Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Lost photos is it camera or card problem?

caj26
Posted 20/02/2014 - 20:39 Link
Just got back from Tunisia, downloaded off my lexar16gb card lots of photos missing ( all the best ones of course!!!) Also some I took and checked using the B&W in camera filter,have downloaded in full color.The camera is the K3. I have tried the lexar recovery 4 software but didn't get anythingany advice appreciated thanks.
gartmore
Posted 20/02/2014 - 20:48 Link
Moved to the right place
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
johnriley
Posted 20/02/2014 - 23:59 Link
When you say lots of photos missing, could it be that you have a mixture of RAW and JPEG and the viewing software can't see the RAW files?
Best regards, John
pentaxian450
Posted 21/02/2014 - 02:19 Link
The pictures are likely RAW if the B&W show up in color in the program used to open them.

It might help us shed some light on the subject if we knew what program you used to import the files on your computer.
Yves (another one of those crazy Canucks)
Gamka
Posted 21/02/2014 - 09:00 Link
And slide the WRITE protect switch along to stop any further writes or deletions from the card and preserve the data that might or might not be on it.
Prufrock
Posted 21/02/2014 - 20:28 Link
When I had a problem a while ago, I found a program called 'Photorec' that that was able to recover everything on the card, including ones that a software crash appeared to have lost. It's a Linux program, mind you - see this page for more. It was quite easy to use - and a great relief!

If you use Windows, I expect you'll be able to find something similar.
A few pictures on Flickr
caj26
Posted 22/02/2014 - 17:25 Link
I used Picasa as I normally do. I think I used JPEG only although I normally use raw only. Thanks.
gwing
Posted 23/02/2014 - 02:49 Link
If you haven't already done this could you try putting the card in a card reader attached to a PC and tell us what files are actually there in the directory? If you are lucky the card and pictures may be perfect and the problem just to do with the Picasa download.
caj26
Posted 23/02/2014 - 09:51 Link
My son got me to put the card back in my camera and check the photos, they are not thereall my best shots of course
Prufrock
Posted 23/02/2014 - 21:21 Link
Hi caj26: all may not be lost. What sometimes happens is that a glitch damages the index on the memory card, so that your computer/camera can't find the images themselves. With a bit of luck the JPEG or RAW files will still be there, but without the index your computer can't find where they are. That's what I found when I used the Photorec recovery program I mentioned above - it looks at everything on the SD card, not just the index file, and then helps you rescue 'lost' items.

As suggested above, write protect the card and don't use it again till you've tried some rescue software. I've had another look at the Photorec page - and realised I was wrong to imply it was only for Linux - works on Windows and MacOS too. Give it try - it's free.

Hope it works!
A few pictures on Flickr
caj26
Posted 23/02/2014 - 21:38 Link
Thanks I will give it a go.
caj26
Posted 24/02/2014 - 16:04 Link
Put another card in the camera,Camera says no card in camera.was able to take photos but still kept saying no card in camera moved ports, formatted card still came up the same appeared to take shots but none available to download. By the way camera froze on me two weeks ago.
dougf8
Posted 24/02/2014 - 17:07 Link
Something to be said for "breaking in" boots before a long trek. The same can be said for hi tech too.

Take everything back to the shop and get them to look it over.....
Lurking is shirking.!
caj26
Posted 26/02/2014 - 22:20 Link
Pentax have given same advice thanks.

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.