Logical Progression
Posted 17/09/2012 - 22:05
Link
Hello Jonathan, hope you're enjoying your K-x and the PU website!
I upgraded from a K-x to a K-5 about 7 months ago and have also kept the K-x. Here's what I think.
Notwithstanding features, the K-5 is a better camera because of the following:
1. K-5 colour depth is better
2. Images are more detailed (not massively so, though)
3. K-5 is better constructed, metal, not polycarbonate
4. K-5 is better at high ISO, but K-x is very, very good also in this regard and is a great low light tool
5. K-5 is weather-sealed, K-x is not, although I've used mine in light rain with no issues, I wouldn't want to take it out in anything other than drizzle
6. Shutter is very quiet and smooth on the K-5, important if you like taking wildlife shots
7. K-5 is massively better on the autofocus front - quicker and more accurate
8. K-5 is more ergonomic and handles better
9. K-5 has a lock on the mode adjustment dial - this may seem like a small thing but it's invaluable when out in the field as you can't accidentally change settings
10. K-5 has a better screen (higher resolution) and it's easier to review images on the camera
In short, I love the K-5 and it's a big step up from the K-x but doesn't take that much getting used to after owning a K-x for a year or so. However, the K-x is a superb camera and whether or not it is worth you upgrading depends how enthusiastic you are and what you intend to use the camera for. I actually prefer my K-x for some types of shots, macro is one area where its light weight and small size can be an advantage. I have no plans to sell the K-x at present and it still gets used a lot, but make no mistake, the K-5 is a different and better beast.
I hope this is helpful!
Regards
David
I upgraded from a K-x to a K-5 about 7 months ago and have also kept the K-x. Here's what I think.
Notwithstanding features, the K-5 is a better camera because of the following:
1. K-5 colour depth is better
2. Images are more detailed (not massively so, though)
3. K-5 is better constructed, metal, not polycarbonate
4. K-5 is better at high ISO, but K-x is very, very good also in this regard and is a great low light tool
5. K-5 is weather-sealed, K-x is not, although I've used mine in light rain with no issues, I wouldn't want to take it out in anything other than drizzle
6. Shutter is very quiet and smooth on the K-5, important if you like taking wildlife shots
7. K-5 is massively better on the autofocus front - quicker and more accurate
8. K-5 is more ergonomic and handles better
9. K-5 has a lock on the mode adjustment dial - this may seem like a small thing but it's invaluable when out in the field as you can't accidentally change settings
10. K-5 has a better screen (higher resolution) and it's easier to review images on the camera
In short, I love the K-5 and it's a big step up from the K-x but doesn't take that much getting used to after owning a K-x for a year or so. However, the K-x is a superb camera and whether or not it is worth you upgrading depends how enthusiastic you are and what you intend to use the camera for. I actually prefer my K-x for some types of shots, macro is one area where its light weight and small size can be an advantage. I have no plans to sell the K-x at present and it still gets used a lot, but make no mistake, the K-5 is a different and better beast.
I hope this is helpful!
Regards
David
Posted 17/09/2012 - 22:25
Link
David, thank you for your reply it is very informative and helpful........Iit seems that the piggy bank may have to be raided!
Regards
Jonathan
[Hello Jonathan, hope you're enjoying your K-x and the PU website!
I upgraded from a K-x to a K-5 about 7 months ago and have also kept the K-x. Here's what I think.
Notwithstanding features, the K-5 is a better camera because of the following:
1. K-5 colour depth is better
2. Images are more detailed (not massively so, though)
3. K-5 is better constructed, metal, not polycarbonate
4. K-5 is better at high ISO, but K-x is very, very good also in this regard and is a great low light tool
5. K-5 is weather-sealed, K-x is not, although I've used mine in light rain with no issues, I wouldn't want to take it out in anything other than drizzle
6. Shutter is very quiet and smooth on the K-5, important if you like taking wildlife shots
7. K-5 is massively better on the autofocus front - quicker and more accurate
8. K-5 is more ergonomic and handles better
9. K-5 has a lock on the mode adjustment dial - this may seem like a small thing but it's invaluable when out in the field as you can't accidentally change settings
10. K-5 has a better screen (higher resolution) and it's easier to review images on the camera
In short, I love the K-5 and it's a big step up from the K-x but doesn't take that much getting used to after owning a K-x for a year or so. However, the K-x is a superb camera and whether or not it is worth you upgrading depends how enthusiastic you are and what you intend to use the camera for. I actually prefer my K-x for some types of shots, macro is one area where its light weight and small size can be an advantage. I have no plans to sell the K-x at present and it still gets used a lot, but make no mistake, the K-5 is a different and better beast.
I hope this is helpful!
Regards
David[/quote]
Regards
Jonathan
[Hello Jonathan, hope you're enjoying your K-x and the PU website!
I upgraded from a K-x to a K-5 about 7 months ago and have also kept the K-x. Here's what I think.
Notwithstanding features, the K-5 is a better camera because of the following:
1. K-5 colour depth is better
2. Images are more detailed (not massively so, though)
3. K-5 is better constructed, metal, not polycarbonate
4. K-5 is better at high ISO, but K-x is very, very good also in this regard and is a great low light tool
5. K-5 is weather-sealed, K-x is not, although I've used mine in light rain with no issues, I wouldn't want to take it out in anything other than drizzle
6. Shutter is very quiet and smooth on the K-5, important if you like taking wildlife shots
7. K-5 is massively better on the autofocus front - quicker and more accurate
8. K-5 is more ergonomic and handles better
9. K-5 has a lock on the mode adjustment dial - this may seem like a small thing but it's invaluable when out in the field as you can't accidentally change settings
10. K-5 has a better screen (higher resolution) and it's easier to review images on the camera
In short, I love the K-5 and it's a big step up from the K-x but doesn't take that much getting used to after owning a K-x for a year or so. However, the K-x is a superb camera and whether or not it is worth you upgrading depends how enthusiastic you are and what you intend to use the camera for. I actually prefer my K-x for some types of shots, macro is one area where its light weight and small size can be an advantage. I have no plans to sell the K-x at present and it still gets used a lot, but make no mistake, the K-5 is a different and better beast.
I hope this is helpful!
Regards
David[/quote]
A very happily using a K30. My wife says I have too many lenses.
Posted 17/09/2012 - 22:28
Link
The learning curve is not too steep, but to get the best from a K-5 you need to take your photography fairly seriously. Some of the better togs / more professional members on the site will be able to demonstrate this better than me, but I do enjoy the K-5 and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Regards
David
Regards
David
Posted 17/09/2012 - 22:39
Link
I had Kx, KR and now K5 over the last three years.
The K5 is much the better camera (you get what you pay for)but does require more thought.
I found setting up the five user modes for action shots, landscape, night photos etc very helpful. I love the improved AF, quieter shutter/mirror action, better build, better controls, top LCD, dust resistance and a bright real pentaprism.
Do I take better photos? probably not. Do I enjoy my photography more, definitely!
I also love the 18 - 135 DA WR lens I've added recently. It is so much the right for the camera it was made for.
The K5 is much the better camera (you get what you pay for)but does require more thought.
I found setting up the five user modes for action shots, landscape, night photos etc very helpful. I love the improved AF, quieter shutter/mirror action, better build, better controls, top LCD, dust resistance and a bright real pentaprism.
Do I take better photos? probably not. Do I enjoy my photography more, definitely!
I also love the 18 - 135 DA WR lens I've added recently. It is so much the right for the camera it was made for.
Posted 17/09/2012 - 22:52
Link
I delivered my K-x to its new owner today just as my K5 arrived...
Not really had a chance to put the K5 through its paces yet but am shooting tomorrow in the gallery where I work - We've made a makeshift studio for part of a new exhibition...
The 'snaps' I've taken today with the K5 lead me to believe there's a lot more detail in shadowy areas captured with the K5 than the K-x...
File sizes are a little bigger (as expected)
AF is significantly quicker with 'most' of my lenses; the exception being the D-Xenon 100mm 2.8 macro lens which is focusing slower than it did on the K-x... (anyone know why?)
K5 feels really solid... Has a heft to it that the K-x does not... it's comfortable to hold and just feels more, More...
Not had a chance to shoot in the rain yet but this is something I'm looking forward to... (although I only have a 50-200mm WR lens)
It does feel like a significant upgrade.
Not really had a chance to put the K5 through its paces yet but am shooting tomorrow in the gallery where I work - We've made a makeshift studio for part of a new exhibition...
The 'snaps' I've taken today with the K5 lead me to believe there's a lot more detail in shadowy areas captured with the K5 than the K-x...
File sizes are a little bigger (as expected)
AF is significantly quicker with 'most' of my lenses; the exception being the D-Xenon 100mm 2.8 macro lens which is focusing slower than it did on the K-x... (anyone know why?)
K5 feels really solid... Has a heft to it that the K-x does not... it's comfortable to hold and just feels more, More...
Not had a chance to shoot in the rain yet but this is something I'm looking forward to... (although I only have a 50-200mm WR lens)
It does feel like a significant upgrade.
........................................................................
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/
Posted 18/09/2012 - 19:52
Link
Thank you all for your comments, you all seem most enthusiastic for the K-5 and it seems that the investment will be one worth taking.
Time to save and drop the odd hint in equal measure, in the meanwhile I shall continue to learn and enjoy my K-x!
Thank you again, your advice is appreciated
Regards
Jonathan
Time to save and drop the odd hint in equal measure, in the meanwhile I shall continue to learn and enjoy my K-x!
Thank you again, your advice is appreciated
Regards
Jonathan
A very happily using a K30. My wife says I have too many lenses.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


45 posts
14 years
Am I being seduced by features?
Would either capture better quality images?
How resilient to the elements is a K-x?
Thanks for your thoughts, I find the forum a great source of information ( and amusement)