view of the damned near pinhead separation of specs between each model!

...So what can I say beyond enjoy the photographic ride you're quite possibly being taken on by the camera industry folks.

I don't agree at all... putting high end features into cheaper bodies does not feel like I'm being taken for a ride at all - quite the reverse! At the moment Pentax are on fire in the 'bang per buck' stakes, especially if you take a K30/K50 model.

What really would be 'cynical' is if they crippled or limited their lower end models, as Canikon tend to do (smaller viewfinders, no weather sealing etc)...
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 25/09/2013 - 10:23

mrfrosty

Link Posted 25/09/2013 - 10:30
I agree that Pentax are great performers and great value......but why so many new models with not many changes ?.........can only be for marketing....
Dave.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 25/09/2013 - 10:43
We had a debate about the K30-K50 progression... personally I think they had a great camera in the K30 that should have been a been more of a contender... but they realised they possible overdid the styling (although I personally don't mind it, some reviewers whined!) and decided to do a makeover model to appeal to more traditional minded togs.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 25/09/2013 - 10:44

johnriley

Link Posted 25/09/2013 - 10:54
Whichever way you look at it, the value and quality of Pentax are spot on. That really should be enough, but it may be coloured by our world-view. The everyone does everything for selfish reasons logic is a bit bleak IMHO.

Sometimes people just want to be of good service, hoping that by being so the business will come their way. If it does and they do well, that doesn't need to change into something else in our minds, does it?
Best regards, John

mrfrosty

Link Posted 25/09/2013 - 10:59
I can see the reasoning .........but it all comes back to marketing......because that's where all companies make there profits from.......I think on a personal level if you are more than happy with what you have then if you don't renew for four or five years you will see a benefit in quality..........with most things in life the better things get the smaller the difference in upgrading too quickly.....
Dave..

johnriley

Link Posted 25/09/2013 - 11:10
I would never underestimate the pleasure derived from using quality items. The MX-1 is a case in point - absolutely sublime and utterly gorgeous. If the leatherette didn't fit properly or the supplied battery had a label on it that was peeling off (like a Rollei battery I once had in a new camera) then it would spoil it for the sake of penny-pinching.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.