Lockdown StarTrails/Timelapse
Posted 14/05/2020 - 19:13
Link
I can't comment on any of the tech settings, as I know nothing about astrophotography, but the image is fascinating. What I do notice is the colour differences in the various star tracks. I do like the overall picture!
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.
Posted 15/05/2020 - 08:52
Link
Superbly well done
Did you lay the K1 on its back or was it tripod mounted ?
Did you lay the K1 on its back or was it tripod mounted ?
Chris
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk
" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".
-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8, Pentax A 50mm F1.2
K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
Posted 15/05/2020 - 10:42
Link
Thanks all for thoughts and comments re these...
Martin, am not an astro expert, but assume the difference in colour of the trails has something to do with a) proximity b) brightness... the further away/less bright, the fainter, and the less pure white... there's some difference as well in the blue/magenta component of various bits of the sky, which will be to do with ambient light from elsewhere I'd imagine (we live not far from the city centre)...
Chris, thanks for this... yes, used a tripod... pointing vertical... as close to the ground as I could get it... I have a Benro travel tripod and Vanguard head, which are pretty solid...
Best
Martin, am not an astro expert, but assume the difference in colour of the trails has something to do with a) proximity b) brightness... the further away/less bright, the fainter, and the less pure white... there's some difference as well in the blue/magenta component of various bits of the sky, which will be to do with ambient light from elsewhere I'd imagine (we live not far from the city centre)...
Chris, thanks for this... yes, used a tripod... pointing vertical... as close to the ground as I could get it... I have a Benro travel tripod and Vanguard head, which are pretty solid...
Best
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1357 posts
14 years
The shot below was taken using the K1ii and the F17-28 from our back garden. Interval timer, ISO 800, 30 secs exposure, f 5.6, 1 sec between shots. Set it off at the end of blue hour (9.30pmish), and just let it go till the battery ran out. Ended up with 280ish shots, across 2 1/2 hours. Blended them in Starstax. Here's the result:
I also thought I'd try out the "StarStream" feature on the K1ii. Not something I've ever used before, but it's been on a number of recent Pentax cameras, so thought I'd give it a whirl. Basically it takes a bucketload of stills, blends them into one seamless HD stream, and outputs it as a movie. Not dissimilar to a timelapse, but done in the camera in real time. I've added some titles and a soundtrack, so if you're interested, do click on
Lockdown StarStream
to a link to the page on my website to have a look. Just click on the picture at the bottom, and it'll play the movie (it's under a minute)...
Thanks for looking. All thoughts, comments, suggestions very welcome as ever...
Best
Immersive
BillWardPhotography
Instagram
Facebook